• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Del Norte 2014

Russell Martin Kenny

Volunteer work enquiry
Time of past OR future Camino
8 Times completed Camino Frances.
1 Time completed Via de la Plata (Sevilla to Santiago).
Camino Levante from Valencia to Toledo ( Did not complete because is was very ugly, boring and lonely) 2013
It is Booked :)
Friday 4th April i leave Leicester to London with National Express, then Eurolines from London to Paris, and then Paris to Irun in Spain, then the 825 km / 500 miles to 'Santiago' walking, What better way to start a Saturday morning than with a walk ?
Just obtaining the credential is a bit worrying, someone posted that the Cathederal is shut and the tourist info have none....i had exactly the same problem in Sevilla when i walked the Via de la Plata..i could not find a credential anywhere and had to leave without one...a bit stressed about it to be honest.
But it will work out ok in the end.

Attachments

• dDY9oXKQVekmLVXNIqRbDMExlLKXTzARBfW8SAkPMOZJwXfgWojtTg==.jpg
    dDY9oXKQVekmLVXNIqRbDMExlLKXTzARBfW8SAkPMOZJwXfgWojtTg==.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 19
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Friday 4th April i leave Leicester to London with National Express, then Eurolines from London to Paris, and then Paris to Irun in Spain, then the 825 km / 500 miles to 'Santiago' walking, What better way to start a Saturday morning than with a walk ?
Just obtaining the credential is a bit worrying, someone posted that the Cathederal is shut and the tourist info have none....i had exactly the same problem in Sevilla when i walked the Via de la Plata..i could not find a credential anywhere and had to leave without one...a bit stressed about it to be honest.

The Albergue in Irun will have Credentials. It opens April 1st.

Ultreya,
Joe

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Here are my diary notes from Irun, August 30,2013 ...

Together we found the Albergue de Peregrinos only to discover it does not open until 4PM. ("We have to clean up sometime.") Now, this is how the Camino works. Jack and Joe say they need to get a pilgrim passport. There is a sign on the Albergue door in five languages that says one can get passports until 12:30 PM at the Passionistas Church on Estación street. Jack says, "I think we were just at that church, but it was called San Gabriel. And, it's closed." I say,"Lets try again, maybe there is a side door." So we return to the Church, which apparently goes by both names, although "it's really not a church," according to one local. Both the main door and side door are closed. Just then I see a priest getting into a car and ask him when the church is open. He sees that we are pilgrims and explains that we have to ring a bell on a side building. We do. A few minutes later another priest opens the side building door, issues passports to Jack and Joe, and stamps my American issued pilgrim passport, which is no way as pretty as the Spanish one. Next year I'm getting a Spanish pilgrim passport. Last year I had a French issued edition which is not even as nice as the American one much less the Spanish one.
For example, the Spanish passport has a beautiful map of the Camino with small engravings of the churches in major cities. Also, there is this poem ...

"La puerta se abre a todos, enfermos y sanos, no sólo Catholicos sino aún a paganos, a judíos, herejes, ociosos y vanos, y más brevemente a buenos y profanos." Poema de Siglo XIII.

Roughly translated ...
The door is open to all , sick and healthy , not only to Catholics but even to the heathen, Jews, heretics, the idle and vain, and more briefly to the good and profane .

Good morning
I walked the Camino Frances (SJPdP to SdC) last August/September (2013) and plan to do the Camino del Norte (Irun to SdC) next April (2015). Since I think that you are currently on the Camino del Norte, I would be VERY interested in your experiences/recommendations. Hope that you are having a GREAT camino.
Buen Camino/Ultreia!
Justdavid

We got ours in san sebastian a couple of days ago from a volunteer group! It was a couple of old ladies down the stairs of an old building only found buy the mark of the yellow shell. We went to tourist info office to find this out do maybe try there in Irun!! We start our Camino tomorrow morning!!
Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello,

I walked the Camino Frances in July-August in last year. This year, 25th of July I'm going to start walking from Irun. I'll combinate Camino del Norte + Primitivo to arrive in Santiago.
On the Frency way, it was impossible to go wrong way. As far as I know, the waymarkings are not so good on norte and primitivo ways than they were on French way.
Somebody ,who already walked the Norte and Primitivo ways, could pls inform me about waymarkings?
Thank you in advance!

