• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino de Madrid Handbook

Old Kiwi

Time of past OR future Camino
I am looking for a copy of "The Camino de Madrid Handbook" by Jeffery Barrera.
I can buy it from Amazon for US$7.00 but it costs US$31 to get it to New Zealand. That is nearly NZ$60. I can not afford that.
Is there anyone in New Zealand or Australia who has a copy that they would like to sell, that would be somewhat cheaper?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Old Kiwi
You can get it from Book Depository.com
I just checked. Something like Aud$18.67
Free delivery worldwide. Probably a delay in shipping at the moment to countries like Oz and Nz but are you in a big rush.

Apart from that. Lots of other info available for this route ( like on gronze., also the resources section of this forum .. you can download Johnnie walkers guide to your phone too .

It’s an easy route to navigate however; without a guide / good signage / but you might like to have a handbook for information. Btw Johnnie walkers guide has lots of info .

Copy/pasting a screen shot from ‘book depository’ below. I’ve used them many times. Often when I want to send books to family in USA. No delivery fee worldwide ends up a lot cheaper than me buying and sending from here.

Good luck
And buen camino.

Attachments

• 0C70D5EF-E458-4CBD-B3FA-57EB08719DAE.png
    0C70D5EF-E458-4CBD-B3FA-57EB08719DAE.png
    1 MB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@GraemeHall @OzAnnie I still quite often use BookDepository if I am not in a hurry. I used them from when they began.
But it is rather ironic that they actually belong to Amazon now! ;)

@Old Kiwi I agree with the above. Madrid route (which I loved) is very well signposted - but I DO like a book and so I sympathise!
I used Johnnie Walker CSJ book. It seems the new edition is not available for Kindle, only for paper. That's a pity.
The Barrera book which I haven't read (but he looks an interesting man(!)) is available on Kindle. I still find I prefer a book made of paper, but in fact used the CSJ guide on Kindle (just on my phone) and it was fine.
Good luck in getting it.

You can get the same info from Gronze or from people here who have walked the route. I am happy to send you my notes if you PM me. It's an easy route, though I'm not sure which albergues will be open this close to COVID.

I can buy it from Amazon for US$7.00 but it costs US$31 to get it to New Zealand. That is nearly NZ$60. I can not afford that.
Is there anyone in New Zealand or Australia who has a copy that they would like to sell, that would be somewhat cheaper?
It is available on Kindle, but maybe that is just in the US?
It’s available in Kindle, but maybe that is just in the US??

Attachments

• 5BBC10B9-596E-43DF-B309-C9572F2DAECA.png
    5BBC10B9-596E-43DF-B309-C9572F2DAECA.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Thanks for all of the info folks. As I walk without a phone or any electronic device, a Kindle version is of no use to me. I have found a site which has a guide written by someone who had walked the CM. It is 38 pages long but has lots of historical notes and photos. I have managed to copy the route instructions onto both sides of three pages which I will use if I don't get anything better. I will try Gronze and Book Depository. I am hoping that I can start the CM on the 1st of September so I still have a bit of time.

Hi, I'll attach the maps I printed out and used each day. I wrote notes on them before I left of anything of interest to look out for, which I gleaned from other threads in this forum.

02Mad-Colmenar.jpg

03Colmenar-Manzanares.jpg

04Manzanares-Cercedilla.jpg

05Cercedilla-Segovia.jpg

More to follow.

Next 4 maps.

06Segovia-Añe.jpg

07Añe-Sta.M.%20Nieva.jpg

08Sta.M.Nieva-Coca.jpg

09Coca-Alcazarén.jpg

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Some more:

10Alcazarén-Simancas.jpg

11Simancas-Peñaflor.jpg

12Peñaflor-Rioseco.jpg

13Rioseco-Villalón.jpg

The last few.

14Villalón-Sahagún.jpg

CercedillaToFuenfriaPass.jpg

FuenfriaPass1.png

Hope they are useful.
Jill

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I used the book by the ci-fraternity of st James in London. Cheap and cheap to send and worked very well for me. The Camino is well marked, even diversions to towns were way marked on and off. The Madrid orgSnisation in Madrid has an office, check opening times. They have sheets that have latest accommodation options. Enjoy it is quiet and enjoyable Camino

I hope you get the chance to walk this route. I walked it in May 2019 and really enjoyed it. I met very few fellow pilgrims along the way so it can be a bit lonely at times, but I enjoyed the peaceful walks each day. One thing you may consider is to walk to the edge of Madrid and take the subway back downtown. Then the next morning, you take the subway back to that same station and head out. That’s what I did and it worked out very well. If you want to know more about the walk, I posted a YouTube video (sorry - it’s 26 minutes long) of my walk. Just search YouTube under Camino Madrid May 2019 and you will find it. Hope you like it and I hope you enjoy your walk.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Alvin, Thanks for that. I had already decided to do the subway thing. YouTube video was good.

Hi there, it looks like you are sorted out. You'll love the Camino. If you have any questions, let me know, i might be able to help out.

Jeffery Barrera

Buen Camino from Madrid

Hi Jeffery, Thank you for your offer of help. After a lot of investigation, I have completed my plans for the Camino Madrid. I have maps, timetables and lists of albergues, so I am all ready to go. The only problem is that I will not be able to go for quite some time. I had planed to do the Camino Portuguese with my daughter last June and July, but of course Covid put a stop to that. I was going to do the Camino Madrid this June. Whether we get to the Portuguese this year is not guaranteed and it looks more likely to be June 2022. That means that the Camino Madrid will be in 2023 but I am still looking forward to it with great enthusiasm.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Jeffery, Thank you for your offer of help. After a lot of investigation, I have completed my plans for the Camino Madrid. I have maps, timetables and lists of albergues, so I am all ready to go. The only problem is that I will not be able to go for quite some time. I had planed to do the Camino Portuguese with my daughter last June and July, but of course Covid put a stop to that. I was going to do the Camino Madrid this June. Whether we get to the Portuguese this year is not guaranteed and it looks more likely to be June 2022. That means that the Camino Madrid will be in 2023 but I am still looking forward to it with great enthusiasm.
it's been a hard 12 months and although i am confident things will return to some kind of normal on teh Camino by late summer, it's hard, anyway, best of luck and Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everybody, Which is the best way by foot : Uclès to Madrid or Madrid to Uclès (in july !)? And where find informations about accomodation ? Thank you

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back