• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del Baztan Thriller

andonius

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Ingles, Portugues, Norte, Primitivo, Aragones, Baztan, Sanabres, Finisterre
For those of you who like reading fast-action books (and the Camino, of course), I'll recommend a novel that has been recently published in English after a BIG success in Spain.
It's called "The invisible Guardian", written by Dolores Redondo. you can find it at Amazon at this link:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?tag=casaivar02-20 keywords=the+invisible+guardian

It's not a book about the Camino , but the action takes place in the valley of Baztan, and it will give you a good view of the valley, its people and its miths and superstitions.
In fact the book is the first part of a trilogy that has been already published in Spanish and it's a real hit in Spain.
After reading it I'm seriously planning to do the Camino del Baztan this year. I only hope I will not have to walk in its forests at night.... (if you read the book you'll know why).

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
For those of you who like reading fast-action books (and the Camino, of course), I'll recommend a novel that has been recently published in English after a BIG success in Spain.
It's called "The invisible Guardian", written by Dolores Redondo. you can find it at Amazon at this link:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field&tag=camiforu-20 keywords=the+invisible+guardian

It's not a book about the Camino , but the action takes place in the valley of Baztan, and it will give you a good view of the valley, its people and its miths and superstitions.
In fact the book is the first part of a trilogy that has been already published in Spanish and it's a real hit in Spain.
After reading it I'm seriously planning to do the Camino del Baztan this year. I only hope I will not have to walk in its forests at night.... (if you read the book you'll know why).

Is there an English version for the Kindle?
~Penny

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field&tag=camiforu-20 keywords=the+invisible+guardian

Just read it in one sitting :) Thanks for the recommendation.
Available in English for Kindle.

Just read it in one sitting :) Thanks for the recommendation.
Available in English for Kindle.
I read this too and loved it, and it was (part of) my reason for walking the Baztan route this year. The second volume has been translated and came out towards the end of the year. I read it the day it came out on Kindle. She describes the area with great affection, and although the book is a "serial killer story" it is vastly more than that, providing an interesting take on Basque culture and mythology. Not to mention the cookery!
There are NOT, I am happy to say, "Dolores Redondo" tours of the region! Yet.
The books though have been a publishing phenomenon across the continent. Her latest book was filling the bookshop windows in Santiago when I was there in November.

I read this too and loved it, and it was (part of) my reason for walking the Baztan route this year. The second volume has been translated and came out towards the end of the year. I read it the day it came out on Kindle. She describes the area with great affection, and although the book is a "serial killer story" it is vastly more than that, providing an interesting take on Basque culture and mythology. Not to mention the cookery!
The books though have been a publishing phenomenon across the continent. Her latest book was filling the bookshop windows in Santiago when I was there in November.

Now I have to buy the second one :oops:

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Now I have to buy the second one :oops:
You do, really! A new year present to self.
And you will be waiting anxiously for the third.
I talked about it with one of the only three pilgrims I met on the Baztan route - a young Basque man - who was reading it (in Spanish) as he walked. And he loved it too. He said a Spanish film (or TV series) is being made.

You do, really! A new year present to self.
And you will be waiting anxiously for the third.
I talked about it with one of the only three pilgrims I met on the Baztan route - a young Basque man - who was reading it (in Spanish) as he walked. And he loved it too. He said a Spanish film (or TV series) is being made.

Already have it. Isn't Kindle useful :) I'll keep it for next weekend....

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Hi, timr,
I have just started the book and am enjoying it, even though I cannot remember the last murder mystery I read. But, sorry to say, there ARE Dolores Redondo tours!

http://cuentatelavida.blogspot.com/2014/08/visita-guiada-elizondo-los-escenarios.html

https://www.tripadvisor.es/Attracti..._Baztan_Visitas_Guiadas-Elizondo_Navarra.html

Maybe our little group of Baztan pilgrims will have to stop in Elizondo for a guided walking tour this May!

