Camino Guides (for sale) | Camino Guides made by pilgrims
By Signing up to the forum (free) you will be able to:

-- Ask any Camino related question you might have
-- Participate in the camino conversation on this forum
-- Get an weekly e-mail (Saturdays) with the most popular topics from the last 7 days
-- Be able to download pdf's and other Camino Resources
Sign

Weekly forum email Daily forum email Luggage Storage in Santiago de Compostela
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Using iphone or iPad? Add forum icon to your home screen. Here is how to do it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Over 10 years of Camino Q&As in one place. Sign Up and plan your camino with us. It's free!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have a question you would like to ask? Here is how you do it!

Camino del Baztan Thriller

Discussion in 'Camino Baztan' started by andonius, Apr 24, 2015.

1. andonius

andonius New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    2010- Frances; 2011-Frances and Ingles; 2012- Frances and Portugues; 2013- Frances and Primitivo; 2014- Frances and Camino del Norte 2015- Frances, Aragones and Ingles 2016- Portugues
    For those of you who like reading fast-action books (and the Camino, of course), I'll recommend a novel that has been recently published in English after a BIG success in Spain.
    It's called "The invisible Guardian", written by Dolores Redondo. you can find it at Amazon at this link:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field&tag=camiforu-20 keywords=the+invisible+guardian

It's not a book about the Camino , but the action takes place in the valley of Baztan, and it will give you a good view of the valley, its people and its miths and superstitions.
    In fact the book is the first part of a trilogy that has been already published in Spanish and it's a real hit in Spain.
    After reading it I'm seriously planning to do the Camino del Baztan this year. I only hope I will not have to walk in its forests at night.... (if you read the book you'll know why).

2. p3nny

p3nny New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    September 2013, June (2015)

Is there an English version for the Kindle?
    ~Penny

3. SYates

SYates Camino Fossil AD 1999 Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Francés 1999
    too many to list all
    Prague>Santiago 2014
    Via Regia/Ecumenical Pilgrims Way Germany Spring/Easter 2015
    Via de la Plata Feb/March 2016
    Via Regia/Ecumenical Pilgrims Way June&November 2016

Just back from: Walking the CF in winter 2016/17
  4. Robo

Robo Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    CF SJPdP to SdC
    (May 2015)
    Alone.
    ------------------------------
    CF Sarria to SdC
    (May 2016)
    with my wife Pat.
    CF SJPDP-SdC
    (Apr/May 2018)
    together again :-)
    Just read it in one sitting :) Thanks for the recommendation.
    Available in English for Kindle.

SabineP and timr like this.
  5. timr

timr Active Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Burgos-Santiago (2009) Lourdes-Burgos (2009) Logrono-Rabanal (2014) Leon-Santiago (May 2015) Norte (August 2015) Primitivo (May 2016) Baztan (October 2016) Porto-SdC (November 2016)
    I read this too and loved it, and it was (part of) my reason for walking the Baztan route this year. The second volume has been translated and came out towards the end of the year. I read it the day it came out on Kindle. She describes the area with great affection, and although the book is a "serial killer story" it is vastly more than that, providing an interesting take on Basque culture and mythology. Not to mention the cookery!
    There are NOT, I am happy to say, "Dolores Redondo" tours of the region! Yet.
    The books though have been a publishing phenomenon across the continent. Her latest book was filling the bookshop windows in Santiago when I was there in November.

SabineP and NualaOC like this.
  6. Robo

Camino(s) past & future:
    CF SJPdP to SdC
    (May 2015)
    Alone.
    CF Sarria to SdC
    (May 2016)
    with my wife Pat.
    CF SJPDP-SdC
    (Apr/May 2018)
    Now I have to buy the second one :oops:

timr likes this.
  7. timr

Camino(s) past & future:
    Burgos-Santiago (2009) Lourdes-Burgos (2009) Logrono-Rabanal (2014) Leon-Santiago (May 2015) Norte (August 2015) Primitivo (May 2016) Baztan (October 2016) Porto-SdC (November 2016)
    You do, really! A new year present to self.
    And you will be waiting anxiously for the third.
    I talked about it with one of the only three pilgrims I met on the Baztan route - a young Basque man - who was reading it (in Spanish) as he walked. And he loved it too. He said a Spanish film (or TV series) is being made.

8. Robo

Camino(s) past & future:
    CF SJPdP to SdC
    (May 2015)
    Alone.
    CF Sarria to SdC
    (May 2016)
    with my wife Pat.
    CF SJPDP-SdC
    (Apr/May 2018)
    Already have it. Isn't Kindle useful :) I'll keep it for next weekend....

timr likes this.
  9. timr

Camino(s) past & future:
  10. peregrina2000

peregrina2000 Moderator Staff Member Donating Member Donating Member

Hi, timr,
    I have just started the book and am enjoying it, even though I cannot remember the last murder mystery I read. But, sorry to say, there ARE Dolores Redondo tours!

http://cuentatelavida.blogspot.com/2014/08/visita-guiada-elizondo-los-escenarios.html

https://www.tripadvisor.es/Attracti..._Baztan_Visitas_Guiadas-Elizondo_Navarra.html

Maybe our little group of Baztan pilgrims will have to stop in Elizondo for a guided walking tour this May!

timr and NualaOC like this.
  11. peregrina2000

Does anyone know how to pronounce basajaun in Basque?

