• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino de Madrid in September

camino07

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances x5, Portuguese VdlP12, Sanabres, Aragones, Norte,Salvador,Primitivo, VdlP 17,Madrid18Norte
Hoping to recommence my Camino Madrid around the 19th September, any chance that there are others starting then ?
Would I be best to start at a weekend in the hope that there may be more pilgrims? I do enjoy walking solo but prefer some company in the evenings or for dinner. Also might be still too hot then. Would love some advice, por favor

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A lot of Spaniards who walk the Madrid route walk ONLY on weekends, so the chance of meeting others is higher then. But your new friends will leave you on Sunday evening...

Hoping to recommence my Camino Madrid around the 19th September, any chance that there are others starting then ?
Would I be best to start at a weekend in the hope that there may be more pilgrims? I do enjoy walking solo but prefer some company in the evenings or for dinner. Also might be still too hot then. Would love some advice, por favor
Hi. I walked solo from Madrid about four summers ago - late August and early September. I only met one other Pilgrim - who was walking in the opposite direction and therefore walked and stayed almost every night, entirely alone. It was extremely hot, and as is common in rural Spain, expected facilities simply had vanished.
If you’re happy for such solitude, it’s beautiful- but I, back then for all sorts of reasons found it very lonely and was out of my comfort zone much of the time. I wish you Buen Camino for your walk - I just wanted to share my experience.
If you have any questions feel free to ask. X

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, I remember you started out a couple of weeks behind the three of us in March last year. It IS a lonely route, and I was so glad I posted on this forum for some companions, as we had some lovely times. Hopefully others will respond and you can work out a start date together.

Sometimes we walked together and other days we walked alone, giving each other space, which is very important.

Staying in the albergues was great as occasionally there were just the three of us and we’d have the whole place to ourselves, so we could either spread out or stay together in one room if we weren’t too sure about security.

I could do it alone (and feel quite safe), but I was certainly very glad of the company as there were some long stretches with few facilities and it was nice to know I wasn’t entirely on my ownsome.

We did meet others occasionally, but they were few and far between.
Jill

You will likely be ahead of us: we plan to arrive in Madrid on 25 September and begin walking on 26 September. If your time frame changes, feel free to send me a PM. Happy trails!

Thank you all for your input. I guess I could walk a different way in September and start the Madrid after Easter next year instead. Thought there may be less river crossings in Autumn but couldn't walk in very hot weather. You were lucky having three to start with Jill.
Thanks,Lindam, how many of you are walking?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It is our plan to walk the Madrid Camino in 13 days. This will be followed by the Invierno for 10 days and the Ingles from A Coruna for the final 4 days. My husband and I will be walking. Do keep us posted with your plans.

It is our plan to walk the Madrid Camino in 13 days. This will be followed by the Invierno for 10 days and the Ingles from A Coruna for the final 4 days. Do keep us posted with your plans.
I have the Invierno guidebook and have been researching but thought that two very quiet Caminos one after the other might be too much for me. I'm turning into a whimp I think :0

We enjoy the solitude but being alone might be a different matter.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have the Invierno guidebook and have been researching but thought that two very quiet Caminos one after the other might be too much for me. I'm turning into a whimp I think :0
Hi heather
I’m so glad to see you’re going to give it another go. I think I read that you’ve been walking already this year so you’re probably more trail fit than last year.
If I wasn’t heading to USA in October I’d give serious thought to joining you.
The good thing about doing it later in September is you won’t be worrying about super cold conditions and melting snow making for those brrrrr stream crossings. You should also have the crossing to Segovia open .. that would be a bonus. We had to ‘train it ‘ over that stretch.
If I were you I’d give thought to setting out with Lindam ... I was one of the band of 3 last year with Jill. We had set no expectations of ‘sticking together ‘ after a few days ... but we were all fairly similar in walking style and temperament. We got on really well. Great memories. I’d walk with them any day.
We each had different plans for after the Madrid.
They were heading off on Salvador/primitivo. I was catching train from sahagun to Ponferrada..
I had time to really look around Ponferrada, which I hadn’t done when on Cf years before.
Then I set off alone on the Invierno.. I walked alone and saw no-one but I must have been ready for that by then. Sometimes we surprise ourselves. I loved the solitude. Just great.
Early this year I walked a large portion of Vdlp (have to return to finish it ).. I walked my speed on that and because of that I met up with about 3 separate singles or groups that were also special. So I can’t say I am always going to prefer to walk alone but it was not a ‘downer’ in any way. An opportunity to grow a little more I think.
Anyway .. good luck whatever you decide ...but don’t write off your September Madrid too quickly. And maybe the Invierno ?
Buen camino
Annie

Everyone seems to agree it is a quiet route!
I walked Madrid to Valladolid in May 2017 and Valladolid to Sahagun in November. I met 6 pilgrims on the first stage (5 of whom were a group) and none on the second stage. But as always I met lots of interesting local people. It certainly helped that I had spent a few months earlier that year learning enough Spanish to hold a reasonable conversation. I like walking alone - for someone who doesn't it may be less attractive. I kept notes in this subforum under Live on the Camino a short walk from Madrid.

