A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino de Madrid Handbook

Old Kiwi

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2016
Camino Frances 2019
SdC to Muxia and Fisterra 2019
Camino Portuguese "2021"
I am looking for a copy of "The Camino de Madrid Handbook" by Jeffery Barrera.
I can buy it from Amazon for US$7.00 but it costs US$31 to get it to New Zealand. That is nearly NZ$60. I can not afford that.
Is there anyone in New Zealand or Australia who has a copy that they would like to sell, that would be somewhat cheaper?

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
'CP, Frances,Norte,Salv/prim;Le puy, Inglés, CDM, Invierno, Fin/Mux, Vdlp 2019>Táb/ Prt Levante 2020
Hi Old Kiwi
You can get it from Book Depository.com
I just checked. Something like Aud$18.67
Free delivery worldwide. Probably a delay in shipping at the moment to countries like Oz and Nz but are you in a big rush.

Apart from that. Lots of other info available for this route ( like on gronze., also the resources section of this forum .. you can download Johnnie walkers guide to your phone too .

It’s an easy route to navigate however; without a guide / good signage / but you might like to have a handbook for information. Btw Johnnie walkers guide has lots of info .

Copy/pasting a screen shot from ‘book depository’ below. I’ve used them many times. Often when I want to send books to family in USA. No delivery fee worldwide ends up a lot cheaper than me buying and sending from here.

Good luck
And buen camino.

Attachments

Last edited:

timr

Camino(s) past & future
Several and counting...
@GraemeHall @OzAnnie I still quite often use BookDepository if I am not in a hurry. I used them from when they began.
But it is rather ironic that they actually belong to Amazon now! ;)

@Old Kiwi I agree with the above. Madrid route (which I loved) is very well signposted - but I DO like a book and so I sympathise!
I used Johnnie Walker CSJ book. It seems the new edition is not available for Kindle, only for paper. That's a pity.
The Barrera book which I haven't read (but he looks an interesting man(!)) is available on Kindle. I still find I prefer a book made of paper, but in fact used the CSJ guide on Kindle (just on my phone) and it was fine.
Good luck in getting it.

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
You can get the same info from Gronze or from people here who have walked the route. I am happy to send you my notes if you PM me. It's an easy route, though I'm not sure which albergues will be open this close to COVID.

ELHS220

Camino(s) past & future
Francés - 2015, 2017
Norte (Oviedo Costa) - 2018
Finisterre/Muxía - 2018
Norte - (2019)
I can buy it from Amazon for US$7.00 but it costs US$31 to get it to New Zealand. That is nearly NZ$60. I can not afford that.
Is there anyone in New Zealand or Australia who has a copy that they would like to sell, that would be somewhat cheaper?
It is available on Kindle, but maybe that is just in the US?
It’s available in Kindle, but maybe that is just in the US??

Attachments

Old Kiwi

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2016
Camino Frances 2019
Camino Portuguese "2021"
Thanks for all of the info folks. As I walk without a phone or any electronic device, a Kindle version is of no use to me. I have found a site which has a guide written by someone who had walked the CM. It is 38 pages long but has lots of historical notes and photos. I have managed to copy the route instructions onto both sides of three pages which I will use if I don't get anything better. I will try Gronze and Book Depository. I am hoping that I can start the CM on the 1st of September so I still have a bit of time.

jsalt

Jill
Camino(s) past & future
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
Hi, I'll attach the maps I printed out and used each day. I wrote notes on them before I left of anything of interest to look out for, which I gleaned from other threads in this forum.

02Mad-Colmenar.jpg

03Colmenar-Manzanares.jpg

04Manzanares-Cercedilla.jpg

05Cercedilla-Segovia.jpg

More to follow.

jsalt

Jill
Camino(s) past & future
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
Next 4 maps.

06Segovia-Añe.jpg

07Añe-Sta.M.%20Nieva.jpg

08Sta.M.Nieva-Coca.jpg

09Coca-Alcazarén.jpg

jsalt

Jill
Camino(s) past & future
Some more:

10Alcazarén-Simancas.jpg

11Simancas-Peñaflor.jpg

12Peñaflor-Rioseco.jpg

13Rioseco-Villalón.jpg

jsalt

Jill
Camino(s) past & future
The last few.

14Villalón-Sahagún.jpg

CercedillaToFuenfriaPass.jpg

FuenfriaPass1.png

Hope they are useful.
Jill

Old Kiwi

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2016
Camino Frances 2019
Camino Portuguese "2021"
Hi jsalt, Thanks for the maps. I have printed them off.

omar504

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016,2017,2018
As a fellow antipodean i too use book depository and wordery...if you use both to compare you will get the best price

jsalt

Jill
Camino(s) past & future
They served a dual purpose. Every evening I would write my journal on the back of that day's printed map - while sipping a glass of vino tinto 😊.

Eamonrodden

Camino(s) past & future
French, Norte, Primitivo, portuguese, via del plata, madrid
I used the book by the ci-fraternity of st James in London. Cheap and cheap to send and worked very well for me. The Camino is well marked, even diversions to towns were way marked on and off. The Madrid orgSnisation in Madrid has an office, check opening times. They have sheets that have latest accommodation options. Enjoy it is quiet and enjoyable Camino

Alvin T

Camino(s) past & future
I hope you get the chance to walk this route. I walked it in May 2019 and really enjoyed it. I met very few fellow pilgrims along the way so it can be a bit lonely at times, but I enjoyed the peaceful walks each day. One thing you may consider is to walk to the edge of Madrid and take the subway back downtown. Then the next morning, you take the subway back to that same station and head out. That’s what I did and it worked out very well. If you want to know more about the walk, I posted a YouTube video (sorry - it’s 26 minutes long) of my walk. Just search YouTube under Camino Madrid May 2019 and you will find it. Hope you like it and I hope you enjoy your walk.

Old Kiwi

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2016
Camino Frances 2019
Camino Portuguese "2021"
Hi Alvin, Thanks for that. I had already decided to do the subway thing. YouTube video was good.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock