• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino de Madrid March 2018

jsalt

Jill
Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
Hi, I’m planning on starting from the Plaza de Santiago in Madrid, from the Church of Santiago & St John the Baptist, on Friday 23 March 2018. Hoping there might be a few other forum members out there to share some Menus del Dia and Tapas Evenings along the way :).
Jill

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, I’m planning on starting from the Plaza de Santiago in Madrid, from the Church of Santiago & St John the Baptist, on Friday 23 March 2018. Hoping there might be a few other forum members out there to share some Menus del Dia and Tapas Evenings along the way :).
Jill
Im leaving on the 2oth of March, I could hold off or a couple days, say 22,. Would you be able to leave on the 22 ?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Jill, great to see you’re off again.
I would love to join you but family keeping me grounded at this stage.
I’ve also got the remainder of the Levante from Toledo to get through too ! So many caminos . . . .

I have arrived in Bercianos de Real Camino today after completing the CdM. I took Ray y Rosa’s option B.

I have just missed the rain as it is pouring now. It rained last night and the mud reminded me of the VdLP where it adds centimetres to your shoes. Apart from 2 days I was on my own. The bars I came across were lots of fun.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Im leaving on the 2oth of March, I could hold off or a couple days, say 22,. Would you be able to leave on the 22 ?

Hi Cliff, unfortunately my flight only arrives on the 22nd. I have booked a bed at The Hat for that night. Then at VP Jardin in Tres Cantos for the 23rd. I’m flexible from there on.
Jill

The bars I came across were lots of fun.

Hi, question to anyone, any particular bars along the way that jump to mind, and which I shouldn’t miss? I do prefer sitting in a bar with a vino tinto writing up my notes for the day, rather than being all alone in the albergue :D.
Jill

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, question to anyone, any particular bars along the way that jump to mind, and which I shouldn’t miss? I do prefer sitting in a bar with a vino tinto writing up my notes for the day, rather than being all alone in the albergue :D.
Jill
Hi, Jill,
If the Bar Caribe in Castromonte is open, do not miss it. I believe one forum member passed earlier this year and found it closed. Any updates on Sr. Braulio Martín would be welcome. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...e-castromonte-bar-owner-now-almost-100.42686/

Jill

Jill, when I walked the CdM in May 2015 I met no other peregrinos. I called in solo at many bars and restaurants, and an abiding memory is how well I was received all along the way. I didn’t keep notes on the places visited, but from the memory bank some standout places were: Casa Antigua de Vizcayana in Segovia, a busy place that served good tapas and vino blanco; Villaguillo – there is only one bar in this town and I had an entertaining evening there, as did Kinky1 the year before; La Mielga in Ciguenela – very good people, and a great dinner; Santervas – the couple who run the shop/bar adjacent to the albergue were delightful, and they prepared me a lovely dinner.

Some other places I remember were:
Nava de Asuncion – good lunch at a restaurant behind the Pastellaria Rosana, and a friendly reception and vino tinto at the Bar Bulevar near the albergue
Alcazaren – Bar Real gave a friendly welcome and good food, coffee and wine
Simancas – nice lunch stop at El Buen Sabor on the way through the town
Cuenca de Campos – Meson Cañada. At first sight looked a bit basic, but the lunch was very good

Off topic, I thought the Santuario de la Peregrina on the LHS just as you enter Sahagun well worth a visit. Last few moments of solitude before hitting the CF.

Thank you so much Laurie and Donovan for the recommendations. I have made handwritten notes on my printed-out maps, which I make use of again at the end of each day, by writing my journal on the back. I have made a note to especially check out Bar Caribe in Castromonte. Thank you for the link, Laurie, very interesting.
Jill

Thank you so much Laurie and Donovan for the recommendations. I have made handwritten notes on my printed-out maps, which I make use of again at the end of each day, by writing my journal on the back. I have made a note to especially check out Bar Caribe in Castromonte. Thank you for the link, Laurie, very interesting.
Jill

Jill, I'm looking forward to reading your posts and getting some hints before I start.

Jill, I'm looking forward to reading your posts and getting some hints before I start.

I’m one of those people who goes offline on camino ;).
So sadly, will not be posting anything here once I leave home :(.
I take a smartphone for:
... emergency calls
... phoning the number on the closed albergue door
... MapsMe if I get lost
... WhatsAp (or text, if no free wifi) with husband, and “camino family”
... taking photos
... and reading books on my Kindle Ap while tucked up in my sleeping bag and everyone else is fast asleep :D.
Jill

I’m one of those people who goes offline on camino ;).
So sadly, will not be posting anything here once I leave home :(.
I take a smartphone for:
... emergency calls
... phoning the number on the closed albergue door
... MapsMe if I get lost
... WhatsAp (or text, if no free wifi) with husband, and “camino family”
... taking photos
... and reading books on my Kindle Ap while tucked up in my sleeping bag and everyone else is fast asleep :D.
Jill

That's a pity for me. Never mind, Buen Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, I have seen lots of posts about Easter being very busy with Spanish walkers on the camino routes. I will likely be somewhere around Coca or Alcazarén on Easter weekend. Any thoughts from those who have walked this route about how busy this particular stretch might be? Thanks!
Jill

Jill
The bar next to the albergue in Santervás de Campos may be new from what @Donovan mentions - I am not sure. It is physically attached to the albergue but I didn't see any shop. And they look after the albergue - which is surprisingly big, considering how few people do the camino. The bar is called Ñam Ñam (which means yum yum!) and was a very friendly place with a great solid fuel stove. I sat and used the wifi for several hours on a (literally) freezing day. Truly excellent food available in the comedor. And throughout the day the owner brought out tempting delicacies - tiny portions of garlic soup, torreznos etc.
Having said all that, somebody told me it is not always open. But it seemed very popular with locals. There is a social club in the town too. I went to look for at it later in the day (Sunday afternoon) and it had closed though it was open earlier in the day as I came in.

Jill
Oh and in Nava de la Asunción the albergue again may be new I think. It is in the polideportivo (and I have supplied a description of how to find it, which is not difficult, in the new edition of CSJ guide by Johnnie Walker). The Hotel Fray Sebastian is directly opposite on the main road and looks rather imposing, and very modern. But in fact, it was full of locals in the afternoon playing cards and shouting cheerily and has a great terrace on to the road. I had snack in the afternoon and a very good value menu del dia in the evening in the bar.Very friendly.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you so much, all added to my notes!
Jill

Excited! I have booked my flight to Madrid on 4th April. Spend two nights in Hostal Alfonso and then start 7th to Tres Cantos VP Jardin. Hope I meet a few pilgrims along the way.

That's a pity for me. Never mind, Buen Camino.

Are you on WhatsAp? If so, you could PM me your cellphone number.
Then, if there’s anything I think you should really know about, I can send you a message. :cool:
Jill

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Jill

Happy New Year ... jz logged on after been off site for a few weeks! Are we still on with walking and sharing rooms? I think I did mention in the other post that I get into Madrid on 22 March too and am also booked at the Hat..

Am gonna pm you my number so we can whatsapp...

Cheers G x

Hi Ginette, see you at The Hat!
Any other forum members want to tackle the Camino de Madrid starting 23 March? :cool::):D
Jill
Good luck with getting a bigger gaggle, Jill. We have anywhere between 6 and 9 people starting from Almería on April 14. The great thing about having such a "big" number starting on a very solitary camino is that there can be the natural, normal ebb and flow among and between us. Maybe that's selfish of me, but I like the fact that we will all be able to go at our own speed, our own pace, with our own camino idiosyncracies but still know that there are others out there. I have to admit that though I very much like walking alone, I had a couple of pretty lonely days on some recent solitary caminos, so this seems like about the best possible way to walk an untravelled camino but not be totally alone. Surely there are others who will be enticed into walking the lovely Camino de Madrid in late March?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
ME! I wish I was going with you! o_O

@jsalt ... and others... It's really looking hopeful that I will be able to follow in your footsteps on the 25th April and it looks like my walking buddy might be able to join me too. I am so gutted that I wont be joining you but I will be grateful for any feedback from all you folks that go before :)

I have to admit that though I very much like walking alone, I had a couple of pretty lonely days on some recent solitary caminos

Yes, it is good to walk alone, and often do because I prefer it, but I love approaching a café / bar / restaurant and seeing a camino buddy sat there.

The best times are sharing a coffee / beer / meal with another peregrina/o.

Jill

Hi @jsalt and @AcrossTheWater3008
Very tempting to join your small crew leaving Madrid March 23 ?
I have wanted to walk the Madrid, but admit that it’s nice to know there are others ‘about’ that you can meet up with at some part of, or end of stage and not alone in an albergue.

I haven’t booked any flights yet but am investigating possibilities and costs. Taking 23rd as being day 1 from Madrid.
There, I think I have dipped my toe in the water !
I may also pm you for a few details ‘if/when’ I get flights.
Buen Camino
Annie

Last edited:
Jill and Ginette
.....And now there are 3 ... starting C. Madrid on Friday 23 march.

Flights booked to Madrid from Oz. Done .
Accommodation partially sorted .. that is arrival accommodation is work in progress and confirmed booking for vpjardine de trés cantos on mar23.

Decision feels good
Annie

Jill and Ginette
.....And now there are 3 ... starting C. Madrid on Friday 23 march.

Flights booked to Madrid from Oz. Done .
Accommodation partially sorted .. that is arrival accommodation is work in progress and confirmed booking for vpjardine de trés cantos on mar23.

Decision feels good
Annie
Hi, Annie!

Don't forget the Korean albergue in Madrid. It is actually relatively close to the start of the camino, at least if you are starting in Plaza Castilla. If you plan to start at the church, you probably want to stay somewhere close to Puerta del Sol. So glad the Madrid forum group is growing! I guess there is no chance we will coincide this year, since I'm not starting till mid April and won't even make it to Santiago.

What are your plans once you hit Sahagún? Buen camino, Laurie

Jill

Hi, Annie!

Don't forget the Korean albergue in Madrid. It is actually relatively close to the start of the camino, at least if you are starting in Plaza Castilla. If you plan to start at the church, you probably want to stay somewhere close to Puerta del Sol. So glad the Madrid forum group is growing! I guess there is no chance we will coincide this year, since I'm not starting till mid April and won't even make it to Santiago.

What are your plans once you hit Sahagún? Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Laurie
Intention is to start together at least. So I’m settled with starting point as in Jill’s message quoted. The church of Santiago and St John the Baptist.

Thanks for reminder about the Korean albergue tho.
I still have to book 2 nights prior to walk. Could end up at ‘The Hat’ but not decided yet.
I found when staying in Madrid for several days in 2016 that I tended to walk everywhere rather than metro. I guess it’s really more sensible on starting day though to be close to starting point, lol.

After that tho ., we wont need to book ahead at that time of year.

Yes ., guess I won’t fluke seeing you again this year. the April walk on Mozarabe looks awesome. It too, piqued my interest. A bit long though.

After Sahagún., (all depends on feet !! And old bones ).. if I’m finding it ok., then I’ll (bus?) to Ponferrada, and walk the Invierno. I have time available but haven’t set my expectations too high.

Only need to get to Budapest by April 20 ( for a non camino tour). I have to balance out the addiction to Spain and wanting to visit USA (family) with seeing other parts.

So guessing if approx days to do both Cam Madrid to Sahagún and hop to start point Invierno > Sdc may be 25??
I haven’t really got a clue how slowly I’ll take it. But if it’s in that neighbourhood; I’m ok with possibly extra time built in. If my feet aren’t happy., lots of other choices after ending camino Madrid.

Only problem that’s on my mind is : I would usually like to post on a parcel of extra travel things to add to pack in Santiago (for later Europe travel ); but not being clear on finish point in Spain, makes it difficult. I won’t be walking with the extra parcel. Have previously sent to booked accommodation in Santiago for collection on arrival and also had small item sent to Ivar for storage before.
Any ideas with that dilemma ?

Thanks for your input Laurie ., it’s always helpful.

Buen Camino
Annie

€60,-
Hi Laurie, we are flying in to Madrid on 4 April and I am thinking about walking from the Church of Santiago to Plaza Castilla on the same day and then to continue to Tres Cantos the following day. I see you mention the Korean albergue near Plaza Castilla, which could be a good option for us to stay over. Where exactly is it located? Regards, Izak.

For Annie -- How are you getting to Budapest from Spain? Why not make a reservation for the night before in that city and ask them to hold it?

And for ruimsig, the info on the Korean albergue, copied from another post. There is really nothing other than 4 star business hotels near Plaza Castilla, at least none that have been mentioned on the forum or that I've seen. Buen camino to you lucky Camino de Madrid walkers! Laurie

There is actually a pilgrim albergue in Madrid, run by the Korean Camino Association. http://cachinyeon.wixsite.com/madrid. Their location is not bad for starting out on the Camino de Madrid, at least if you plan to start at Plaza Castilla -- it's a few metro stops away. (I would honestly recommend starting at the church of Santiago/San Juan in old Madrid, walking through town to the Plaza Castilla and continuing on, but I know many people don't like city walking).

