• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del Norte a Chimayó (USA)

jmcarp

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, 2013
Camino del Norte a Chimayó (USA), 2015
Camino Portugues, 2017
During the week of September 21-27, 2015, a group of eleven hardy pilgrims and a car-shuttling photographer/videographer joined the Winter Pilgrim, Ann Sieben ( www.winterpilgrim.blogspot.com/ ), for a 115-mile walking pilgrimage from San Luis, Colorado to the Santuario de Chimayó in Chimayó, New Mexico. These pilgrims ranged in age from 35 to 77 years old, and most were veterans of the Camino de Santiago in Spain.

Unlike the Camino de Santiago with its well-developed infrastructure of albergues, cafés, water fountains, and other support facilities spaced every few kilometers, the Camino del Norte a Chimayó wanders along roadsides and forest trails through the sparsely-populated and desert-like sagebrush flats, rolling hills, and mountains of southern Colorado and northern New Mexico. One walks for as long as 20 miles (32 km) without a place to refill water bottles, purchase lunch or a snack, or even find a shady spot to rest for a few moments. Many of the villages and hamlets through which the route passes have no commercial lodging or food markets, much less a café or restaurant. The only large town along the way is Taos, New Mexico. Pilgrims along this route must therefore either camp out, or if traveling in a group with pre-planned stops, stay overnight in church halls, sleeping on mats or air mattresses on hard floors. While large-group pilgrimages to Chimayó are common, especially during Holy Week, the concept of individual or small-group pilgrimages is relatively new. Fortunately, the small towns along the way are steeped in the Catholic tradition of supporting pilgrims, and Ann, having completed a half-dozen or more pilgrimages to Chimayó, has done a wonderful job of helping them to understand the needs of modern day pilgrims such as our group.

So what’s it like to walk this route? In actuality, unless one camps out along the way, the stages are set by the availability of food and lodging. This results in a seven-day itinerary that begins with three days averaging 20 miles (32 km) each, followed by days of 13, 17, 15, and 9+ miles (21, 27, 24, and 15 km) each. Much of the route involves walking along paved highways, with only approximately 40 percent of the way on gravel or dirt roads or trails. As noted above, the terrain varies from sagebrush flats to piñon and juniper-covered hills, to lodgepole pine and aspen forests. The elevation varies from 7900 feet (2410 m) at the start in San Luis to 6100 feet (1860 m) at the Santuario de Chimayó, with the crossing of a 9000-foot (2750 m) mountain pass between Ranchos de Taos and Peñasco on Day 5. It’s clearly a pilgrimage walk not to be taken lightly, even by Camino de Santiago veterans. Cellphone coverage is limited along most of the way, particularly on the arduous Day 5 climb over the pass, so getting help in case of an accident or injury can be problematic.

There are currently no guidebooks for this route; however, one of the pilgrims in our group, Patt Bekken, is in the process of writing one. She will also be organizing future group pilgrimages to Chimayó. Her website is www.peregrinity.org .

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Jim has written a great summary from the point-of-view of a pilgrim. I would only add two items. Plans need to consider the possibility of dehydration on day 5 of this route. Day 5 is a beautiful walk, but I'm not sure I've ever required more water in 8 hours, and none is available until late afternoon. Second, the Pilgrim Blessing at the end of the walk in the church at Chimayo was very special. Much like the Camino de Santiago, it will probably take Ruth and I a while to process what this memory will mean to us. It was much more difficult than any 7 days on the Frances route in Spain, but the support of the folks who organized it, and the hospitality of the communities, enabled us to complete every step!
Mike.

After reading about the Camino del Norte a Chimayo in 2012, I tried to find more formal information on the routing. Not much out there!! I've attended mass at El Santuario de Chimayó a few times. (we go to Santa Fe and the surrounding area every few years) Thanks for the info!!!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
During the week of September 21-27, 2015, a group of eleven hardy pilgrims and a car-shuttling photographer/videographer joined the Winter Pilgrim, Ann Sieben ( www.winterpilgrim.blogspot.com/ ), for a 115-mile walking pilgrimage from San Luis, Colorado to the Santuario de Chimayó in Chimayó, New Mexico. These pilgrims ranged in age from 35 to 77 years old, and most were veterans of the Camino de Santiago in Spain.

Unlike the Camino de Santiago with its well-developed infrastructure of albergues, cafés, water fountains, and other support facilities spaced every few kilometers, the Camino del Norte a Chimayó wanders along roadsides and forest trails through the sparsely-populated and desert-like sagebrush flats, rolling hills, and mountains of southern Colorado and northern New Mexico. One walks for as long as 20 miles (32 km) without a place to refill water bottles, purchase lunch or a snack, or even find a shady spot to rest for a few moments. Many of the villages and hamlets through which the route passes have no commercial lodging or food markets, much less a café or restaurant. The only large town along the way is Taos, New Mexico. Pilgrims along this route must therefore either camp out, or if traveling in a group with pre-planned stops, stay overnight in church halls, sleeping on mats or air mattresses on hard floors. While large-group pilgrimages to Chimayó are common, especially during Holy Week, the concept of individual or small-group pilgrimages is relatively new. Fortunately, the small towns along the way are steeped in the Catholic tradition of supporting pilgrims, and Ann, having completed a half-dozen or more pilgrimages to Chimayó, has done a wonderful job of helping them to understand the needs of modern day pilgrims such as our group.