Tibor

Hello,

I walked the Camino Frances in July-August in last year. This year, 25th of July I'm going to start walking from Irun. I'll combinate Camino del Norte + Primitivo to arrive in Santiago.
On the Frency way, it was impossible to go wrong way. As far as I know, the waymarkings are not so good on norte and primitivo ways than they were on French way.
Somebody ,who already walked the Norte and Primitivo ways, could pls inform me about waymarkings?
Thank you in advance!

Tibor

Waymarkings are good on both these routes. The Norte does have a number of alternate routes and intersects often with the E-9.

Thank you for info. I have just bought a camino book named The northern Camino. I read that there are some stage where the waymarking are not so good.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Karczt:

I saw many people with this guide book. They were very happy with it.

Comfort with way-markings is a relative thing. In my opinion, the route is well marked. Someone else might feel differently. I do not use a guide book. I look at the Gronze site and get a sense each day of direction and towns/villages I should be seeing. If I sense the possibility of a wrong turn, I stop at a farmhouse or home and ask. This only happened once on the way to Bollata. I was given directions and found my way back. I must have missed a marking because I passed a young German again that I had passed earlier. By the way, I do not Speak Spanish. One other time, I was walking along the coastal route after Ardin and did not see markings for a period but followed the E-9. This route crosses the Norte many times.

Sometimes you are in an alpha state or zone when walking and can walk by a marker. This is a great route if you like ocean views but it also has a lot of road walking. I just finished on April 29th and really enjoyed the walk. It is populated enough you will be assured of being with someone at night but not crowded like the Frances. If the road walking becomes an issue, you can switch to the Primitivo after Sabrayo.

Hope this was helpful.

Ultreya,
Joe

Thank you for info. I have just bought a camino book named The northern Camino. I read that there are some stage where the waymarking are not so good.
Is this the green book written by David here on the forum?
If so you have an EXCELLENT book...many people actually came up to me to look thru my book as they much preferred it over theirs. I just finished the Norte and felt it was marked very well...when I had doubts my book helped tons and did the locals. You are in for such a treat!

€149,-
Hi, I walked the Norte last spring and had no problems with way markings, finding a bed or getting water on the route. The yellow arrows are very clear, and any local will point you in the right direction if you are not sure. The hospitaleros in the alberges are usually very well informed about the next days options and can tell you where to stay and where to top up on water. Likewise with the tourist information, they are usually very willing to help and tell you of what your options for the next days walking are. The alberge in Irun has credenciales. The Norte is a very different route from the Frances, but just be open to what comes along and you will have a great time. Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello Joe! Thank you for information!
Where did you get your Credential? an albergue in Irun?

Karczt:

You can get a credential in the Albergue in Irun. I picked mine up in Santiago at the Pilgrim office in December. There are also several organizations that will mail you one, for a small donation, if you are not leaving too soon.

Joe

YES!!! Great book!!!
Shefollowsshells,since you have just finished the Norte(loved following your blog) .Do you think I need to take the CSJ guides as well as Dave's guide? I have them all and leave in a week! My pack is heavy.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Shefollowsshells,since you have just finished the Norte(loved following your blog) .Do you think I need to take the CSJ guides as well as Dave's guide? I have them all and leave in a week! My pack is heavy.
Thank you!!!! I puttered out on the blog running out if time, so excited you are getting to go next week.
I am not familiar with the CSJ guide, I used Dave's guide and based on things I had read here on the forum and pictures people took on Norte I wrote notes in the book. So there was a thread about favorite stops and I had those notes, things like " picture of rocky beach" etc... Were written in my book.
I also had the German guide, knowing little to know German but didn't need it...I used it to judge how long it would take to get from point to point time wise and it's maps showed some of the E9 route.
I would use the E9 link posted here last week and write in my book those routes.
In the next few days I promise a post of some info I wanted to share in one swoop.
Buen Camino!
Neve