For Annie -- How are you getting to Budapest from Spain? Why not make a reservation for the night before in that city and ask them to hold it?
Thanks for this Laurie.
From posts I’ve read over the years; i was aware that it wasn’t done to post parcels from Australia to Ivar in Spain because of problems clearing .
So I thought it wouldn’t work if I mailed from Spain to Budapest. Is it okay because it’s an EU country to another in EU? If this is so, it’s what I’ll do. I have a hotel reservation. Just a matter of checking whether they’ll hold it for the month.
A big help. Thankyou
Annie.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks Laurie. We are considering various options and the Korean albergue just might work for us. By the way, we will be walking the Camino Madrid to Sahagun and then continue on the Frances until Ponferrada from where we decided to be brave and do the Invierno! We have done the first two sections but the Invierno will be new to us. Although we do have previous versions, I ordered the 2017/18 editions of the Madrid and Invierno this morning! Izak.

Thanks Laurie. We are considering various options and the Korean albergue just might work for us. By the way, we will be walking the Camino Madrid to Sahagun and then continue on the Frances until Ponferrada from where we decided to be brave and do the Invierno! We have done the first two sections but the Invierno will be new to us. Although we do have previous versions, I ordered the 2017/18 editions of the Madrid and Invierno this morning! Izak.
Hi, Izak, stay tuned, I will have the 2018 version of the forum guide to the Invierno ready in the next month or so. You can find the current version here in the Resources section. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/camino-de-invierno-2017-edition.535/

The Madrid-Francés-Invierno combination is a great one, IMO!

Thanks for this Laurie.
From posts I’ve read over the years; i was aware that it wasn’t done to post parcels from Australia to Ivar in Spain because of problems clearing .
So I thought it wouldn’t work if I mailed from Spain to Budapest. Is it okay because it’s an EU country to another in EU? If this is so, it’s what I’ll do. I have a hotel reservation. Just a matter of checking whether they’ll hold it for the month.
A big help. Thankyou
Annie.

Sorry, I was confusing. What I meant was to ask what the Spanish city of departure to Budapest was. If you are flying from Madrid to Budapest, can you make a reservation in Madrid and send the package there?
I do not know the answer about mailing from Spain to Budapest directly. But I would feel better mailing it just within Spain myself. Buen camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sorry, I was confusing. What I meant was to ask what the Spanish city of departure to Budapest was. If you are flying from Madrid to Budapest, can you make a reservation in Madrid and send the package there?
I do not know the answer about mailing from Spain to Budapest directly. But I would feel better mailing it just within Spain myself. Buen camino

Ha ha, very confusing Laurie
I’ve sent PM to you rather than post long winded explanation here , thanks
Annie

€60,-
Our plan is set...we arrive in Madrid on March 14 and depart for Sahagún on March 16. We are reviewing all of our options for first few days (it’s complicated as CdM pilgrims know), but will strive to share our experience. Many thanks to those who have posted their CdM blogs as I have read, reread and printed your recommendations.

There seems to be a particular Camino trend; why is leaving SJPDP, Sevilla and now Madrid so “interesting”?

Last edited:
Our plan is set...we arrive in Madrid on March 14 and depart for Sahagún on March 16. We are reviewing all of our options for first few days (it’s complicated as CdM pilgrims know), but will strive to share our experience. Many thanks to those who have posted their CdM blogs as I have read, reread and printed your recommendations.

There seems to a particular Camino trend; why is leaving SJPDP, Sevilla and now Madrid so “interesting”?
Hola!

Huh, you'll be a month ahead of me so I guess no chance of meeting up. It's a beatuful Camino with the nicest people on all of my 10 Caminos. I wish you to enjoy it to the fullest!

Frances is believed to be starting from SJPdP. If you start from there then that's the start. For example most Spaniards "believe" Frances starts from Roncesvalles. I haven't heard of a solid historical reason that Frances starts in SJPdP.
VdlP from Sevilla is getting more and more popular with second-time pilgrims, same as Norte.
But I'm not so sure for huge rise on Camino de Madrid. I did it back in 2014 but the numbers didn't rise a lot since then.

Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Jill
hello jill Myself and daughter plan to start from Madrid ,but from near Albergue Petrus on the first day and walking to Tres Cantos .Need to cut down the km as daughter has not walked before .So we will probably catch up ,find you along way and enjoy some tapas etc We get to Madrid on 20 march and will go to cathedral /get the credentials etc on the day after .See ya !

hello jill Myself and daughter plan to start from Madrid ,but from near Albergue Petrus on the first day and walking to Tres Cantos .Need to cut down the km as daughter has not walked before .So we will probably catch up ,find you along way and enjoy some tapas etc We get to Madrid on 20 march and will go to cathedral /get the credentials etc on the day after .See ya !
Hi Samba
There are two more of us from this forum (@AcrossTheWater3008 &moi), heading out of Madrid with Jill on Friday 23 March. We’ve only pre booked first night in Madrid and first stage at Trés cantos (hostel called VpJardine. ). What day are you starting? You may be in front of us ?
I hope we do all meet up with you and your daughter. .. no commitment to stay together but if walking styles mesh ., we could all have company at days end.

