• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del Norte 2020 completed

Hector van der Walt

Time of past OR future Camino
During September & October 2017 I had the ‘calling’ to be a Henro on the Shikoku Pilgrimage in West Japan.

This year I was called to be a pilgrim on the Camino del Norte. I started at Irún on 26th August and I reached Muxía on 23rd September and Finsterre on 24th September.

During the journey I had 1 rest day each in San Sebastián and Bilbao. Before continuing to the End of the Earth, I had 2 rest days in Santiago.

I therefore had a total of 26 walking days of pure bliss and magic.

I experienced Camino del Norte as a total emersion into nature. It was a beautiful experience to walk through some of Spain’s most spectacular scenery.

There are many gorgeous beaches along the way and lovely pastural and mountain scenery to feast the senses.

Numerous villages, rural towns and glamorous cities such as San Sebastián - are a delight to explore.

The route was clean, mostly well signposted and I felt safe. I walked the entire route solo but I was never alone.

I only had one experience which unsettled me and it happend at around 07:15 the morning I was leaving Avilés. It was dark. I was accosted by a man who was eager to liberate a ring from my finger.

I was initially startled by his rapid approach and demands. I was however able to recover quickly. I told him off in a language I did not know I could speak. Fortunately there where no children around at that time.

Walking at this time of the year was fantastic as a solo walker. The weather was great and the change in the seasons visible and tangible.

For several days I saw no other pilgrims. At some lodgings I was the only guest.

Due to the lack of accommodation available, as a result of COVID matters, I was unable to ‘go with the flow’. After a week I realized it would be best to pre-book accommodation.

This did however mean I had many long stretches to cover. I unfortunately had to walk faster than I had intended - in order to reach pre-booked accommodation.

Camino del Norte is a powerful pilgrimage on many levels. Following in the footsteps of those that have gone ahead is humbling.

Thank you for reading.

Hector van der Walt

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
During September & October 2017 I had the ‘calling’ to be a Henro on the Shikoku Pilgrimage in West Japan.

This year I was called to be a pilgrim on the Camino del Norte. I started at Irún on 26th August and I reached Muxía on 23rd September and Finsterre on 24th September.

During the journey I had 1 rest day each in San Sebastián and Bilbao. Before continuing to the End of the Earth, I had 2 rest days in Santiago.

I experienced Camino del Norte as a total emersion into nature. It was a beautiful experience to walk through some of Spain’s most spectacular scenery.

There are many gorgeous beaches along the way and lovely pastural and mountain scenery to feast the senses.

Numerous villages, rural towns and glamorous cities such as San Sebastián - are a delight to explore.

The route was clean, mostly well signposted and I felt safe. I walked the entire route solo but I was never alone.

I only had one experience which unsettled me and it happend at around 07:15 the morning I was leaving Avilés. It was dark. I was accosted by a man who was eager to liberate a ring from my finger.

I was initially startled by his rapid approach and demands. I was however able to recover quickly. I told him off in a language I did not know I could speak. Fortunately there where no children around at that time.

Walking at this time of the year was fantastic as a solo walker. The weather was great and the change in the seasons visible and tangible.

For several days I saw no other pilgrims. At some lodgings I was the only guest.

Due to the lack of accommodation available, as a result of COVID matters, I was unable to ‘go with the flow’. After a week I realized it would be best to pre-book accommodation.

This did however mean I had many long stretches to cover. I unfortunately had to walk faster than I had intended - in order to reach pre-booked accommodation.

Camino del Norte is a powerful pilgrimage on many levels. Following in the footsteps of those that have gone ahead is humbling.

Thank you for reading.

Hector van der Walt
Congratulations Hector. Walking to Santiago and a loop around the end of the world in 26 is some serious walking.
You must have covered a lot of kilometers a day. It is a beautiful Camino. I walked it evento was 64
and it took a few more days than that😃. But that matters less than nothing. You described it perfectly. The sights and sounds are so special. Especially the sights of nature at it’s finest and the sounds that exude from those sights that are unencumbered by the sounds of man and civilization. Hope you had an ice cream when you were in San Sebastián at Gelateria Boulevard. The best ice cream anywhere!

Congratulations! Have you seen my friend (the goat with Mona Lisa smile)? I walked the entire Norte (a.k.a. Sheer Bliss) last year. I booked a flight twice and had to cancel it because U.S. citizens are not admitted to Spain this year. I am envious, but happy for you.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.

