• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

camino De Santiago with 3 year old

Tamika Thamby

Time of past OR future Camino
planning to walk it June/july 2017
Im a single mum thinking about doing the Camino de Santiago with my 3 year old daughter (just us two) in June/july 2017. I'm prepared to take it slower then the average pilgrim and take longer to do it in total!
Am I totally crazy? any tips/ advice?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
No you're not crazy anything is possible, last year I meet a couple who walked with their 3 year old.
The only problem I can see is carrying al, the gear for two of you, but there are transport companies that will transfer your luggage for you.
I'm sure more experienced pilgrims will offer more advice on how you can achieve this.

Last edited:
You are not crazy @Tamika Thamby, but it does take some planning and forethought. There are many others who have walked with children and had a wonderful time. Search "children" and you will find much information. This documentary film "Walking the Camino: Six Ways to Santiago" documents the journey including that of a woman and her toddler in a stroller.

There have been a few delightful threads and video's - here is a particularly good account (with a link to the blog) : https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...y-nov-2015-with-a-2-yr-old.38755/#post-421941

With a 3 or 4 year old (and I have 3 year old twin grand-daughters) I would be thinking carefully about what to do when 12 kilometres until the next village or town and it is (a) really, really hot and without shade or (b) pouring with rain, with thunder and lightening and very muddy. Which happens.

There are helpful pilgrims who will also be walking with you, and smartphones and taxis and luggage carrying services and private accommodation - all of which will support your camino - but of course, apart from fellow pilgrims, that does involve extra cost.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I did the last 100 km in September with my four year old grandson and his father. Fortunately, the father was capable of carrying a 65 pound load on his shoulders! For the first three days, the boy walked about 70% of the time with his 5 pound pack (a good quality pack with the load being mostly the iPad and water bladder). Then the percentage began to decrease.

We found staying in albergues was too much of a burden on the other pilgrims, so we stayed in private accommodations after the first two days. Hotels were fully booked in many villages, so we had to adjust with taxi shuttles out and back to the Camino. It will be worse in June, July, and August.

There is little to interest a toddler, so the Camino became a search for the next children's playground. There are plenty. The daily pace is slowed by the playground stops, so plan accordingly. Your walk will be centered around your child, not yourself, other pilgrims, the Camino, the food, the history, or the religion.

For a three year old, a stroller is probably a good idea. Our backup plan was to buy one if necessary. There are stretches where a stroller will have a hard time going, so it should be a durable one, and you will need to be capable of pushing it while carrying your own pack.

About all that my grandson remembers of Spain is that "they speak Spanish there," but he had a good time while he was there. My son and I loved it, but then we were able to share the burden of taking a child. I think you should contemplate what is in it for you, what is in it for the toddler, and the real reasons you want to do it. It is absolutely certain that it won't be an experience like most the one for most pilgrims!!! If it is your first camino, you will want to mentally prepare for the stress of a new experience for both yourself and the child. It will be demanding both physically and mentally. You can train for the physical, but the mental will depend upon your personal resources. Whatever negative happens to you, it will be doubly negative for the child...

In 2001, I met a young woman walking with a 7 month old baby. She drove from Roncesvalles to Sarria staying at albergues along the way then walked from Sarria to Santiago. We all loved baby Sana. However, whenever the baby was in the room we all slept lightly. Every time baby Sana sighed, stirred, or cried, adults awoke a bit. The protect the young response is hard wired, automatic. So, after a bit baby Sana and her mom found the remostest sleeping spot in albergue so we all could get some rest.

Im a single mum thinking about doing the Camino de Santiago with my 3 year old daughter (just us two) in June/july 2017. I'm prepared to take it slower then the average pilgrim and take longer to do it in total!
Hello TT,

Please be careful to keep hydrated during these warmer months.

You might want to think about travelling the CF in stages, be open to maybe trying a short section this time and see how you go.

The woman in the very interesting documentary that Kanga mentioned had an adult brother to help her during most of her Camino. He was a very gentle soul, younger than her, who seemed much loved by her little boy.

You're not crazy, you're a seeker and an adventurer. Later on your daughter will admire your spirit and discover it in herself also.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Did not see any children when walking in 2016, but saw them in 2014. Most impressive was the woman from Norway pushing a buggy with two small kids while walking with her blind husband--they were an inspiration to all of us. Saw several young women about 20--carrying babies under 6 months alo along with a supplies for the babies. Also saw the "famous" Canadian musician (about 60) who did nothing at all except smoke and drink while his young Girl Friend waited on him hand and foot while carrying and caring for their young baby.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi, I carried my 22 month old in May 1999 in a baby carrier with 2 sports bags attached. I modified the whole setup including a rain/sun canopy. I wasn't the fittest out there but managed to do it. I found that I did segments in no more than 2 hours at a time with a longer than normal rest stop especially if there was a playground. I would suggest a 3 wheel double buggy like a phil and teds type would give you the best chance. You can push some of your extra gear in it. There is a lot more readily available information now so figuring out each days journey and the terrain is possible. Maybe some slight deviations is possible a bit like some of the cyclists have to do.
There was no problems with boredom but a 3 year old doesn't sleep as much during the day as a 22 month old. If you are already doing long day walks with her you will know some of her limits. The problem is that if you don't do it soon I think it could be harder when she is older.
As far as the hostels go a young child doesn't keep everyone awake as much as a lot of snorers do. you will probably have to mix up your accommodation.
Best thing to do is do some long day and overnight walks and see how you go.
Good Luck

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back