• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del Norte accomodations (not albergues)

igor82j

Hi!

I am new to this forum, my name is Igor and i am planning to walk the camino in April/May.

After reading all the information concerning accomodations, i was a bit in shock... All these bedbugs, a constant uncertainty if you manage to get a place to sleep or not, an obligation to wake up at 5 or 6 am.. This is definitely not the way i want to spend a whole month. I am in need of a certain level of comfort. Then, i don't want to carry a sleeping bag with me.

Therefore, my question: is it possible to find some normal hostales along the way? I travel lots in Spain, and always manage to find a decent room for about 30 euros. I mean, the difference is not that big... Or is it not the way a real peregrino is supposed to make the camino? :)

Thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, Igor,
Welcome to the forum! I think you're going to love the Camino del Norte. I walked it in May 2007 and have an old post in this forum that detailed our stages: el-camino-del-norte/topic2829.html

I just ran through our stages quickly to see where we stayed in albergues (and we didn't do that very often, more frequently going in small hotels or pensiones), and from what I remember, I think there were many private alternatives nearby. You may have to juggle your stages a bit, but I think it will be easy to line up an all-private-accommodation journey.

If you use the mundicamino.com guide to the Camino del Norte, you will see that they have a very complete list of private accommodations in all towns along the way, and you'll find that there is an abundance -- in fact the more common complaint about the Norte is that there aren't enough albergues!

Buen camino to you, I think you will absolutely love it. Have you decided whether to stay on the Norte all the way to Santiago, or whether to "dip down" to Oviedo and continue on the Camino Primitivo? That was one of those big decisions that doesn't have to be made now but that offers two spectacular options.

Laurie

Hi Laurie,

thank you for your reply. Unfurtunately, i can't open the mundicamino site, hope they'll fix it soon.

Did you reserve these private accomodations in advance, or just ring them in the morning, or simply walk in in the evening?

I haven't decided yet if i should take the Primitivo or not... I am still a bit unsure if i have to take the Norte, at all (because of the weather which might be a bit cold in April). But as i want to escape the crowds... Besides, i will be flying from Seville, so it's reasonable to fly to Bilbao and start the walk from there. Do you think it's possible to complete the Bilbao-Santiago part in 23-24 days? I will start after the feria de abril in seville (on the 26th or 27th of april) and i want to be back in Madrid on the 20th or 21th (to the Champions League final).

Thanks

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Igor,
Make sure you're typing the mundicamino web address right, because I've had no trouble getting on today: http://www.mundicamino.com/

We didn't do much advance reservation at all, we were walking in May and it was relatively uncrowded, but of course it wasn't a holy year. But the thing about the Norte is that it goes through a lot of very popular tourist destinations, so in the off season there tends to be a lot of over-supply. I can't tell you much about weather in April, but there's a great website with a lot of weather information (run by Grant Spangler) http://elcaminosantiago.multiply.com/

We took a lot longer than 23-24 days, but we did some really short days. It's 680 km on google maps, so if we assume the camino is roughly the same distance (maybe a bad assumption), that would be under 30 km a day for 24 days, so it seems perfectly reasonable.

When I walked the Norte, we stayed on the Norte all the way into Santiago and it was great. I have since walked the primitivo, though, and it's a wonderful walk, too. So I don't know how you would choose. All the best, Laurie

I walked the Norte in September and there was no problem with accomodation. I did however stay in Albergues whenever possible. I met a German along the way who hated albergues and stayed in Hostals whenever possible, which was most of the time. The only time i know he stayed in an albergue wa at Miraz: there was no choice.

April/May shouldn't be a problem for you, but the weather may be inclement. Make use of the tourist info offices. My experience of them in Spain has been very positive. They found me a single room in a very pleasant pension in Luarca for 15 Euros.

Many people turn off the Norte onto the Primitivo. There seemed to be fewer peregrinos after this point.

Hi Igor,
Most of the info you are looking for is already on the Forum in one place or another. My blog from last year's pilgrimage on the Norte and Primitivo is here ;
http://walktocompostela.blogspot.com/20 ... chive.html
- and this thread is useful for info on the Primitivo :
camino-primitivo/topic4407.html
The Primitivo at the beginning of May should be do-able. It does depend on the height of the snow line as you are going up to 1.200 meters at Puerto del Palo. There is no need to make a decision until after Oviedo as you can cut back up to the Norte from there. As a rough guide, I took 27 walking days from Santander to Santiago de Compostela. Some of them very short days! Salas to Bodenaya was only 7 kilometers!!
Consider all the advice that you are given but make your own decisions! It is YOUR camino!

Blessings on your walking
Tio Tel

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I left Bilbao on September 6th and arrived in Compostela on September 30th. With a lay day in Gijon that meant I walked the journey in 24 days, including a 45 km day from Sobrado to Arca. I don't think I would enjoy walking it any quicker than that. As I had walked from Irun to Bilbao, I had built up some fitness before doing the Bilbao/Compostela stretch.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Hello,

We walked this Camino in 2007.
We normally do not sleep in Albergues but in small pensiones or hostales.
If you can read french, have a look to our below mentioned site and check Camino del Norte.
I you can't read french, check the bottom line of each stage report as we have mentioned our lodging and diner solutions with sometimes comments and costs.

Buen Camino

Thank you for your replies, all this info is very valuable!

Now, would you recommend buying some guidebook detailing all the stages of camino norte (and which one exactly)? I heard the road is not very well marked, so it must be nice to have a book with a detailed description, a list of accomodation and maps of towns/villages.

Thanks
Igor

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
igor82j said:
Thank you for your replies, all this info is very valuable!

Now, would you recommend buying some guidebook detailing all the stages of camino norte (and which one exactly)? I heard the road is not very well marked, so it must be nice to have a book with a detailed description, a list of accomodation and maps of towns/villages.

Thanks
Igor
Hi Igor,
Terry (TerryB) used the guide books from the Confraternity of St James here in England and said they were really good. You can see them listed herehttp://www.csj.org.uk/acatalog/The_CSJ_Bookshop_Pilgrim_Guides_to_Spain_23.html. Terry used the parts he needed of Los Caminos del norte 1 & 2 and also F for the Primitivo. Hope you have time to get them.
He took 31 walking days from Santander, but others have done it quicker.
Buen Camino
Tia Valeria

Hello!

So i decided to start my camino in Santander. 23 days must be enough, i hope, to walk without being in a hurry.

Now, has anyone started in Santander? Where can i get the credential there?

Thanks
Igor

igor82j said:
Now, has anyone started in Santander? Where can i get the credential there?

Thanks
Igor

Hi Igor,
Try the 'Albergue de Peregrinos de Santander', 9 - 11 Rue Mayor near the bus and rail stations.

Buen Camino
Terry

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Considering that we were dipping ourselves in the sea in beautiful Zarautz yesterday evening it is certainly a change in weather today, however, that has not dampened our excitement of the walk...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.