Well, the best news is you are only one third of the way! Still a lot more to come, thoroughly enjoyable reading (in Spanish, in my case)

By this I mean, there are two more books to come, the beginning of the second book took a bit longer to catch, but then it was fabulous too.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
For those of us who cannot manage the books in Spanish, I see that number three, Offering to the Storm, is due for publication in translation on 24th August this year.

I finally read The Invisible Guardian - and although I never read crime novels, I couldn't put it down! I really enjoyed the references to some of the places on or near this Camino.

@timr, I looked at your link again as the book left me with a big burning question...... but not about bears, basajauns or those tricky basque pronunciations. I REALLY wanted to know about that special bakery in Elizondo that makes its own chocolate with hazelnuts! I was delighted to learn from that link that this magical place really does exist - La Cocolatería Malkorra on Calle Santiago. Definitely worth a coffee stop!

@NualaOC Yes! It was early on Sunday morning when I passed through, sleepy time, and I missed it, but a little bit further on as you begin to leave the town I found this and it was open at 10:20am. Well now I will have to go back definitely! With more careful notes..... But I have to say this place was wonderful too!!
PA090154.jpg

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For those of us who cannot manage the books in Spanish, I see that number three, Offering to the Storm, is due for publication in translation on 24th August this year.
So what do you think happened to the second book? Kind of unusual to translate the third in the series before the second. I don't usually read fiction in Spanish (not sure why it's so much less comfortable than news or documents, etc, but it is, for me anyway), but I do want to read them in order!

So what do you think happened to the second book? Kind of unusual to translate the third in the series before the second. I don't usually read fiction in Spanish (not sure why it's so much less comfortable than news or documents, etc, but it is, for me anyway), but I do want to read them in order!

Hi Laurie, the second book is definitely available in English - I have it on my kindle. It's also in paperback on Amazon.

@peregrina2000
Yes Laurie, the second one The Legacy of the Bones came out on 25 August last year. I saw it sneak on to my Kindle at midnight and started reading it immediately! Waiting for next August for the final one. Meanwhile I am learning Spanish seriously at the moment, but don't think I am up to reading a novel for pleasure in Spanish. Yet:(. The books seem to have been a phenomenal success all over Europe, and as I mentioned elsewhere her latest novel, Todo esto te daré (not in the series), was 'everywhere' in bookshops when I was in Spain in November. It won the Spanish Premio Planeta in 2016, which I see, if wikipedia is to be believed, is worth €601,000.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@peregrina2000
Yes Laurie, the second one The Legacy of the Bones came out on 25 August last year. I saw it sneak on to my Kindle at midnight and started reading it immediately! Waiting for next August for the final one. Meanwhile I am learning Spanish seriously at the moment, but don't think I am up to reading a novel for pleasure in Spanish. Yet:(. The books seem to have been a phenomenal success all over Europe, and as I mentioned elsewhere her latest novel, Todo esto te daré (not in the series), was 'everywhere' in bookshops when I was in Spain in November. It won the Spanish Premio Planeta in 2016, which I see, if wikipedia is to be believed, is worth €601,000.

Maybe Dolores Redondo is a camino-wannabe, because the newest book takes place on the Invierno!

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/invierno-thriller.46382/

Ah the wonderful dreadful forest (where we got lost - just as well I hadn't read the book methinks)
And the wonderful chocolate which we saved all the way to Pamplona to share with family that we met there.
IMG_0915.JPG IMG_0916.JPG IMG_0918.JPG IMG_0922.JPG IMG_0932.JPG Camino 2014 2014-05-09 008.JPG Camino 2014 2014-05-11 010.JPG Camino 2014 2014-05-10 013.JPG

Off to Book Depository again.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
FINALLY I am getting around to reading the rest of the Baztán Trilogy. Legacy of the Bones has the same mix of Navarra/Pamplona/Baztán places and Basque mythology.

