• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino de Madrid October 2008

Kevin F. O*brien

Time of past OR future Camino
2002-2019 Via Podiensis, Camino Frances, Via de la plata, Camino del Norte, Camino Primitivo, etc.
Hello everyone especially Javier, once again thanks so much for coming to Cercidilla and for all the info. And not the least to Rebecca who picked us up in Sahagun and gave us with her husband Patrick a wonderful evening at Moratinos. Everyone this is a wonderful Camino. The blue book from CSJ (Maurice and Marigold Fox) and the updates from Peter Tucker which they include are more than sufficient. Maurice wrote in the year 2000 and there were no refugios then. Now there are refugios all the way from Segovia. Use the update with the blue book. Peter will be glad to know about the ref. at Melgar de Arriba. Now you don't have the long 40 km to Sahagun any more.
The refs are with one exception (Alcazeren) well equipped with beautiful kitchens. Cigunuela has no kitchen but there are four good restaurants in the town! Two of the refs at Puente Duero and Santa maria de Nueva are among the best refs. we have ever stayed in. We walked with one Spanish pilgrim and there are about three hundred a year walking. So you will have peace and quiet in fantastic natural surroundings. Segovia and Medina de Rioseco are beautiful cities and very peaceful. Then there are the old castillos everywhere. It is very solitary so don't rely on meeting other people. One more thing - the waymarking is good to very good all the way to Sahagun and seems to have been "updated" recently. Thanks to the Amigos. We are now at home at can answer any questions you may have.
Buen Camino
Kevin and Kari

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There is not one day that goes by when I don't think about my camino experience. Hearing about your walking it makes my feet itch! Lovely to see someone else enjoying this wonderful walk.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello Kevin and Kari,

Love your encouraging words. Can't wait to walk from Madrid to Sahagun, starting May 26. Just wondering about the first bit from Madrid to Colmenar veijo. It's a bit too far for us to do in 1 day. We are thinking of going as far as El Goloso and getting a train or bus back to Madrid first night. Any suggestions gratefully received . This is our 3rd Camino and we just love them.

Best wishes
CaroleH

Re: El Goloso

Hello Carole, it was nice to hear that there will be more people on the "Madrid". Your idea about the first day is nearly exactly what we did on we walked another four km on from El Goloso a "new town" and got the train back to Madrid from there. If you are starting from the centre of Madrid at the Plaza Castellano you will find the first yellow arrow on a lamp post under the "leaning tower" on the left. Left being looking in the direction out of Madrid. There are a few cafes nearby which do an early breakfast. Be careful with the arrows around the Medical centre, but it's well enough marked. It took us about three or four hours to El Goloso.
Stamps and pilgrim blessing can be obtained from the Iglesia de Santiago on the Plaza Santiago near the Palace in the centre of Madrid. Mass at 1930.
I hope you enjoy yourselves as much as we did.

Best,

Kevin and Kari

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
CaroleH said:
Hello Kevin and Kari,

Love your encouraging words. Can't wait to walk from Madrid to Sahagun, starting May 26. Just wondering about the first bit from Madrid to Colmenar veijo. It's a bit too far for us to do in 1 day. We are thinking of going as far as El Goloso and getting a train or bus back to Madrid first night. Any suggestions gratefully received . This is our 3rd Camino and we just love them.

Best wishes
CaroleH

CaroleH,

Anyway, there is a pension in Colmenar viejo with special prizes for pilgrims. In El Goloso there is exactly nothing. And in Tres Cantos ... an hotel (expensive one) and some pensions but far from the marked path. To return to Madrid is not a bad idea.

In Segovia there is not albergue. And, from there, all kind of albergues you can need. If you want some help to prepare your Camino, ask me what you need and I will try my best.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

We are about 2 weeks from beginning the Camino de Madrid, and just doing some final mapping out. Is there any accommodation at all to break up the 31K between Cercedilla and Segovia?
Thanks.
lynne

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
lynnejohn said:
We are about 2 weeks from beginning the Camino de Madrid, and just doing some final mapping out. Is there any accommodation at all to break up the 31K between Cercedilla and Segovia?
Thanks.
lynne

There's exactly nothing.

Just a couple of fountains. And forest, mountain, and beautiful views. But nothing else, no shops, bars restaurants, and of course accommodation.

Buen Camino de Madrid,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Thanks Javier. We'll tough it out then. Good to know, though to bring extra food and water.
lynne

Thanks Kevin and Javier for advice re early etapa of the "Madrid'. Much appreciated.

Till next time
Buen camino
Carole
Australia

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi everyone,
Just been reading all your great posts on the Camino de Madrid. I'm planning to walk in late September through to late October/early November and am torn between returning to the Camino Frances (I started in Roncesvalles and have always wanted to get back to do the passage between St Jean Pied de Port and Roncesvalles) and now walking the Camino de Madrid. I like the idea of the solitude of this route and also the fact that I hear it's very well marked along the way. Only concern is that I'll be travelling by myself for most of it - any tips, etc. for a gal walking alone? I'm sure the way is very safe, and when I walked the Camino Frances in 2001 I never felt any problems and walked a lot of the way by myself.
Thanks again for all your comments, they've been great to read.
Cheers, Meena

Hello Meenas and thanks for the kind words. Weather wise the "Madrid" will be fine in late September. You may get rain but also some very hot days. The first part from Madrid to Cercedilla includes walking through the northern suburbs and satellite villages of Madrid so there are plenty of people about. There are a lot of walkers in the hills over Segovia as well. From Segovia and northward at that time of year it is very quiet, and you may be quite alone in the refugios and on the road. I can't imagine that would be a problem, but you may become quite lonely, and it is fun to have at least someone to talk to. If you speak any Spanish at all, it would be a great help. Our good friend Javier Martin lives in Madrid and may have the time to walk a stage or two with you. Javier met us in Cercedilla and was a great help with info and general support. It was a great Camino (Sept/Oct. 2008) and our thoughts will be with you.

Best,

Kevin and Kari O'Brien

Hi Kevin and Kari,

Thanks so much for that information, and especially for your well wishes. It's good to know what to expect. I've got a friend joining me for a few days on the stretch from Madrid to Sahagun (not exactly sure at what point, but your comments have me thinking where I'd like her to join me!). Then my partner will join me for the last few days into Santiago de Compostela. I guess once I hit the Camino Frances, there will be more people around, so maybe things will balance out nicely in terms of solitude and company.

I'm getting so very excited now (well, have been excited since I walked my first Camino and knew I was hooked!). It's great such forums as this exist.

Many thanks again, Meena :D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Meenas,

If you need some help or advice tell me.

Anyway I've walked recently the etapa Cercedilla-Segovia, during the last years the arrows have changed to better, and during the whole Camino there's no problem about. Only albergues after Segovia, except a youth one in Cercedilla. And ...

Buen Camino de Madrid,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.