Buen Camino

Last edited:

Great! Hope to see you both somewhere along the way!
Jill

Jill
hello jill ,am starting too on 23 ,with my daughter .But will start from further out ,plaza de Castilla ? Am hoping to get to the mass on the Wed night and get credentials so may see you there ,or else am sure along the way for a vino or 2 Hope Im visible !!(being older ) we are going to stay in Segovia for Semana Santa .Hasta la vista .

Long walk yesterday from Segovia to Santa Maria de la Real , 10.00am until 18.30 .Got sello from cathedral & made our way to zarramala , Valseca , Los Huertos & I saw a sign for Albergue Las Vegas in the village , does anyone know of this . The bar was closed & couldn't find the shop .Between Los Huertos & Ane , you cross bridge & take right through fields , very close to river & slightly flooded , there looks to be a path further down the rd once you have crossed the river . Slightly confused in the woods but eventually opens out to farm land & pylons on horizon , you walk between the fields heading to right slightly. Ane to P-ambrose then Santa de la Real de nieva. Couldn't track down hospiteleria but met spanish pilgrimage in bar who had the key .Shops had closed by this time & had snacks in bar .Long tiring day

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Long walk yesterday from Segovia to Santa Maria de la Real , 10.00am until 18.30 .Got sello from cathedral & made our way to zarramala , Valseca , Los Huertos & I saw a sign for Albergue Las Vegas in the village , does anyone know of this . The bar was closed & couldn't find the shop .Between Los Huertos & Ane , you cross bridge & take right through fields , very close to river & slightly flooded , there looks to be a path further down the rd once you have crossed the river . Slightly confused in the woods but eventually opens out to farm land & pylons on horizon , you walk between the fields heading to right slightly. Ane to P-ambrose then Santa de la Real de nieva. Couldn't track down hospiteleria but met spanish pilgrimage in bar who had the key .Shops had closed by this time & had snacks in bar .Long tiring day
Los Huertos albergue: https://www.gronze.com/castilla-y-leon/segovia/huertos/albergue-peregrinos-virgen-vegas

It would make a nice stop if you sleep in Segovia, do some more sight-seeing in the morning and then walk 12km to Los Huertos. I couldn't find shop there either and the bar was also closed. But you can stock up in Valseca.
The next day would be quite easy 20km to Sta.Maria la Real de Nieva and then 19km to Coca. This itinerary gives you opportunity to walk more even stages and always sleep in a village with enough infrastructure (not like Ane :) )

Buen Camino!

It is just a test I did with my phone.

Attachments

• IMG-79b1d5955e9cfde5f61d5b7d7249e457-V.jpg
    IMG-79b1d5955e9cfde5f61d5b7d7249e457-V.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Help , without being too technical, how do I post photos from a smartphone
I managed it very easily.
1 - go to desired thread
2 - tap the Insert Image icon above (8th from left to right, left from smiley)
3 - tap the Attach files window
4 - choose My Documents and select the photo
5 - tap Post reply.

You March Madrid folks must be getting excited.
Is anyone keeping a blog or will you post daily updates here?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Rachel
I know I’m getting into a spin here!! I’m always a bit of a ‘rush about at the end’ type.
We could possibly be 5 leaving Madrid. I will try to keep updated on forum - I think there will be a few following later + heading out in April.
I know it’s good to hear if the snow ⛄️ has cleared etc. and I like to read Tony’s notes on current weather. I will try.
Annie
Ps Rachel , have you received feedback yet confirming internet price on that accommodation you were waiting for?

Annie

Help , without being too technical, how do I post photos from a smartphone

Followed instructions & it says file is too large

Hi Tony
Are you trying to load too many at once ?
Have you tried doing just one .

I haven’t tried to attach a pic to forum for a long time but I did use method outlined by peregrina2000. / right now at this point I can see the ‘post reply ‘ blue box button - &’left of that there is the white box with ‘attach files ‘. You can hit that and it will take you to photo library (in your smartphone ) to select. Then post the reply
This works on my iPhone but I can never work out galaxy

Good luck
Annie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Followed instructions & it says file is too large
Are you using iPhone? I'm on Android (not steroid though although beer could be one...)
As you can see from post no.51 I was able to post my photo. And I did it for the first time from my phone...

