• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino de Santiago between Toledo and Escalona

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi,

That's the version (over Villamiel de Toledo) that the guidebook of the Camino del Sureste (2010) mentions as a "future project" - I'm glad to see it has been completed. Take note, future pilgrims!

/BP

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Any idea what the pro and cons are of either route?

Yes I have, except for the new option mentioned above (there are different options as the Sureste and the Levante merge in the area). I'll just look up my old notes. I'll be back!

/BP

Any idea what the pro and cons are of either route?

... Well, up until now, there was only one way out of Toledo (blue line) and then, at Rielves, the Levante and the Sureste split. They unite again in Escalona. I did both, and I was about to say that it isn't that much of a difference ...

But perhaps the Levante with Torrijos (nice bar-albergue El Abuelo), the flat landscape between Val de Santo Domingo and Maqueda appealed more to me. Also perhaps there was a storm approaching and embedded the stage in a special atmosphere. The sky was black, in the middle of the day, and I could see the flashes of lightning from several miles a way thanks to the flat landscape. Very beautiful.

On the Sureste then, Huecas and Quismondo didn't seem much to me... Novés has an albergue run by Caritas, also very good standard, but I don't know...

Have you decided to go on the Levante or the Sureste? I think the real difference is only the first week due to the different starting points. Once you get to Albacete you can choose from time to time whether to follow one or the other...

BP

Bad Pilgrim - Thank you. I’m intending to go on the Sureste if only because the beginning of the route appears more appealing. Thereafter, I will probably stick with the Sureste because I like to finish what I start!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Bad Pilgrim - Thank you. I’m intending to go on the Sureste if only because the beginning of the route appears more appealing. Thereafter, I will probably stick with the Sureste because I like to finish what I start!

Okay! Actually I did the same thing, both with the Levante and the Sureste separately. In all, you won't regret it, it's wonderful.

BP

Okay! Actually I did the same thing, both with the Levante and the Sureste separately. In all, you won't regret it, it's wonderful.

BP

Not intending to hijack this thread, but BP, I'm wondering if you would recommend walking the Sureste to those who have already walked the Levante. I LOVED the Levante, but always thought I wouldn't go back for the Sureste, not sure why. What are your thoughts?

Well, I know it sounds strange to do both of them when they are so similar. But for me it was perfect: I love to repeat a Camino (can't explain why, it's like seeing an old friend), and doing new Caminos of course. By doing the Sureste I got the best of both worlds: sometimes I was on the Levante again, sometimes I experienced the new stages on the Sureste.

I know you're no stranger yourself to do a Camino twice, or more. So if you walked the Sureste you would see your "old friend" again, but also check out the other stages. I think it would suit you! :O) The first stages from Alicante to Albacete on the Sureste are more camino-ish; I liked them better than the first stages from Valencia. Orito. Novelda, Sax - I long to get back! That's why I'll probably start from Alicante on la Ruta de Lana - around 20th of June, I hope!

/BP

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Plans are still in hand. Currently looking for a week’s intensive Spanish course in Alicante before I start the walk. I have a ‘get by’ level of Spanish at the moment but feel I may need a bit more on this camino! Looking to start a course on 18 or 24 Apr. Just need to coordinate some inexpensive accommodation with he course.

Plans are still in hand. Currently looking for a week’s intensive Spanish course in Alicante before I start the walk. I have a ‘get by’ level of Spanish at the moment but feel I may need a bit more on this camino! Looking to start a course on 18 or 24 Apr. Just need to coordinate some inexpensive accommodation with he course.

I think that's a great pre-Camino activity, Mike, even though my French companions on the Levante didn't speak any Spanish and I'm sure they would have been fine without me along. The level of English spoken along the Sureste is probably not much different from what you found on some parts of the Vdlp/Sanabres. But having some Spanish makes a lot of difference post-walking, because you will find a lot of people interested in hearing your story and wondering why you would do such a crazy thing. And if you are lucky enough to find some fellow pilgrims, my experience is that the non-Spaniards will all speak English, but many of the Spanish pilgrims do not, so it could help with companionship on the camino as well.

Looking forward to hearing all about your Sureste. BP's comments have made me think I have been too quick to knock it off the list on the theory that it's too similar to the Levante. Buen camino, Laurie

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back