• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino de Santiago in June

Linards

Time of past OR future Camino
Planing to walk camino in June 2017
Hello everyone, I have returned to idea about Camino de Santiago! :)
I was planing to walk few years ago and everything stopped because of personal reasons.
I planed everything from A-Z, had all the necessary equipment but I had to postpone my trip.

So with a lot of happiness I can say that I am back and strongly consider doing it this time.
Everything have changed for me, I was planing to walk it alone as I was single but now everything has changed and I'm planing to walk it with my lovely wife :)

I haven't followed any news about Camino de Santiago and probably thinks have changed now :)
I have mainly one question I would like to be answered - Would 1000 eur budget be enough for 30 days for both of us? It's mainly for food and albergue's!

Thank you in advance!
Buen camino!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes it would, if it excludes travel to/from and equipment and if you, mainly, plan to prepare your own meals. Buen Camino and congratulations, SY

Yes it would, if it excludes travel to/from and equipment and if you, mainly, plan to prepare your own meals. Buen Camino and congratulations, SY
Yes, it excludes trip and equipment! Cooking by our selves is not a problem :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You might even want to team up with other pilgrims and cook together - keeps costs even more down. SY

Sybilla, I don't think less than 17e/day/person will cut it. I think 30/day is pretty Spartan considering: albergue at 8, morning cafe at 3, bocadilla for lunch at 5 and menu del dia 10+ for a total of 26 which does not include any beverages.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sybilla, I don't think less than 17e/day/person will cut it. I think 30/day is pretty Spartan considering: albergue at 8, morning cafe at 3, bocadilla for lunch at 5 and menu del dia 10+ for a total of 26 which does not include any beverages.
I agree. Is it possible to do it on 17 euro per day per person? Sure, but you will have to be very careful with your money.

Hi Don,

Actually your post proofs my point ;-) Saving potential: Make your own coffee in albergue and cook your own meals plus don't buy the sandwich, make your own ;-) Over the years I have met many pilgrims who did the Camino on 20 Euro/day or less. It is actually easier to do when there are two of you as grocery shopping will be cheaper/person , more varied and you waste less food. Buen Camino, SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As other people have pointed out, the budget is in the realm of dictating a certain lifestyle on the Camino, and if you are Ok with that then it should be sufficient, but borderline. It also has little allowance for the unexpected, and assumes you will make it in 30 days.

1. municipal vs private alberques.
You will probably want to stay in municipal albergues because they tend to be cheaper than private ones. You may pay €10 (or more) for a private one. Not that big a deal
2. Food
It is easy enough to buy food for the journey, so lunch becomes a bocadilla you make yourself and thus cheaper than one you buy in a cafe.
cafe con leche. Sitting down for a break with other people is facilitated by a cafe con leche or other beverage. Sure you can live without it but there are times when you will want to join your friends.
3. Pilgrim Meals vs cooking. A pilgrim meal costs about €10 (each) with wine, so you can definitely do cheaper if you cook yourself. However, you shouldn't budget so tightly that you can't have a pilgrim meal. They are great experiences of getting to know people and sharing. So is cooking for a bunch of people, by the way. Not sure if every albergue has cooking facilities. We loved the experience of pilgrim meals, especially with our Camino friends, where we might have different paces during the day and see little of each other, but then come together in the evening.

It really is up to you. If have more leeway with the budget, you will be more relaxed and flexible about the choices you make each day; if not, you plan for the low budget choices. You will meet great people either way and have a great Camino experience

Hello everyone, I have returned to idea about Camino de Santiago! :)
I was planing to walk few years ago and everything stopped because of personal reasons.
I planed everything from A-Z, had all the necessary equipment but I had to postpone my trip.

So with a lot of happiness I can say that I am back and strongly consider doing it this time.
Everything have changed for me, I was planing to walk it alone as I was single but now everything has changed and I'm planing to walk it with my lovely wife :)

I haven't followed any news about Camino de Santiago and probably thinks have changed now :)
I have mainly one question I would like to be answered - Would 1000 eur budget be enough for 30 days for both of us? It's mainly for food and albergue's!

Thank you in advance!
Buen camino!
Anything is possible. My wife and I didn't use them, but I have heard there are places along the way that accept donations and allow free overnights for travelers. It all depends on your wants and needs. We found it was around twenty to thirty euros a night for a bed, that's for both of us. Sometimes we got private rooms, that's where the thirty comes from. A full menu del dia was around eight to ten euros and coffee, snacks one to three euros. So it is a tight budget, but with careful planning and depending on your comfort level anything is possible.

..., but I have heard there are places along the way that accept donations and allow free overnights for travelers. ...

Sorry but donations doesn't equal free! It means that every pilgrim gives as much or as little they can afford. Buen Camino, SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In the summer of 2015 we came across a pilgrim who made it halfway across the CF on a budget of 15 euros so I think you could do it. I do think that you should have a reserve beyond the 1000 euros for the unexpected. We would buy ham, cheese and a loaf of bread and get lunch for two out of it for two days.

hi Don - you are a veteran pilgrim (and a nice chap too) but one doesn't have to have that morning coffee in a cafe, nor buy a boccadillo, nor buy the pilgrim meal you know - that is a lifestyle choice, not a necessity .. they can feed themselves and keep the budget really low.

Very, very true David and I second Sybilla's comments. I was only citing an oft quoted daily budget many pilgrims use. My lifestyle choice tends to be more around 50 euros/day.
I do however believe there can be a false economy about cooking evening meals and living day to day on food purchased from local sources.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thank you everyone for your great answers, it helps a lot to me!
In summary I understood that I will need more than 1000eur because I'm sure that not every day we will want to cook our selves and time to time we will just want to relax :)
Also good point about unexpected expenses because you never know what can happen or if we don't finish in 30 days because I actually don't want to have a deadline and that's one of the reasons why we will buy only one way ticket because who know how long we will decide to walk it or stay after the camino.

Unfortunately the kitchen gear available on many albergues that supposedly offer cooking facilities leaves much to be desired ....

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back