And for those on the Francés, if you are looking for a splurge in Pamplona, this place seems like foodie heaven. http://restauranterodero.com/. Inspector Amaia noted in the book that it has a Michelin star, and I can confirm that the star continues for 2018! http://www.bonviveur.es/noticias/los-restaurantes-de-navarra-con-estrellas-michelin-2018

Thanks for adding to this thread Laurie.
I hadn’t noticed it before. Looks like some reading for those quiet January 2019 days ahead.
I’m now off to order them - the books have got good recommendations on this forum .
Annie

Edit :
Looks like paperback (English )editions are not easy to get online just now (I’m in Australia)
I’ll wait until next year I think.
Ps. The No2 was available on Amazon dot com, but I found the shipping charges doubled the cost.
I’ve previously purchased books thru UK - ‘ book depository ‘ who don’t charge shipping worldwide- But they are not available there.

Last edited:
Thanks for adding to this thread Laurie.
I hadn’t noticed it before. Looks like some reading for those quiet January 2019 days ahead.
I’m now off to order them - the books have got good recommendations on this forum .
Annie

Edit :
Looks like paperback (English )editions are not easy to get online just now (I’m in Australia)
I’ll wait until next year I think.
Ps. The No2 was available on Amazon dot com, but I found the shipping charges doubled the cost.
I’ve previously purchased books thru UK - ‘ book depository ‘ who don’t charge shipping worldwide- But they are not available there.

Well, I have just finished the third installment and liked the books very much. And I am not a mystery reader. It is true that a part of my enjoyment came from the re-creation of the forests we walked through, but I think all in all if you like folklore, don’t mind being creeped out, and enjoy reading about women bosses who have to deal with jerky male subordinates and daughter-mother conflicts, you will like these books. Highly recommended to read all three in one go, because I read the Invisible Guardian a year ago and had to go back to it several times to get myself oriented for the other two books.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for the reminder Preregrina2000. Having walked the Baztan last September I might try reading this set of books. I think they'll have far more meaning now.

Thanks for the reminder Preregrina2000. Having walked the Baztan last September I might try reading this set of books. I think they'll have far more meaning now.
The descriptions of Elizondo will resonate, but most of all, it’s that forest!!! Redondo paints it so perfectly. I remember when @Nuala and I were walking alone, having taken a slight alternative to the other three, when all of a sudden, I saw what turned out to be @VNwalking, her brown robes kind of flowing between the trees — had I read the book earlier, I would have been convinced it was the Basajuan!
https://es.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basajaun

The descriptions of Elizondo will resonate, but most of all, it’s that forest!!! Redondo paints it so perfectly. I remember when @Nuala and I were walking alone, having taken a slight alternative to the other three, when all of a sudden, I saw what turned out to be @VNwalking, her brown robes kind of flowing between the trees — had I read the book earlier, I would have been convinced it was the Basajuan!
https://es.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basajaun

Such a happy memory! It still amazes me how we all ‘accidentally’ met up at the exact point where the two trails merged. One of my favourite walking days of any Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
20180923_110831.jpg20180924_110406.jpg

Walking the Baztan and in particular the climb up through the forest was amazing.

Thanks for the recommendations.
I have recently read the Baztan trilogy in one go,I just couldn't put the books down,absolutely rivetting.
I followed that up with another book by Dolores Redondo,All This I Give To You,based in Galicia and another great read.
To top it off I have just watched the dvd El Guardian Invisible and,although my Spanish is abysmal,I managed to follow it reasonably well.

Thanks for the recommendations.
I have recently read the Baztan trilogy in one go,I just couldn't put the books down,absolutely rivetting.
I followed that up with another book by Dolores Redondo,All This I Give To You,based in Galicia and another great read.
To top it off I have just watched the dvd El Guardian Invisible and,although my Spanish is abysmal,I managed to follow it reasonably well.

Those who have walked the Camino de Invierno will recognize some of the places in All This I Give to You -- there's a chapter entitled "Belesar" with some great descriptions of the vineyards along the Miño, very evocative. Chantada and Monforte make brief appearances, too. Eagerly awaiting the next book!

Most read last week in this forum

Is there a festival happening? Accommodations are limited (the one albergue listed on Gronze seems to have a terrible rating and does not show up on Booking; their website delivers a "this page my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back