So what’s it like to walk this route? In actuality, unless one camps out along the way, the stages are set by the availability of food and lodging. This results in a seven-day itinerary that begins with three days averaging 20 miles (32 km) each, followed by days of 13, 17, 15, and 9+ miles (21, 27, 24, and 15 km) each. Much of the route involves walking along paved highways, with only approximately 40 percent of the way on gravel or dirt roads or trails. As noted above, the terrain varies from sagebrush flats to piñon and juniper-covered hills, to lodgepole pine and aspen forests. The elevation varies from 7900 feet (2410 m) at the start in San Luis to 6100 feet (1860 m) at the Santuario de Chimayó, with the crossing of a 9000-foot (2750 m) mountain pass between Ranchos de Taos and Peñasco on Day 5. It’s clearly a pilgrimage walk not to be taken lightly, even by Camino de Santiago veterans. Cellphone coverage is limited along most of the way, particularly on the arduous Day 5 climb over the pass, so getting help in case of an accident or injury can be problematic.

There are currently no guidebooks for this route; however, one of the pilgrims in our group, Patt Bekken, is in the process of writing one. She will also be organizing future group pilgrimages to Chimayó. Her website is www.peregrinity.org .
Very different - Are the temperatures very high ?

Very different - Are the temperatures very high ?
As typical, temperatures can vary considerably from year to tear, but when we walked in late September of this year (2015), the temperature varied from lows in the low 40s F (~5-6 C) in the early morning to around 90 F (~32-33 C) in the mid-afternoon. The other factor to consider is the elevation -- see the description in my original post. Obviously much higher than the Camino routes in Spain or in Ireland.

Will you direct/re-direct me, and my family regarding the US Camino and any albergue reading a can do? I would love to do with my husband and 13 year old, thank you! Teresa
Note: I moved this exchange over from another forum in order not to hijack the topic of that forum.

Because this is something of a pioneering route, there are unfortunately no albergues, hostels, or anything like that along the way at the present time. Therefore, walking as individual pilgrims can be something of a challenge. We traveled with a small group, led by a couple of ladies who are endeavoring to promote this route as a Camino-like experience, but it's going to take a while to really get this off the ground. We had advance arrangements to stay on the floor in some of the parish halls along the way. As far as commercial lodging is concerned, there is one motel plus the old convent which rents rooms in San Luis, the starting point, and there are numerous hotels, motels, and B&Bs in Taos. There are also a couple of B&Bs in Arroyo Seco, and with a little Google searching you might find a B&B or VRBO private rental scattered here and there along the route. Otherwise, your best bet in at least the near future would be to treat it like a backpacking trip and camp along the way, which means carrying tents, cooking gear, and all the other specialty gear a typical backpacker carries -- including a lot of water.

One of the leaders of our group is writing a guidebook, which presumably will have information about lodging, food availability, maps, etc. She may tentatively lead a couple of groups each year -- one in the spring and one in the fall. These will probably be done a commercial type basis. Her website is www.peregrinity.org. (Note that her website is currently directed toward the Camino de Santiago and doesn't, as least for the time being, include any information about the Camino del Norte de Chimayo.)

As far as additional reading, I have submitted a longer version of my original post in this thread to the American Pilgrims on the Camino for possible publication in their newsletter and/or on their website. Keep an eye on the APOC website, http://americanpilgrims.com/ to see if it actually gets published. There is also an online blog posted by a group that walked from Denver to Chimayo a few years ago; see http://caminotochimayo.blogspot.com/. Our September route generally followed the last part of that group's walk.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As far as additional reading, I have submitted a longer version of my original post in this thread to the American Pilgrims on the Camino for possible publication in their newsletter and/or on their website. Keep an eye on the APOC website, http://americanpilgrims.com/ to see if it actually gets published...
UPDATE: The article was published last week, and here is the link: http://www.americanpilgrims.org/essays
Click on the "Camino del Norte a Chimayo" title on the list to download the entire article as a PDF file.
Note: Because it was written for an American audience, distances are given in miles and temperatures are given in degrees F. For the rest of the world that uses non-archaic units, the conversion is 1 mile = 1.6 km. Thus 115 miles = 185 km. For temperatures, 40 deg F = 4.4 deg C and 90 deg F = 32.2 deg C.

Last edited:
I live in Albuquerque, south of Chimayo. It is a popular pilgrimage on Easter, when you will see people walking along the freeway, dragging full-size wooden crosses.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I started walking the American Discovery Trail back in 2019. My plan was to walk the southern option between Cincinnati, Ohio and Denver, Colorado that fall, and then to fly to Delaware in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.