• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino de Santiago - a wake up call

Caminando

Veteran Member
When you wake in the morning in a refugio, would you prefer to be wakened by music? Such as..

*Gregorian chant
*Syrian Christian sacred chant (Melchite)
*No music at all...

A very long time ago in San Juan de Ortega, I was wakened by Gregorian chant...I have never forgotten that.

Some may prefer silence.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I was awoken at Roncesvalles by Gregorian chant--started very, very low and gradually it got louder. In addition, the lights were gradually raised. It was a delightful and meaningful way to begin the day. So, so much better than the rustling of plastic and the glaring beams of headlights!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I enjoyed Gregorian Chant and I also enjoyed a little Bob Marley to put a spring in my step. Music was a great send off!

In Viana, we were awakened by an angelic chorus outside our windows at dawn.... just lovely!
Here are the words in Spanish, then English given to me by a peregrina from South America:

Aurora a La Virgen de Cuevas

En verano y primavera
Florecen las romarias
En verano y primavera
Bendice a los perigrinos
Que marchan a Compostela
Y sonrie a los vianeses
La que es más bella y sin par.

Sube al cielo la aurora radiante
Y en los campos hermanos de Viana
Una música suena galena
A la Virgen más bella y sin par.
Su camino se llena de pasos
Y los frutos gozosos florecen,
Las graganta de amor se enterenecen
Y los Rezos se tornan cantar.

Tiene un Niño entre sus brazos,
La Virgen de Cuevas, madre.
Tiene un Niño entre sus brazos,
Quien puriera como un hijo
Vivir siempre en su regazo
Viver siempre en su regazo
La Virgen de Cuevas, madre
Sube al cielo la aurora radiante
A la Virgen mas bella y sin par!.

--------------------

Dawn of the Virgin of Cuevas

In summer and spring
The rosemary flowers
In summer and spring
They bless the pilgrims
Who walk to Compostela
And dream of the Vianesse
who is most beautiful and without equal.

The radiating aurora fills the sky
and in the fields, brothers of Viana,
the Galena music plays
to the most beautiful Virgin without equal.
Their Camino is filled with steps
and the joyful fruits are blooming
Great is the love all around
And the prayers have become song.

You have the Son in your arms
Virgin of Cuevas, Mother,
You have the Son in your arms,
Who is pure like the son?
To always stay in her lap
To always stay in her lap
Virgin of Cuevas, Mother
The radiating aurora fills the sky
For the beautiful Virgin without equal.

In Estella/Lizarra we were woken very early on Easter Sunday by a small group of four or five dressed in period costume singing in the empty square. They seemed to be moving along a set route pausing at certain places and singing set stanzas - when we looked out of the window we could see that some residents had expected them and et up seats by their windows to view the performance as it moved across the square and down the street. To show her appreciation without disturbing the atmosphere Frances 'air clapped' and was rewarded with gracious bows and doffing of hats before the group moved off to their next location. It seemed to be part of the Easter tradition in Estella (?) but as we were leaving very early we weren't able to establish that for sure. Anyway it was a lovely way to be woken up.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
falcon269 said:
Three Germans getting an early start.

Thank you all for your comments: more are welcome. Bob Marley was a welcome and unexpected surprise! It seems that Gregorian chant or the like is ok -if only to hide the noise of plastic bags (which is surely a crime against humanity, and which I can't bear!).

I was a little surprised by the comment about Germans; in my repeated experiences since 1990 up to last month, they are among the nicest, most considerate pilgrims I have ever met. I have an old cloth badge which says "Camino de Santiago - Camino de Europa". Which I suppose,(at least in Europe) means that we don't single out any race or nation? Hope so anyway.

I'm told that the pilgrim salutation "Ultreia e Suseia" is a mixture of Latin and medieval German...

Ultreia e Suseia!

My best walks were with the Germans. I get up with them, and they provide cover for me by getting all the blame. Tongue in cheek, they blame everything on the Austrians.

The Germans were getting in practice to make sure that their towels were first on the deckchairs at Finisterre. :D

In England there is an old joke:

How do you like to be called?
Whatever you like as long as it's not before 9.00 o clock in the morning :shock:

As we are on national stereotypes: I do not care who or what wakes me up as long as they bring me a nice cup of tea at the same time. :lol:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
At the San Roque albergue in Corcubion we woke the pilgrims with Gregorian chant or el Divo. Amazing Grace or Hallelujah in the mornings is rousing enough to wake the sleepiest pilgrim.

Still on music, my co-hospitalera and I swept and mopped the floors to the sounds of The Full Monty (one of the few English Cds in the albergue.
"We are family...." sweep, sweep, sweep, "I got all my sister with me" mop, mop, mop, "We are family" sweep, mop, sweep, "Come everybody dance...""

In Ventosa, in 2006, we were awakened by classical music at 6am. What made it even more special was that each pilgrim had to agree, on arrival, not to get up before 6am. So no dawn chorus of early wakers rustling plastic bags.

Trudy

Trudy said:
In Ventosa, in 2006, we were awakened by classical music at 6am. What made it even more special was that each pilgrim had to agree, on arrival, not to get up before 6am. So no dawn chorus of early wakers rustling plastic bags.

Trudy

Ventosa! Personally, it is one of my least favorite memories of the Camino. I wasn't even asleep, but I hated being dynamited out of bed by the Hallelujah Chorus on full throttle. The sound system was on the ground floor, I was on the second floor and I am sure the sleepers on the third floor could hear every note. It was a jarring way to begin the day. Perhaps it was more startling because of how adamant they were that no one could get up before 6 am. I don't quite see why any movement at 5:59 is forbidden and at 6:01 the walls come tumbling down. :shock:

So, I say that volume is a crucial factor in the answer to the original post.

I vote for Gregorian chants on low volume or just the basic morning rustling.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back