• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino de Madrid or Camino Frances? 35 days, winter time

Polar bear

Time of past OR future Camino
Caminho Portugues Central - Dec 2013/Jan14
Caminho Português pela Costa Dec 2014/Jan15
Camino Finisterre Jan 2015
Caminho da Fé Brazil Nov 2014
Caminho Frei Galvão Brazil Feb 2015
Camino de Madrid Dec 2015/Jan16
Hi!
As usual, I intend to walk a winter camino, and I would appreciate some advice on which one would be best to take, keeping in mind that I have 35 days total including Xmas and New Year. I've heard the Camino de Madrid is quite solitary even in summer, so I suppose winter would be even worse. Any thoughts and advice?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
To me, the only place you might have a little difficulty on the Madrid walk would be the section through that forested park over the mountain - don't have my notes with me. I think it was the etapa leaving Cercedilla? Every place else is pretty flat. Snow might make that climb slippery, but doable, depending on how much they get.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello Polar Bear! Welcome to the fórum! I wish you a pleasant a fruitful stay among us.

the only place you might have a little difficulty on the Madrid walk would be the section through that forested park over the mountain - don't have my notes with me. I think it was the etapa leaving Cercedilla?

Right, the stage leaving Cercedilla. Depending on how much snows this year, it may be a problem. Although if snow doesn't allow you to pass it and if you are a bit flexible, you can take the train from Cercedilla to Segovia and problem solved...

Snow might appear at any other point of the camino de Madrid (i.e.: instead of a rainy day you may find a snowy one) on December and January but it's unlikely to make it in such amount as to make walking a problem. In fact, you may find no snow at all (except on the stage out of Cercedilla).

Once on the camino francés, you might find problems with snow in Foncebadón and in O Cebreiro. Although if snow in O Cebreiro is a problem, you can always walk the camino de invierno from Ponferrada instead of the francés...

Snow might appear too at any point of the meseta part of the camino francés but, as well as in the camino de Madrid, you might find no snow at all in the meseta.

As it seems you plan to be on the route on Christmas and New Year, I would suggest to verify albergue availability on those dates (and their eves) on wherever you might be. Check your food options on those dates too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for the info. I'm not so concerned about the weather, but if the albergues might be open or not. I'll check them in advance!

There was quite a lot of snow on the Cercedilla stretch in late March this year, at least 50 cm deep in many places when we were going down, while the whole way up the mountain was dry and snow-free. I would definitely skip that particular stretch, it was quite hard to move, and we kept probing the snow with our poles to ensure that we wouldn't get stuck.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was in Madrid for a meeting a couple of years ago and had a free Saturday. So on Friday night I took the train to Cercedilla and walked the next day to Segovia. It was in February and I was prepared to turn back if needed, but it was a beautiful day with a few little icy parts but no snow accumulation of any great amount. So I guess the only constant is that the weather is very changeable! Depending on what people in town say, I would try to take the walk, at least that way you might see the Roman road and some of the fabulous views. If it gets dicey, turn back, walk down and hop on the train.

As to solitariness, yes, this is one of those caminos where I met only two other people walking. But it is a very well marked and very pretty route.

Hi! Cannot really comment more on the weather/snow aspect but when I walked this route last September (2014) I did not meet one other Pilgrim walking until I reached Sahugun...
It is a very lonely route but beautiful but lots of the stages are long and very open and exposed with very little shelter - and Albergues were interesting even in September.
I LOVED this route and it taught me so much but it is not a route to be undertaken without wanting what it provides. I just walked from Cercedilla to Segovia with my son- what a stunning day's walk this is for any human being. So fortunate. I hope this helps....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi!
As usual, I intend to walk a winter camino, and I would appreciate some advice on which one would be best to take, keeping in mind that I have 35 days total including Xmas and New Year. I've heard the Camino de Madrid is quite solitary even in summer, so I suppose winter would be even worse. Any thoughts and advice?

Sounds good Laurie. I echo all the comments about snow on the Fuenfria and checking with open/closed albergues. It is a very solitary, but beautiful Camino. You have around 13 days to Sahagun/Moratinos and then about 2 or three to Leon and then 12 to Santiago. That should cover your time frame. I'm just back from the Salvador and the Primitivo. Wow! Lots of changes for the better, since we walked it about six years ago. Mmore about that later. Best and Buen Camino. Kev

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.