• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino de Portuguese in December

pjrotramel

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino De Portugues (2015)
My daughter and I are planning for mid Dec through mid Jan. This is our only opportunity before she goes off to college. I am an experienced long distance and cold weather hiker. She is not. I'm not to concerned with comfortable but very concerned about Safety. Any advice about weather would be appriciated.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have thought about walking this route in winter as well. Had planned it for last year, this winter may be on again. The problems that I can see is that you are at altitude (800m -1000) for a few days so may have problems with snow if its a cold winter, they have a lot of rain in that region. Places may not be open, you will be relying on a volunteer to open up the Albergues for you , with it being the festive period they could be away. Also there is a couple of big days, the lack of daylight hours would be a concern.

Good luck to you, if I do go it will be about the 21st, a week after you.

Hi pjrotramel,

Welcome to the forum!
Which Portuguese route are you planning to walk? You've posted this in the "caminho interior" section, which is a caminho that goes from Viseu to Verin in Spain (on the Sanabres) via Chaves and then onto Santiago. But whichever Portuguese route you're thinking about walking, Dec-Jan can be very rainy in Portugal north of the Algarve. There was a forum member who walked with his wife and nephew in that time frame maybe two or three years ago -- I just can't find his posts or remember his name. Anyone else remember? His wife was Japanese, I believe, as was his nephew, and he had some great stories to tell. But lots and lots of rain as I remember.

I've lived two academic years in Lisbon. During one of those years, it never rained at all during the winter months, but the second year was like monsoon season. These were 2004-05 and 08-09, so it's essentially impossible to know what will await you! Temperatures will not be really cold anywhere in Portugal, though, except maybe up in the Serra d'Estrela.

Good luck with the planning, there are lots of people who have walked from Lisbon if that's what you're planning. A couple of forum members are walking the Interior from Viseu this fall and will have some info to share before you leave, but won't of course know anything about weather in winter. Bom caminho, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi pjrotramel,

Welcome to the forum!
Which Portuguese route are you planning to walk? You've posted this in the "caminho interior" section, which is a caminho that goes from Viseu to Verin in Spain (on the Sanabres) via Chaves and then onto Santiago. But whichever Portuguese route you're thinking about walking, Dec-Jan can be very rainy in Portugal north of the Algarve. There was a forum member who walked with his wife and nephew in that time frame maybe two or three years ago -- I just can't find his posts or remember his name. Anyone else remember? His wife was Japanese, I believe, as was his nephew, and he had some great stories to tell. But lots and lots of rain as I remember.

I've lived two academic years in Lisbon. During one of those years, it never rained at all during the winter months, but the second year was like monsoon season. These were 2004-05 and 08-09, so it's essentially impossible to know what will await you! Temperatures will not be really cold anywhere in Portugal, though, except maybe up in the Serra d'Estrela.

Good luck with the planning, there are lots of people who have walked from Lisbon if that's what you're planning. A couple of forum members are walking the Interior from Viseu this fall and will have some info to share before you leave, but won't of course know anything about weather in winter. Bom caminho, Laurie
that chap was american married to a korean woman who walked the caminho w/ her teenage nephew in jan/feb some years ago. forgot his name as well .... but he described it well ... mud and flooding in all its glory.
try this:
http://blueponykorea.blogspot.com/2013_01_01_archive.html

Thanks, Claudia, I KNEW someone would have a better memory than I! Bom caminho, Laurie
:)
i was so impressed by their fortitude and 'stoism' - read their blog twice and wondered if the wife perhaps was on the way to some sainthood :)
- and the name 'bluepony' stuck to some brain cell , hence i remembered -
blog also has nice photos ... of flood plains and drenched peregrinos. am in awe of some camino stories ... (especially as i don't do cold and wet very well)
saluti - c

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am thinking more like Chaves. We may only have 160 or so in us this first time. Only 2 or three weeks available time. I'm just trying to decide on the best route for her first experience.

We are also outside people and hoping to find spots to set up camp. Will there be any options for such foolishness. I spent 14 days above the arctic circle in March. We are adequately geared, Im just not sure how to find spots to set up.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi
As Peregrina 2000 says it is impossible to predict the weather in the north of Portugal.
If you want to make the CPI, you will probably rain and snow in the Montemuro mountains and in the hills of Galicia. In Portugal always have the reference of the national road number 2 (EN2).
The time delay of Viseu to Santiago are 14-16 days.
If you start the way in Chaves, you'll miss the most beautiful part of the way (even in winter).
The year 2015 was very dry, while the year 2014 was very rainy by contrast, know people who have given up on the city's RĂ©gua.
The CPI is not a good choice for the first path.
Bom caminho
AMSimoes

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back