I walked at that time last year and had at least one companion every night except one. Some nights (ok 2) there were more than half a dozen. It was less solo than I was hoping for;-)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi @camino07 - I’ll be a couple of weeks ahead of you on the Madrid. Departing Madrid on 7th or 8th September (depends on how I feel after flying from NZ)
I’ll try to post some basic info as I go - via a new thread.
It’s been great to read all the recent posts on the Madrid this year - great info from all those posting.
Thanks all. Buen Camino

Hi Grace, Too hot for me early in September,I'm thinking of starting 26th after 2 nights in Madrid to get over jetlag. Will book soon,my cat is now sick 😼 but should recover well.
I sent for the new CSJ guidebook and its tiny, so transferring all my notes from the previous one. I agree ,so much good info here on the forum. look forward to hearing how you go.

It is our plan to walk the Madrid Camino in 13 days. This will be followed by the Invierno for 10 days and the Ingles from A Coruna for the final 4 days. My husband and I will be walking. Do keep us posted with your plans.
Hi Lindam, my plans have been held up due to my cat being not well. I should be booking my flight within the next week. I will arrive in Madrid 24th Sept. Have you planned your stages yet? Maybe we can bump into each other although I'll probably take a few days longer than you two. I may start from Tres Cantos since I walked to there last time and stay first night in Colmenor to catch up with the lovely folk who helped me..

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Camino07, pleased to hear that you are aiming to start out again and I wish you well. I and another Canadian peregrina walked from Madrid to Valdestillas in the spring of 2018 after you and @jsalt did your walks. It is a lonely track, , although we walked in May and encountered one or two pilgrims in the albergues most nights. But during the day we rarely saw any other pilgrims. We did however find the local people very welcoming as others have indicated on posts on this section of the forum.

We got a bit bored and ended up cutting short the Madrid so we could spend more time on the Salvador, but I still wonder if perhaps I may go back and finish at some point -- it feels incomplete.

I wish you well in your planning and decision making, and a Buen Camino.

Hi Grace, Too hot for me early in September,I'm thinking of starting 26th after 2 nights in Madrid to get over jetlag. Will book soon,my cat is now sick 😼 but should recover well.
I sent for the new CSJ guidebook and its tiny, so transferring all my notes from the previous one. I agree ,so much good info here on the forum. look forward to hearing how you go.
Hi @camino07, I hope your cat is on the mend. I had the same issue but mine is bouncing back. It’s countdown time again (5 days) and after 2 years without a camino I am so keen to get on the plane.
I’ve made contact with OP (Terry) and hope to meet up in Madrid. I’ll try to post some news ad hoc (I’ll create a new thread). All depends on whether me and my osteo have been successful with leg/hip/back prep ;). Best of luck with your planning. Cheers, Grace

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello to the others about to walk the Madrid. I shall be heading to Spain on September 11, volunteering as a hospitalera for the rest of the month, then going to Madrid on October 1, to start my walk on the Madrid on October 3rd. Afterwards I shall walk the Francés to Ponferrada then the Invierno to Santiago. I expect to meet a few pilgrims along the way but look forward to my solitude. Buen Camino to all.

Hi @camino07, I hope your cat is on the mend. I had the same issue but mine is bouncing back. It’s countdown time again (5 days) and after 2 years without a camino I am so keen to get on the plane.
I’ve made contact with OP (Terry) and hope to meet up in Madrid. I’ll try to post some news ad hoc (I’ll create a new thread). All depends on whether me and my osteo have been successful with leg/hip/back prep ;). Best of luck with your planning. Cheers, Grace
Yes thanks Grace, Spike is doing well and I have found a lovely house sitter who is a nurse. Tickets booked and arrive in Madrid on the 24th Sept,start walking on 26th. Not sure where next after Sahagun as i will still have two more weeks. Looking forward to hearing your news. Buen Camino .

