• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del Norte after Part of Frances?

Adventurebug

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés 2018
Planning future Camino in Summer 2019
Hi everyone, I’m looking for advice about which Camino route I should do this summer, in June/July. Last year I did 13 days of the Camino Francés from León to Santiago and loved it. This summer I’ll have 5-6 weeks to dedicate to walking. I’m considering the Norte because I am in love with the scenery along the northern coast of Spain and would love to walk along there. However, I loved the atmosphere on the Francés- meeting tons of interesting people along the way. I personally loved being able to walk alone most of the morning but still meet up with people later in the days and in the evening. I’m worried that there won’t be the same sense of community on the Norte, which was one of the parts I loved most about the Francés. Which leads me to consider doing the entire route of the Francés from Saint John to Santiago this time around. Thoughts and opinions? Should I do the Camino del Norte or the entire Camino Francés? I know that in the end whichever I choose will be the right one, however I would like a few opinions from others with experience. Thank you in advance for all of your insight!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked most of the Norte last year but unfortunately had to stop just about 100 km short of Santiago. So my plan for this year is to start on the Frances in SJPdP, and walk until León. Then divert onto the Camino del Salvador up to Oviedo, where I will connect with the Norte so that I can finish the part that I didn't walk last year.
However, if I find that I'm walking with a group of people that I really "click" with on the Frances then I may continue on with them to Santiago, then take a bus up to Vilalba where I ended my Camino last year.
June/July on the Norte will be fairly busy, so you will find community there, but not as large.

I have walked both the Norte and the Frances. I found the sense of community far stronger on the Norte, there were fewer pilgrims, but the bond between us was much tighter. I formed a great camino family who have since become life long friends. I think the main reason for this is because there were less albergues, (this is not a problem) and so we tended to meet up in the same place most nights, so the bond grew quicker. Most nights we would either cook up communal meals or eat out together. The scenery on the Norte is fantastic, far more varied and interesting than the Frances. I have walked four separate caminos now, but the Norte is my favourite.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You'll love the Norte. There will be more than enough people. And June/July is a great time to walk it... when you get too hot, you can swim in the sea!

Hi, having walked the Frances in 2016, I loved the Del Norte in 2018.....both so different and wonderful. I found more connection to people on the Norte even though it was quieter....the Frances was busier and I felt everyone was in a hurry. That said, I'd love to do the Frances again for the beautiful scenery, every part of it, but last time I had to do something different and so happy I did. I don't think you would be sorry so give it a try.....whatever way you decide will be the best for you. Buen Camino

Just finished the Norte and have walked the CF twice. I started the Norte at the end of September and went to the beginning of November. It was very beautiful and tougher than the CF. There were very few pilgrims after Santander. I have heard from others the Norte gets crowded (for the Norte that is) in the summer and since there are fewer services beds can be a problem some nights. I have no personal experience regarding this. It is only what other pilgrims have told me. If you like to walk alone during the day I think the Norte will be your ticket to happiness. Since there are fewer albergues and less choices of towns to stop in you will see many of your newly acquired camino friends. I have to say I made the least amount of lasting friends on this Camino than the previous 3 before. I think it was because there were many pilgrims that wanted to walk alone and also did not really go for the "pilgrim family" idea. This is not to say that this is the norm, I think it was just what I experienced this time. That doesn't mean I didn't meet some absolutely fantastic people. I did. Try the Norte, it is tougher but there is a big payoff also.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Considering that we were dipping ourselves in the sea in beautiful Zarautz yesterday evening it is certainly a change in weather today, however, that has not dampened our excitement of the walk...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.