• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino de Madrid suggestions

mmaxx

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte (2009-10, 2012), Camino de Madrid (2012)
Dear all,

I'm currently collecting some notes on my recent trip along the Camino de Madrid in order to help edit the Confraternity of St James's guide book.

I was wondering whether any of you would like to share some tips/comments on your own experience along the camino.

Ultreya et Suseia!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I had the latest edition of CSJ:s guidebook 2010 by Johnny Walker when I walked this year and I sent a month ago 3 things to him :

1. The albergue in Alcasaren that was described in the guide as old and bad and turned out to be new and nice :)
2 The bad signing after Wamba where I was lost. I went back to Wamba and walked the road.
3. In the guide there were examples of hotels in Simancas that were along the big road. I found two nice pensions in the old parts of Simancas just by following the yellow arrows. 20 Euros for a single room.

Roger from Sweden

Cercedilla alberque closes end of August, some confusion here, we had checked, policia told jose we could sleep in deportivo but policia on duty said no, he also told us the youth hostel was open so we walked out, it wasn't open, so we walked back in and stayed in a good Hostal. Near train station, bars, cafes etc.
If you stop in the bar in Valseca buy a roll or eat well, nothing until Santa Maria, facilities in Ane are summer only, Alberque is open by key from Mayor but you need food. Bikers told us it was ok and a woman gave them some pan..
Alcazaren lovely alberque, townspeople, bar real all really helpful, free internet in the Info centre, no mass.
Medina-the Nuns have opened a new alberque, very good and a Pilgrims menu is available on their recommendation too.
The Canal alternative is good, no bar in Tamariz (Sept)
Visit valladolid.
We stayed in penaflor, what a laugh, Mayor runs the show here. Clean, also internet available in the reception hall.
All in all great information in the Guides and lauries notes.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I had the latest edition of CSJ:s guidebook 2010 by Johnny Walker when I walked this year and I sent a month ago 3 things to him :

1. The albergue in Alcasaren that was described in the guide as old and bad and turned out to be new and nice :)
2 The bad signing after Wamba where I was lost. I went back to Wamba and walked the road.
3. In the guide there were examples of hotels in Simancas that were along the big road. I found two nice pensions in the old parts of Simancas just by following the yellow arrows. 20 Euros for a single room.

Roger from Sweden

So I have seen both that this albergue in Alcazaren is CLOSED and that it is new and nice. Does anyone have current information from 2014 on this?
Thanks!

Hi, Annie,
Where did you see that it was closed? When I was in Alcazaren, it was the new one (2011) but it was totally unmaintained. I think more recent visitors have said that the upkeep has improved. There was no way to clean it, no cleaning material at all, and it was really dirty. Laurie

Slept there in May 2013.
Brand new and well kept.
Kitchen has no equipment but Bar Real (where you get the key) serves good food.
Enjoy,
Jean-Marc

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Same as Canuck for me, stayed in june 2013 perfect albergue and nice dinner in bar Real.

Roger

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello I am in the planning phase of the Camino de Madrid. Hoping to start walking in late May. The Confraternity of James' guidebook in out of print and no longer available, so I have been basing...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.