As there is a bit of a cat theme going on in this thread - I walked the Camino de Madrid in September last year and in a tiny village just before Santa Maria la Real de Nieva saw a gentleman in a wheelchair surrounded by a multitude of cats that he was feeding. 'How many?' I asked, but he laughed and said he didn't know.
Buen Camino to all those walking this gorgeous Camino this autumn. I'm headed for the Primitivo in a few days time.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You will likely be ahead of us: we plan to arrive in Madrid on 25 September and begin walking on 26 September. If your time frame changes, feel free to send me a PM. Happy trails!
Good morning,
My plans have changed. I am eating my breakfast at the Hat in Madrid and shall be starting my walk after breakfast here tomorrow, so I expect that we shall meet along the way. Buen Camino.

Good morning,
My plans have changed. I am eating my breakfast at the Hat in Madrid and shall be starting my walk after breakfast here tomorrow, so I expect that we shall meet along the way. Buen Camino.
Great news! I was planning on going out for a drink and something to eat at about 7 my number is+34635145992 if you are interested. If not I plan to leave from Plaza Castilla around 8 as I have already walked to there. I’m at VP Jardin in Tres Cantos tomorrow.

WOW

Good morning,

Hope you have a wonderful camino, @Albertagirl. Are you still planning to head to the Invierno? Maybe the albergue in As Médulas will be open by then. Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thought there may be less river crossings in Autumn but couldn't walk in very hot weather. You were lucky having three to start with Jill.

Buen camino!

Hope you don’t have to swim across the river like I did:

179FloodedRiver.jpg

No, No! Just kidding!

The others had got a lift around the river, so that when I arrived they were all on the other side.

I decided to stop and think a bit about what Plan B was . . .

. . . and after a while an elderly man with a dog walked up to me and told me not to try and swim across (very strong current), but to walk around, which was about 6 or 7 kms if I remember correctly, and he gave me directions. (We managed to do this with me speaking no Spanish and he speaking no English, and drawing signs in the sand with a stick.)

I thanked him profusely and started walking back the way I’d come to find the path that would take me out onto the main road and across the river.

However, he beckoned me to his car and told me to get in. It was the scariest ride ever, as at one point we were nearly taken out by a drunk coming the other way, and I was beginning to wish that I’d tried swimming across the river instead, but he safely delivered me to the other side of the river.

My camino angel!
Jill

Buen camino!

Hope you don’t have to swim across the river like I did:

View attachment 65133

No, No! Just kidding!

The others had got a lift around the river, so that when I arrived they were all on the other side.

I decided to stop and think a bit about what Plan B was . . .

. . . and after a while an elderly man with a dog walked up to me and told me not to try and swim across (very strong current), but to walk around, which was about 6 or 7 kms if I remember correctly, and he gave me directions. (We managed to do this with me speaking no Spanish and he speaking no English, and drawing signs in the sand with a stick.)

I thanked him profusely and started walking back the way I’d come to find the path that would take me out onto the main road and across the river.

However, he beckoned me to his car and told me to get in. It was the scariest ride ever, as at one point we were nearly taken out by a drunk coming the other way, and I was beginning to wish that I’d tried swimming across the river instead, but he safely delivered me to the other side of the river.

My camino angel!
Jill
Was that between Los Huertos and Ane?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hope you have a wonderful camino, @Albertagirl. Are you still planning to head to the Invierno? Maybe the albergue in As Médulas will be open by then. Buen camino, Laurie
Yes, I shall be following the same route, but with a little more time to complete it. I shall be sure to keep to my previous schedule for the dates which you helped me to book.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am not sure who replied to my last post, but whoever it was, I shall also be staying in VP Jardín in Tres Cantos tonight, September 26. I should be pretty obvious in my camino gear, say "hello."
I’m staying in the same place but in five weeks’ time. Do please share any helpful info as you progress.

I am not sure who replied to my last post, but whoever it was, I shall also be staying in VP Jardín in Tres Cantos tonight, September 26. I should be pretty obvious in my camino gear, say "hello."
Hi, Im in Room 104 if you want to say hello. You are probably exhausted as I am . I can understand if you want to have a question night. The Panaderia on the street with traffic lights is open from 7 in am but I won't leave until daybreak. By the way do you mind telling me your name😊. I'm Heather

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

A couple days ago I started the Camino Madrid from Segovia. Some of you may recall that I posted a few months ago looking for a relatively flat Camino to test out my body to find out if I could...
We planning a Camino Mixto of Camino Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo starting in early April next year. April 13-20 is Semana Santa next year We will probably fly in to Barcelona on 4th April and play...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back