• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino de Madrid by bicycle

Aptrail

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Aug/Sept, 2016
Hospilatero May, 2018
Primativo May, 2018
Hospitalero, 2019
I am considering doing the Camino de Madrid by bicycle. I have walked and cycled the CF. I see through these threads and other webpages that people do cycle the CdeM in about 5 days. My specific question is about the type of bike that would be best. For the CF we rented mtn bikes that were equipped for touring. For CdeM would road bikes (with slightly wider tires) work or would mtn bikes be preferable? Also anyone who has done it by bike, I would love to read your comments and/or follow any links you suggest. Thanks.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
No advice here. Will be interested to see what you learn! Keep us posted about what you decide. My guess is that a mountain bike like the CF would help with the pass north of Madrid to Segovia, and also with the final westward push from wherever you decide to make your turn.

I met a few cyclists on the Madrid, and I don't think any of them were on road bikes. There is a lot of unpaved terrain, and I would stick with the mountain bikes. Forwalkers, that's one of the beauties of the Madrid. Very little asphalt! I believe that all, or nearly all, of the Madrid is "ciclable." (capable of being done on a bike). There may be one or two spots where the cyclists go off the camino and onto an untraveled road.

But I looked briefly at these cycle tracks, and the author says that he rode on the camino proper nearly all the time.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Like peregrina2000, I met a couple of cyclists - they were on regular bikes. The only place I recall you are on mildly rough trail is up over the hill before Valsain.

I met a few cyclists on the Madrid, and I don't think any of them were on road bikes. There is a lot of unpaved terrain, and I would stick with the mountain bikes. Forwalkers, that's one of the beauties of the Madrid. Very little asphalt! I believe that all, or nearly all, of the Madrid is "ciclable." (capable of being done on a bike). There may be one or two spots where the cyclists go off the camino and onto an untraveled road.

But I looked briefly at these cycle tracks, and the author says that he rode on the camino proper nearly all the time.
Thanks!

Like peregrina2000, I met a couple of cyclists - they were on regular bikes. The only place I recall you are on mildly rough trail is up over the hill before Valsain.
Thanks!
Thanks.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
they were on regular bikes
Just curious, Annie, what does that mean? I am not a cyclist, so I may have misused the terms. I think of “road bike” as being a bike with narrow tires and those curly handlebars. The Lance Armstrong bikes. The people I saw were on what I would call mountain bikes, but I don’t know if that’s the right term. I mean a bike with a less “hunched over” seating arrangement, and tires that are wider and have lots more tread.

Just curious, Annie, what does that mean? I am not a cyclist, so I may have misused the terms. I think of “road bike” as being a bike with narrow tires and those curly handlebars. The Lance Armstrong bikes. The people I saw were on what I would call mountain bikes, but I don’t know if that’s the right term. I mean a bike with a less “hunched over” seating arrangement, and tires that are wider and have lots more tread.
Just road bikes. I didn't see mountain bikes.

Another great thing about the Wikiloc app track that @peregrina2000 linked you to is that you can send a private message to the author of the track and ask him his opinion on what type of bike to use. Click on his name to go to his profile page and then click on the grey box (lower left) that says 'Send private message'.
Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 9.26.49 AM.png

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just road bikes. I didn't see mountain bikes.

Gravel bikes?

Gravel bikes?

Great idea. I currently have a Cannondale R2000 road bike (but I put slightly larger tires on it--700x28) and a Salsa El Mariachi mtn bike, which could be equipped for touring. A gravel bike is between them and would seem ideal. But, I am wondering which of my current bikes to use. Also my partner has a women's specific Trek road bike with slightly wider tires. We are wondering if we could ride our road bikes or if we will need to get her a mtn bike. (Of course we *could* just get two gravel bikes... :) )

Not aware of any rental company offering gravel bikes if you are planning to rent. So if you are bringing your own, you'll need to sort out the tires before you come. But before you do, have a word with BikeIberia in Lisbon to see what they can do. Have used them before and their service into/out of Spain is excellent.

They may also have an idea of the type of bike for the Camino de Madrid though they will usually say MTB.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked the Camino de Madrid. From Segovia all the way to Sahagun it is like the Plata, relatively flat and perfect I think for bikes (track bikes).

The only thing to look out for is the 3rd day, walking across the Sierra to Segovia. I believe there is an alternate path for cyclists. In any case after Segovia it is smooth sailing, so to speak.

A group of us cycled from Madrid to Santiago in September 2019. We cycled through Segovia, Valladolid, joining the CF in Sahagun. We cycled on public roads adjacent to the camino on lightweight road bikes.
We had a vehicle carrying our luggage. On the first day to Segovia we climbed to a height of 1800 metres, from memory with a cumulative climb of over 1700 metres. There were also the climbs up to Cruz de Ferro and O'Cebreiro which we had walked and cycled up many times. The total distance selecting the safest cycling routes was 725 kilometres which took us 8 days. We could have completed the route in 7 days with a push, but we do it as a leisure cycle. I am surprised to read that it could be completed in 5 days, cycling the camino trail. Our average per hour was 20/22 kph, whilst I believe the average per hour, cycling on the camino trail is 12/14 kph.
We are planning to cycle along the CF in September from Burgos to Santiago, which we did on our first camino trip, 20 years ago in 2002.
Buen camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.