• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino de Madrid April/May 2019

Rhomer

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2017)
Portugues (2017)
Podiensis (2018)
Norte (2018)
Hello all

Feeling rather underprepared, but setting off from Madrid on Wednesday! It's been wonderful reading the threads and I've been poring over all the info on Gronze. I think I can complete it in 10/11 days before meeting friends on the CF before heading off again on the San Salvador & Primitivo. However, I've still got a load of questions and would love any advice you can give!
  1. It looks pretty warm in the general area from next week but how cold can it get up in the mountains and what clothes equipment might be needed?
  2. What guidebook/app/map would you recommend?
  3. Where are Ray and Rosa? I keep seeing their names cropping up but seem to have missed where they are!
  4. I read something about bulls on the path that got me a little nervous but couldn't find any solutions! Any tips I might have missed?
It would be great to hear from anyone who's done the path and can answer the above or advise on unmissable stopping places or offer any other tips.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
1. A couple of weeks ago I walked the pass with three layers (a shirt and two Decathlon hiking sweaters/jumpers) and light gloves. But that was during a cold snap with sub-zero temperatures, so I don’t think you need to go overboard if the forecast looks good. Check the forecast for Cercedillas and that will give you a decent idea.

2. Johnnie Walker / CSJ is the only guidebook that I’m aware of. I had some issues with it but overall it was OK and did the job. I got the kindle version for my phone.

3. Manzanares el Real. The end of Day 2 if you follow standard stages.

4. Didn’t see any at all.

¡Buen Camino!

I have just returned to Madrid this morning after walking Madrid to Segovia. The first few days were brilliant weatherwise, with temperatures during the day of 20-21 degrees and sunshine. The last couple of days in the Segovia area were chilly with drizzle - maybe about 10-11 degrees or so. I was fine walking in a tee shirt each day, even up the mountain, but in the evenings I wore a combination of tee shirt, long sleeved shirt, vest and rain jacket. It looks like it is getting warmer again, but I would be prepared for cool nights. People are walking around in their winter jackets, and the cafes have the heaters going.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I also had the CSJ guide on my phone, but I did not refer to it very much. I had the GPS track laid down on MAPS.ME, so I used that as a guide to check if I was still on the right route.

If you want a rest day, Segovia is wonderful, but beware of crowds. It was crazy busy on Thursday and Friday. The crowds were a shock.

The weather is good now although it is raining in Manzanares el Real. Now it's 11 degrees so I think you will not find snow in the mountains anymore.
We recommend our guide with map and positioning in each stage:
Camino de Madrid
You can also download our tracks for any app that uses gpx files:
Tracks
We are in Manzanares el Real. At the end of the 2nd stage: Colmenar Viejo-Manzanares el Real. You can call us at +34 645 908 079 and we will pick you up at the beginning of the town
There are only bulls from Colmenar Viejo to Segovia, but they are on closed farms. No problem
Buen Camino.

Hello all

Feeling rather underprepared, but setting off from Madrid on Wednesday! It's been wonderful reading the threads and I've been poring over all the info on Gronze. I think I can complete it in 10/11 days before meeting friends on the CF before heading off again on the San Salvador & Primitivo. However, I've still got a load of questions and would love any advice you can give!
  1. It looks pretty warm in the general area from next week but how cold can it get up in the mountains and what clothes equipment might be needed?
  3. Where are Ray and Rosa? I keep seeing their names cropping up but seem to have missed where they are!
  4. I read something about bulls on the path that got me a little nervous but couldn't find any solutions! Any tips I might have missed?
It would be great to hear from anyone who's done the path and can answer the above or advise on unmissable stopping places or offer any other tips.
Hi. I walked in May June last year and it was great.
Just printed off the Gronze Maps and that was great. Accommodation was easy.
No bulls on the path.
Excellent sign posting.
Ray Rosa have a website. They are in Manzanares el Real. www.rayrosa.com
Lovely place and people.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just to confirm what has been written above, I have just completed the Madrid to Segovia sections and did not encounter any bulls on the trail.
We have had several informative threads about bulls, toros bravos, vacas bravas, and just plain cows and steers. As someone who always plasters myself against a tree or a fence when the herds saunter by, I have absolutely none of the nonchalance with which others just forge ahead. BUT... I do know for a fact that there will never be a toro bravo loose and walking around. For one thing, they are way too valuable to leave out wandering.