How about txantxigorris? (and more importantly, has anyone eaten them?). I assumed all through the book that they were sweets, but wikipedia describes something with pork.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chanchigorri_cake

12. amancio

amancio Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Francés, Primitivo, Salvador, Portugués from Porto, Aragonés, Inglés, VdlP to Salamanca, Lebaniego-Vadiniense, Fisterra
    Well, the best news is you are only one third of the way! Still a lot more to come, thoroughly enjoyable reading (in Spanish, in my case)

By this I mean, there are two more books to come, the beginning of the second book took a bit longer to catch, but then it was fabulous too.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    timr likes this.
  13. timr

Camino(s) past & future:
    For those of us who cannot manage the books in Spanish, I see that number three, Offering to the Storm, is due for publication in translation on 24th August this year.

14. NualaOC

NualaOC Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Francés: 2013,14 & 15 (in 3 stages)
    Inglés: (A Coruña to Muxia) 2015
    Baztanés: 2016 & 2017
    Primitivo: 2016
    Norte: 2017 & 18 (in 3 stages)
    I finally read The Invisible Guardian - and although I never read crime novels, I couldn't put it down! I really enjoyed the references to some of the places on or near this Camino.

@timr, I looked at your link again as the book left me with a big burning question...... but not about bears, basajauns or those tricky basque pronunciations. I REALLY wanted to know about that special bakery in Elizondo that makes its own chocolate with hazelnuts! I was delighted to learn from that link that this magical place really does exist - La Cocolatería Malkorra on Calle Santiago. Definitely worth a coffee stop!

peregrina2000 and SabineP like this.
  15. timr

Camino(s) past & future:
    @NualaOC Yes! It was early on Sunday morning when I passed through, sleepy time, and I missed it, but a little bit further on as you begin to leave the town I found this and it was open at 10:20am. Well now I will have to go back definitely! With more careful notes..... But I have to say this place was wonderful too!!
    PA090154.jpg

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    NualaOC likes this.
  16. peregrina2000

So what do you think happened to the second book? Kind of unusual to translate the third in the series before the second. I don't usually read fiction in Spanish (not sure why it's so much less comfortable than news or documents, etc, but it is, for me anyway), but I do want to read them in order!

17. NualaOC

NualaOC Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Francés: 2013,14 & 15 (in 3 stages)
    Inglés: (A Coruña to Muxia) 2015
    Baztanés: 2016 & 2017
    Primitivo: 2016
    Norte: 2017 & 18 (in 3 stages)
    Hi Laurie, the second book is definitely available in English - I have it on my kindle. It's also in paperback on Amazon.

peregrina2000 and timr like this.
  18. timr

Camino(s) past & future:
    @peregrina2000
    Yes Laurie, the second one The Legacy of the Bones came out on 25 August last year. I saw it sneak on to my Kindle at midnight and started reading it immediately! Waiting for next August for the final one. Meanwhile I am learning Spanish seriously at the moment, but don't think I am up to reading a novel for pleasure in Spanish. Yet:(. The books seem to have been a phenomenal success all over Europe, and as I mentioned elsewhere her latest novel, Todo esto te daré (not in the series), was 'everywhere' in bookshops when I was in Spain in November. It won the Spanish Premio Planeta in 2016, which I see, if wikipedia is to be believed, is worth €601,000.

peregrina2000 likes this.
  19. peregrina2000

Maybe Dolores Redondo is a camino-wannabe, because the newest book takes place on the Invierno!

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/invierno-thriller.46382/

NualaOC likes this.
  20. Kiwi-family

Kiwi-family Veteran Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Astorga to Santiago (2012); Baztan, Voie de la Nive, Frances to Leon, Salvador, Primitivo, Fisterra and back (2014); Oxfam Trailwalkers NZ (2015); Portuguese from Porto (June 2015); Via de la Plata/Sanabres (May/June 2016)
    Ah the wonderful dreadful forest (where we got lost - just as well I hadn't read the book methinks)
    And the wonderful chocolate which we saved all the way to Pamplona to share with family that we met there.
    IMG_0915.JPG IMG_0916.JPG IMG_0918.JPG IMG_0922.JPG IMG_0932.JPG Camino 2014 2014-05-09 008.JPG Camino 2014 2014-05-11 010.JPG Camino 2014 2014-05-10 013.JPG

NualaOC and peregrina2000 like this.