I tend to go offline when on camino, and I don’t do blogs, but hopefully one of the others will post a few things here :D.
Jill

Ps Rachel , have you received feedback yet confirming internet price on that accommodation you were waiting for?

Annie

No, so sorry that won’t help you yet - although if I get a reply to my follow-up message I’ll info here. Otherwise I might be asking you to pop in and make an inquiry as you walk past!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Keeps saying
Hi Rachel
I know I’m getting into a spin here!! I’m always a bit of a ‘rush about at the end’ type.
We could possibly be 5 leaving Madrid. I will try to keep updated on forum - I think there will be a few following later + heading out in April.
I know it’s good to hear if the snow ⛄️ has cleared etc. and I like to read Tony’s notes on current weather. I will try.
Annie

Annie

It was snowing fairly heavily as we left nava de la asuncion yesterday I think ? Had lunch at hotel fray Sebastian & were falling asleep, so decided to stay. Great walk through the forest as the snow was coming down .Brightened up in afternoon as we got to villeguillo, nice albergue but cold although there is a heater . A bit of a mix up in translation with bar owner as we thought he said order food before 8pm when it was after 8pm.. walked through to Alcarazen on a dry bright but cold day today & booked in to albergue , very nice . Met a fellow pilgrim coming in , looks like a hardened walked , 60 litre bag ? Patricia is her name & not sure what nationality yet as just had brief conversation. Could see what looked like deep snow on the mountains as we left Segovia .

€60,-
@OzAnnie
Hostal Castilla at Av Juan Carlos 10 in Medina de Rioseco is the place. Query €18 for the price.
Just if you happen to be passing;-)

@OzAnnie
Hostal Castilla at Av Juan Carlos 10 in Medina de Rioseco is the place. Query €18 for the price.
Just if you happen to be passing;-)
I will Rachel. I’ve put it on my iPhone notes. (Just have to remember to check !!). At least with it out there., one of us should remember and report back. Lol

Annie

It was snowing fairly heavily as we left nava de la asuncion yesterday I think ? Had lunch at hotel fray Sebastian & were falling asleep, so decided to stay. Great walk through the forest as the snow was coming down .Brightened up in afternoon as we got to villeguillo, nice albergue but cold although there is a heater . A bit of a mix up in translation with bar owner as we thought he said order food before 8pm when it was after 8pm.. walked through to Alcarazen on a dry bright but cold day today & booked in to albergue , very nice . Met a fellow pilgrim coming in , looks like a hardened walked , 60 litre bag ? Patricia is her name & not sure what nationality yet as just had brief conversation. Could see what looked like deep snow on the mountains as we left Segovia .

Brrrrrrrr. Hola Tony,
I think I’ve answered my unspoken question!!
I hadn’t decided which footwear to take. I seem to get some different problem each walk, so have a heap to choose from! My attempt at finding the best pair for me. !
Leaving here in less than 48 hrs so it sounds like it could be cold and mucky in places by the time we get there ( there’s got to be a lot of ‘run off’ following snow) - I guess I’ll wear the good old Keen mids (goretex lined). I was going to try some trail runners as I have never used them on camino but they will get too wet, too quickly; and I’ll have very wet/cold tootsies.

I’ll be packing gloves too !
Thanks tony
Buen Camino
Annie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Brrrrrrrr. Hola Tony,
I think I’ve answered my unspoken question!!
I hadn’t decided which footwear to take. I seem to get some different problem each walk, so have a heap to choose from! My attempt at finding the best pair for me. !
Leaving here in less than 48 hrs so it sounds like it could be cold and mucky in places by the time we get there ( there’s got to be a lot of ‘run off’ following snow) - I guess I’ll wear the good old Keen mids (goretex lined). I was going to try some trail runners as I have never used them on camino but they will get too wet, too quickly; and I’ll have very wet/cold tootsies.

I’ll be packing gloves too !
Thanks tony
Buen Camino
Annie
Hola, Annie,

I think mid boots are the right choice. The Madrid might not be dry yet and you'll have some steep inclines on Invierno.
And you don't need to bring gloves. If needed spair pair of socks will do just fine.