Just last year, on the new route into Galisteo on the Vdlp, hundreds of cows and steers started coming up towards me. I waited for at least a half hour over next to a fence, and true to form, as the guy in charge rode up at the end on a little scooter, he looked at me pitifully and said “no hacen nada.” (They won’t do anything). Well, that’s the same thing the dog owners tell me but I still just stand and wait till someone comes and takes the barking menace out of my way. :).

A few posts to set your mind to rest if you are anxious.

We have had several informative threads about bulls, toros bravos, vacas bravas, and just plain cows and steers. As someone who always plasters myself against a tree or a fence when the herds saunter by, I have absolutely none of the nonchalance with which others just forge ahead. BUT... I do know for a fact that there will never be a toro bravo loose and walking around. For one thing, they are way too valuable to leave out wandering.

Just last year, on the new route into Galisteo on the Vdlp, hundreds of cows and steers started coming up towards me. I waited for at least a half hour over next to a fence, and true to form, as the guy in charge rode up at the end on a little scooter, he looked at me pitifully and said “no hacen nada.” (They won’t do anything). Well, that’s the same thing the dog owners tell me but I still just stand and wait till someone comes and takes the barking menace out of my way. :).

This is my favourite thread about meeting a bull on the Madrid:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello all

I’ve just finished the Madrid route. I won’t snswer all your questions as others have answered.

I found the Buen Camino app to be very good.

All the animals I saw were in fenced off paddocks and just happily grazing.
Buen Camino, enjoy your walk. Judy.

I’m surprised at you Laurie.
Cows (I think )are in awe of us. Nothing to worry about any more than you would a sheep.
The dogs are all Pussy cats. They just want a hug.
Today on the Vdlp (Carcoboso to Hostal Asturias) so many animals / mostly behind fences but the huge dog in photo was bounding back and forth from me to the pilgrim in front.. was bounding happily.
Annie

Attachments

• EB5432A2-B958-49A6-BB52-80AADC943773.jpeg
    EB5432A2-B958-49A6-BB52-80AADC943773.jpeg
    299 KB · Views: 9
  • CAC76C3B-8A70-46FC-880D-6A02946185C4.jpeg
    CAC76C3B-8A70-46FC-880D-6A02946185C4.jpeg
    602.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 7AABBE2D-683B-4B74-BFD0-085EAAB3942D.jpeg
    7AABBE2D-683B-4B74-BFD0-085EAAB3942D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • C642F08E-81A4-4D60-979C-585613551902.jpeg
    C642F08E-81A4-4D60-979C-585613551902.jpeg
    433.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I'm not surprised at her answer!

We have cattle on our property, and every two years the herd changes. Let me just say that on occasion, our animals are gentle and docile. Then along comes a jerk.

We try to shuffle out the aggressive animals fairly quickly, but they do exist. I usually give cattle (including bulls, cows, steers, heifers, etc.) a fairly wide berth. Even when they do the summer frolic--jumping, bucking, and kicking out their back hooves--they can be dangerous, albeit inadvertently.

Recently, my husband had a bad accident and ended up in urgent care. The hallways were hung with photos of people who had survived serious injuries. In one, a woman was photographed looking out at the herd of cattle her family raised. She had been seriously gored and tossed by a bull. Her words, upon the helicopter arriving to life flight her to the trauma hospital were, "Make sure my husband puts that one down."

I'm not sharing any of this to scare you all, but we're farmers, and know better than to make the claim that cattle are just docile animals. It's not true. Give them a wide berth.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
There are fields full of bulls between Colmenar de Viejo and Manzanares de Real. Walked that one year ago today. But they are all behind fences and stone walls. And they are magnificent.

Attachments

• CAF76430-92EE-4CDD-836B-DDD63C4CEF21.jpeg
    CAF76430-92EE-4CDD-836B-DDD63C4CEF21.jpeg
    862.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 65BC1161-41A2-4645-B7CF-AF9EFC302AFC.jpeg
    65BC1161-41A2-4645-B7CF-AF9EFC302AFC.jpeg
    418 KB · Views: 6

Most read last week in this forum

Hello I am in the planning phase of the Camino de Madrid. Hoping to start walking in late May. The Confraternity of James' guidebook in out of print and no longer available, so I have been basing...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.