Neve, eagerly awaiting your posts from here too! Looks like the del Norte is the walk for this year. Saving the Primitivo for a solo - maybe next year!! The Primitivo just didn't seem a fit for us as a couple. The Del Norte from Aviles onward looks like a perfect fit! OF course time will tell. But I am vey excited now. VERY!!

Thanks,Shefollowsshells.I also have made lots of notes in my Northern Camino's book. I think I will leave the CSJ 's at home.(2for Norte and 1 for Primitivo)
I am anxious about that first day to San Sebastian 27 kms .We are two ladies,65 and 66 hopefully we will be over our jetlag from our long flight from Australia. Is it as bad as they say or do you think the beauty of the views will help us along? Weird how the nerves are setting in although this will be my 7th Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am interested in finding out a bit more about the El Norte. Last year we drove along some of that route. I have been in Bilbao, Oviedo, Santillana del Mar and many of the other places along the way.
I read here that some of the route is on road. Would there be a lot of traffic passing you and lorries? I would prefer to not walk on roads because of saftey and the noise.
Also I would imagine the weather on this route would be less hot during the summer months. Is there a website link that actually shows the route and the places you pass through?
Also I have read that it costs that bit more to walk on this route - between albergues and food etc. How much would you need per day. I budgeted for 50eur a day on the stages we did on the camino frances and it allowed us to enjoy ourselves and have an extra coffee and eat out all the time.
Thanks

What about the fountain along the road? Are there many? on Frecnh way there are a lot it was easy to fill my flask up.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi guys & girls,

I am planning to do the Note as well this summer, either august or september. In another thread I came across this link (http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiago/caminos/guia-del-camino-del-norte#etapas_del_camino), which is a web guidebook, and also has a very informative pdf (http://www.gronze.com/documents/pdf/047cas.pdf) with a list of towns with its services on the route, and at what distance you'll find that town This might help answer quite a few of the questions I read above. Hope it helps!

PS And if anyone has good arguments for either August or September (crowdyness, weather, closed albuergues, any other?), please let me know!

Hello all. Walked the Northern/Primitivo Routes in the spring 2014. Looking to get contact info for 'Yasmin', from Australia with whom I walked the first 3 days . . . does anyone on the forum have contact info for her?

Thanks in advance.

:eek:) Peter.

I am interested in finding out a bit more about the El Norte. Last year we drove along some of that route. I have been in Bilbao, Oviedo, Santillana del Mar and many of the other places along the way.
I read here that some of the route is on road. Would there be a lot of traffic passing you and lorries? I would prefer to not walk on roads because of saftey and the noise.
Also I would imagine the weather on this route would be less hot during the summer months. Is there a website link that actually shows the route and the places you pass through?
Also I have read that it costs that bit more to walk on this route - between albergues and food etc. How much would you need per day. I budgeted for 50eur a day on the stages we did on the camino frances and it allowed us to enjoy ourselves and have an extra coffee and eat out all the time.
Thanks
Cost; have nothing to compare it to, but it was reasonable . . 50 euros/day is plenty
traffic : not busy (in May), more tarmac than I thought though . .
You'll enjoy the scenery and moderate solitude !!

Buen Camino !

€149,-
What about the fountain along the road? Are there many? on Frecnh way there are a lot it was easy to fill my flask up.

No problems with water Karczt.
Its a lovely walk, great towns , no big distances and every time you see the ocean walk down to the seaside villages and fill your bottle.
Every cafe , tabac allows you to fill , just ask and/or have a coffee.
If it rains like we received in Santander a few years ago you will get your quota of water.
Buen Caminio mate.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.