Hola, Annie,

I think mid boots are the right choice. The Madrid might not be dry yet and you'll have some steep inclines on Invierno.
And you don't need to bring gloves. If needed spair pair of socks will do just fine.
I’ve done the ‘socks’ method before. Just sounded freezing there !
Must keep the weight down tho - thanks for reminding me.
Annie

The Spanish lady (Patricio) that turned up said she had about 10 river crossings on the way from Tres Cantos to Colmenar & it was up to her knees sometimes , she also walked the rd from cercedilla to Segovia in pouring rain, a lot tougher than me .

Packed and ready to go, but now wondering if I’ve got enough warm layers . . . . difficult to “feel” how cold it will be there, when it’s 30 degrees here . . . . I can do rain, but I don’t have much experience of snow and ice :eek::eek:.
Jill

It was 3c when we left Alcazaren this morning Jill. Detoured on train to Vallodalid & got boots , posted old ones home €24 . Poured down , sleeted & hailed . Easy day , bus to Vallodalid, train to Valdestillas & walked 90 mins from there . Not that pleasant walking alongside the rd . Great albergue & met up with Patricio again, had another look at her pack this am & it looks more like 80 to 90 litre !

€149,-
Packed and ready to go, but now wondering if I’ve got enough warm layers . . . . difficult to “feel” how cold it will be there, when it’s 30 degrees here . . . . I can do rain, but I don’t have much experience of snow and ice :eek::eek:.
Jill
Put your gloves back in. Socks work in a pinch but you don’t want to get your spare pair wet do you?

€149,-
Jill
You’re definitely more organized than me. I couldn’t find my sleeping bag liners (I have a warm and a silk )...I just couldn’t leave it ....to just get on with the departure prep. Spent hours . Just found them. I think I’ll take the warm liner plus the sleeping bag. (I feel I’m as mad as a March hare !).
I’m like you Jill - it’s been hitting high 30’s here ... change coming.
The weather there makes one pack extra !
If I hadn’t found the liners I would have managed wearing extra gear to sleep.
C u soon
Annie

Ah??? To glove or not to glove.

Sun quite warm here in Castromonte but cold out of it , frozen puddles this am . Been doing short days & only walked from Penaflor de Honija today . PS when you walk past the pig sty on this stage there may a rather large dog loose but he is as soft as a brush & just looking for someone to play with , he was jumping up but I have him a stroke & he seemed happy enough. There were some loose farm dogs on the way out of Penaflor it we bypassed them by default . The shop in Castromonte is open 10.00 - to 13.00 & the bar does food in the day (snacks). The guy told us they didn't serve food at night but then I think he took pity & said they would . Penaflor Albergue & Castromonte albergues both excellent. Buen Camino

Like "ruimsig", it would be great to see updates on trail conditions. The high percentage of "dirt track" on the CM make it appealing, but with all the rain, has it turned into a nightmare? Thanks!

€83,-
Sun quite warm here in Castromonte but cold out of it , frozen puddles this am . Been doing short days & only walked from Penaflor de Honija today . PS when you walk past the pig sty on this stage there may a rather large dog loose but he is as soft as a brush & just looking for someone to play with , he was jumping up but I have him a stroke & he seemed happy enough. There were some loose farm dogs on the way out of Penaflor it we bypassed them by default . The shop in Castromonte is open 10.00 - to 13.00 & the bar does food in the day (snacks). The guy told us they didn't serve food at night but then I think he took pity & said they would . Penaflor Albergue & Castromonte albergues both excellent. Buen Camino
Good to hear there is actually a shop in Castromonte. Maybe the owner would open for a hungry pilgrim even later in the day. Same as in Sta.Marta de Tera on Sanabres (instructions in albergue kitchen).

Hi Annie good luck with your walk, I wish you health and strong legs and few blisters! I am very curious what the walking conditions will be in light of all the rain and snow in the area. Especially between Tres Cantos and Matealpino. I would imagine that little streams would have developed into rivers with a lot of mud and puddles everywhere! And then of course the stretch between Cercedilla and Segovia, with all the snow on the mountain. My wife and I are setting out from Madrid on 4 April and we hope that the weather would have improved by then. Buen Camino, Izak.
Hi, Izak,
On the first stretch you mentioned only TC to Colmenar Viejo would be flooded because it runs through the valley. Later on I can't recall any such spot or there are bridges and inclines.
But in the snow Cercedilla - Segovia could be tough but not on the sunny day I think.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Like "ruimsig", it would be great to see updates on trail conditions. The high percentage of "dirt track" on the CM make it appealing, but with all the rain, has it turned into a nightmare? Thanks!
Those AG tracks are mostly light gravel tracks and hardly become a mud trap ;)

