• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino de Santiago via Camino Frances in December

AlixIsa

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances in December
Hello!!
I'm planning on walking the Camino during the two last weeks of december in order to arrive for the new year in Santiago de Compostela, this year. I will be starting from San Sebastian and was thinking about taking the Camino Frances seeing as the majority of the people recommend this during the winter rather than the northern route!

My main questions are:
1. Will it be hard for me to find accommodation during the holiday season?
2. Is the camino Frances the best way to go?
3. Will the weather/cold be surmountable?

I'm going to take my time during this Camino and not bother too much about how many hours/km I have done in total! I know that if I walk the correct distances I can be in Santiago de Compostela within 6 days - however this is not my objective!

I would be happy to hear any suggestions beyong my three main questions!! Any information about this entire experience would be very welcome and appreciated!!

Thank you in advance!!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Albergues in small villages will be closed. Accommodations that are open will not be busy. Call ahead; hospitaleros do not sit around waiting, and may take spontaneous vacations and trips.

The Camino Frances has the best infrastructure. The other caminos will only have municipal albergues and hostales. Pensiones will be a mix of open and closed.

The weather will be unpredictable. It can rain, snow, be warm in places, or arctic. Albergues are reluctant to turn on the heat, so expect to sleep in cold conditions.

Getting from San Sebastian to the Camino Frances may be difficult if you are walking. It can snow a lot in the mountains.

Albergues in small villages will be closed. Accommodations that are open will not be busy. Call ahead; hospitaleros do not sit around waiting, and may take spontaneous vacations and trips.

The Camino Frances has the best infrastructure. The other caminos will only have municipal albergues and hostales. Pensiones will be a mix of open and closed.

The weather will be unpredictable. It can rain, snow, be warm in places, or arctic. Albergues are reluctant to turn on the heat, so expect to sleep in cold conditions.

Getting from San Sebastian to the Camino Frances may be difficult if you are walking. It can snow a lot in the mountains.

Thank you for that!!
I was thinking about taking a bus to pamplona and start from there!
Do you think 2 weeks would be enough?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you for that!!
I was thinking about taking a bus to pamplona and start from there!
Do you think 2 weeks would be enough?
Two weeks will not be enough if you want to walk to Santiago. I suggest you use this site https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...FjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw0qCKYmjj5om9X1uFq6oGIv to plan your stages to start at a place that will allow you to reach Santiago in the time that you have. Be sure to build in a couple of days for rest, illness, injury or bad weather. Astorga would be a possibility.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hello!!
I'm planning on walking the Camino during the two last weeks of december in order to arrive for the new year in Santiago de Compostela, this year. I will be starting from San Sebastian and was thinking about taking the Camino Frances seeing as the majority of the people recommend this during the winter rather than the northern route!

My main questions are:

I'm going to take my time during this Camino and not bother too much about how many hours/km I have done in total! I know that if I walk the correct distances I can be in Santiago de Compostela within 6 days - however this is not my objective!

I would be happy to hear any suggestions beyong my three main questions!! Any information about this entire experience would be very welcome and appreciated!!

Thank you in advance!!!!

No problem if you use the following webpage: www.aprinca.com

I walked from Burgos to Sarria this past December 26 - January 8 believe. We were lucky with the weather only having snow the morning leaving O Cebreiro. We even had 14c in Astorga.

I would say so unless you want to be alone then suggest the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla.

No one knows from one year to the next. The weeks after I walked there was lots of snow.

Walking year end is very special. I arrived in Santiago one year on the 31st. The Pilgrim's Office was already closed so we were invited into the Sacristía of the Cathedral where we were given our Compostela. There were fireworks on New Years in front of the Cathedral, something quite special.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Are you still planning your walk? I may go Sarria to SDC between 23 and 31 Dec.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back