Thank you for reading.

Hector van der Walt
You timed it well, benefitting from the best of the weather and enjoying the route and all it has to offer. Congratulations on completing your goal.
Well done for standing up to the attempted robbery in Avilés, that must have been a tricky moment. Did you report it to at all? Any large town in the dark hours can be a cover for those trying to take advantage of a peaceful pilgrim, so being on your guard and willing to act is crucial. However, sometimes there could be unforeseen consequences, luckily for you your reaction probably alerted attention and the assailant ran away. I've been in that situation myself, so I can appreciate your reaction in that situation.

Last edited:
Congrats. I am glad to hear you survived being accosted, and that you still had a wonderful and successful Camino! That would be enough for me to end my Camino. I have never walked alone, and do not plan on doing so. Even with a partner, I never leave before first light. I am too worried about getting lost and it feels too risky to me.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Congratulations Hector. Walking to Santiago and a loop around the end of the world in 26 is some serious walking.
You must have covered a lot of kilometers a day. It is a beautiful Camino. I walked it evento was 64
and it took a few more days than that😃. But that matters less than nothing. You described it perfectly. The sights and sounds are so special. Especially the sights of nature at it’s finest and the sounds that exude from those sights that are unencumbered by the sounds of man and civilization. Hope you had an ice cream when you were in San Sebastián at Gelateria Boulevard. The best ice cream anywhere!
Congratulations! Have you seen my friend (the goat with Mona Lisa smile)? I walked the entire Norte (a.k.a. Sheer Bliss) last year. I booked a flight twice and had to cancel it because U.S. citizens are not admitted to Spain this year. I am envious, but happy for you.
Thank you so much, Mera.

Camino del Norte is akin to a life long relationship. I am already hankering after those yellow arrows...

I met many a happy and smiling cow, sheep, goat and hooting owl.

Be well!

I did not make it to Gelataria Boulevard. I did however indulge in Galicia’s delicious almond tart with cafe solo on the side....it’s like jet fuel for happy pilgrim!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Congrats. I am glad to hear you survived being accosted, and that you still had a wonderful and successful Camino! That would be enough for me to end my Camino. I have never walked alone, and do not plan on doing so. Even with a partner, I never leave before first light. I am too worried about getting lost and it feels too risky to me.
I believe it’s imperative to ‘listen’ to the inner voice. That is all we have to trust.

I preferred getting started before first light. Senses are on high alert and the transition from darkness to light appear to be a rebirth.

Galicia has a prolific bird life, whichbis best observed at day break.

Take care.
Hector

You timed it well, benefitting from the best of the weather and enjoying the route and all it has to offer. Congratulations on completing your goal.
Well done for standing up to the attempted robbery in Avilés, that must have been a tricky moment. Did you report it to at all? Any large town in the dark hours can be a cover for those trying to take advantage of a peaceful pilgrim, so being on your guard and willing to act is crucial. However, sometimes there could be unforeseen consequences, luckily for you your reaction probably alerted attention and the assailant ran away. I've been in that situation myself, so I can appreciate your reaction in that situation.
Hi Marky
I regret to admit, I did not report the incident to the local authorities.

The incident made me more determined to surrender to the ‘good’ of the Camino and not to dwell on the shadow of man.

With thanks,
Hector

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It is so nice to read that you have experienced the same at the Camino del Norte as what I experienced there. It's so enchantingly beautiful in north west Spain and Galicia! A few stages are not as great as the long walk along the pipeline, but immediately afterwards you will be rewarded with a magnificent view. Everything here is still "in the human scale". Now, 5 years later, I can still be homesick for this. one of the most beautiful experiences in my life

Thank you for reading.

Hector van der Walt
I loved the Norte

I loved the Norte and the fall is the perfect time to go. I had hoped to return this year, but now will have to wait. So glad you enjoyed my favorite Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi if I wanted to do the Del Norte and had 2 weeks any recommendations (would be much appreciated ) and which part of the Norte would be less challenging. Marianne
Hi. I only have 7 days and will be walking from Irun to Bilboa end of April, first week of May. Aside from booking ahead in San Sebastián and Bilbao, do I need to book in advance or will I have...
Hello, I am brand new to the Camino and am planning to hike the Norte and Primitive routes starting mid-May, 2024. I think I have access to most of the resources I need except I don't seem to be...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.