Hi, Izak,
On the first stretch you mentioned only TC to Colmenar Viejo would be flooded because it runs through the valley. Later on I can't recall any such spot or there are bridges and inclines.
But in the snow Cercedilla - Segovia could be tough but not on the sunny day I think.
Yes we found that to be the case , but from Colmenar we had 2 short /small streams to cross, one stepping stones & the other was a log , hanging on to barbed wire fence

For all those other forum members heading to the Camino de Madrid soon, I (and I think others) would love to hear about SR. Braulio Martín and if he is still well in Castromonte. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...e-bar-owner-now-almost-100.42686/#post-463134

Day 2

We 3 joined up at 10am plaza de Castilla. Let’s partake 2nd coffee etc.
On our way eventually. Doddled off slowly. Excellent signage , looks new. You don’t really need to read guides as arrows are there as needed. Until you want to get into Tres Cantos. We had sun above and cool temps until about 7k before Tres Cantos. Jill made the call to head over the highway - no real signage , follow your nose - once in there I asked first person I saw to point me in direction of V P Jardin.

The other two ladies seem to be handling the walk better than me. I was beat.

V P Jardin is very very nice. Great value.

E32.40 for my room. Gorgeous. The other two are sharing a room and paid E16 each .

Dinner at hotel was tops. No menu del dia today but lovely food and wine .

So overall today was a goodie. Company was great.

Last edited:
Jill
[/QUOT
I'll be leaving Madrid either the 24th or 25th of March. Hopefully we'll get to meet on the Camino.

My mistake I thought the thread was 2019. I intend to leave Madrid on the 24th or 25th of March 2019.

My mistake I thought the thread was 2019. I intend to leave Madrid on the 24th or 25th of March 2019.
@Chito
Nevermind. I intend to walk the Madrid later this year and have found some information on this thread which I had not seen previously, so I am grateful to you for resurrecting it. Others may also find it useful. Thanks again.

@Chito
Nevermind. I intend to walk the Madrid later this year and have found some information on this thread which I had not seen previously, so I am grateful to you for resurrecting it. Others may also find it useful. Thanks again.

I'm walking this year :D I couldn't make it last March but we're walking from Tres Cantos on 25th September. I'm in Madrid 8-12 May so I'll make time to walk the first day to Tres Cantos on that visit. I'm very excited about this camino... Madrid, San Salvador and Primitivo... I start a training regime in March when I get home! :)

€60,-
I'm walking this year :D I couldn't make it last March but we're walking from Tres Cantos on 25th September. I'm in Madrid 8-12 May so I'll make time to walk the first day to Tres Cantos on that visit. I'm very excited about this camino... Madrid, San Salvador and Primitivo... I start a training regime in March when I get home! :)
I’lI be starting in early October after I finish my hospitalera stint at Nájera. I plan on walking the Madrid to the Francés to the Invierno.

Fabulous! I love the sound of the Inveirno but I've heard a lot of talk of dogs. Magwood is also walking this camino in 2019 I think so I'll be interested to read about both walks! Problem is there is too much choice :)

I’lI be starting in early October after I finish my hospitalera stint at Nájera. I plan on walking the Madrid to the Francés to the Invierno.

Wishing you both a Buen Camino! I'm walking this route in May and will post some notes either live from the Camino, or when I get home.

For Johnny Walker some additions to his guidebook.
In Nava de la asuncion. Rosa at the bakery was pleasant but unhelpful, sent me on a wild goose chase took me a couple hours to actually get to with someone to open the albergue. People are best off using the phone numbers and not using Rosa. The Men Who open the door for me just kind of shook their head. I was fortunate that a stranger happened to know the number.

The bar in valdestillas worked out very well. For 25 euros I had a very nice room with Wi-Fi. The food was good. I was fortunate, however, because I did not have a reservation. It is best for folks to have a reservation.

In cigunuella there is a bar and a restaurant and a tienda. The bar also serves food. The restaurant says you must be there by 1:30 to eat and then they close at 5pm. That may have been just today because folks are wanting to watch the soccer game this afternoon. The bar serves Late in the evening. The albergue has eight bunks and two beds

Most read last week in this forum

A couple days ago I started the Camino Madrid from Segovia. Some of you may recall that I posted a few months ago looking for a relatively flat Camino to test out my body to find out if I could...
We planning a Camino Mixto of Camino Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo starting in early April next year. April 13-20 is Semana Santa next year We will probably fly in to Barcelona on 4th April and play...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.