• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del Norte -Alternative Stage 18 and 19

Time of past OR future Camino
CDN, Primitivo, Sanabrés, Portugués, Ruta do Mar,
In reading my new "Guía Práctica del Camino de Santiago, Camino del Norte" by Carlos Mencos, he recommends going from Sebrayo to Vega de Sariego, and Vega de Sariego to Oviedo. Mencos emphasizes both a visit to Valdediós (noting that it is not part of the Camino, but it should be), and to Oviedo. He states that it is a disadvantage to not stop at the Cathedral in Oviedo, and visit the Holy Chamber. It does add another day, but the author gives special importance to this alternative route.

I am inclined to follow this advise but knowing there are so many of you that are veterans of the Camino, I thought I´d pick your brain for thought and guidance! Have you done this alternate route? Do you have any insights for me?

Many Thanks,

Mary

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Mary,
Speaking as a 'Christian Pilgrim' I would suggest that Oviedo should be part of your itinary. The old saying "Quien va a Santiago y no al Salvador, visita al criado y deja al Senor" (whoever goes to St James and not the Saviour, visits the servant and leaves aside the Master) refers to the Catedral del San Salvador in Oviedo. The Camara Santa there is well worth a visit (free entry for pilgrims and they have a sello for your credential). For more info. google "Sudarium" which is the headcloth of Christ kept in the Camara Santa.
The route into Oviedo is well marked leaving the Norte just after Villaviciosa. From Oviedo back up to the coast can be uninspiring as the shortest route back to Aviles is nearly all through industrial areas.
Can I suggest that you consider using the Camino Primitivo from Oviedo through Lugo (well worth seeing!!) and on to the Francés at Melide (or Palas do Rey or Arzua)?

Blessings on your planning and walking :)
Tio Tel

Hi, Mary,
I have taken the "detour" you describe. Went from Villaviciosa to Pola de Siero, with a visit to Valdedios, which is quite amazing. When we walked the Norte, there was no albergue in POla de Siero, but now there is, and I hear it is quite nice.

We spent two days in Oviedo, to visit the cathedral, but also to visit the pre-romanesque Asturian jewels up on Naranco, San Miguel de Lillo and Santa Maria del Naranco. They are both incredible monuments. About a half hour walk from the train station.

The day from Oviedo back to the Norte is uninspiring. The first 14 of so kms were fine, as I recall, not on roads, through some wooded areas. In the town of La Posada we lost the arrows and couldn't find any help from anyone -- not in the library, not in the police station. We wound up on the edge of a very busy, narrow road and it was not pleasant, but we had not This was almost 10 years ago now, so maybe people with more recent experiences can comment on whether the way is better marked.

We found that the way into Aviles from the south missed a lot of the heavy industrial areas that you would pass through if you stayed on the norte and walked Villaviciosa to Gijon to Aviles. The actual entrance into Aviles is suburban residential, and the albergue there is in the old part of town and was quite nice when we were there. Don't know what it's like now.

Terry's right that if you drop down to Oviedo, you have a choice to make. Either head back up to the Norte and Aviles, or continue on the Primitivo from Oviedo into Santiago I've done both of these routes and they are both beautiful. It just depends on whether you want to stick to the norte or do a combined Norte/Primitivo. There are some threads on this topic, and the consensus seems to be that either option is a good one, and that you will probably make the decision based on where the people you have formed friendships with want to go.

Here are some now out of date notes on my stages, but maybe they will be of some help: el-camino-del-norte/topic2829.html
Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. I think that the only thing I would disagree with in your post is the guide's statement that the detour adds "another day" to the norte. It actually adds at least a few days, especially if you take time to see the sights.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just to add to Terry's post re the Cámara Santa. It is open from about 10.00 - 13.00 and 16.00 to 19.00 (18.00 Sats closed Sundays).00. If you enter the cathedral by the door in the West front when leaving go out the door at the far right of the main altar. The entry to the Cámara Santa is through the cathedral shop. Sello is available here, free entry to the chapel and also paid entry to the cathedral museum which is beyond the chapel.

http://www.spainisculture.com/en/monumentos/asturias/camara_santa.html

Also next to the cathedral, to the right of the west front, is the little church of San Tirso http://www.spain.info/en/conoce/monumentos/asturias/iglesia_de_san_tirso.html

Terry, Laurie & Tía Valeria,

Thank you so much for your valuable and interesting information! This is going to be a Christian Pilgrim!! So a stop at Valdediós, and a 2-3 day visit in Oviedo will be a must for me! Tía Valeria not only your links to the Cámara Santa and the San Tirso church are very helpful but also the additional information!
Terry, thanks for reminding me of that old saying "Quien va a Santiago y no al Salvador, visita al criado y deja al Señor". Nothing else needs to be said! Oviedo it will be!
Love the thread with your pictures Laurie! I am an architecture buff and never tire of churches, cathedrals, monuments, castles, etc. In a different life my occupation would be to study Pre-Romanesque architecture from about the IX Century to the end of the Catalán Modernisme movement of the XIX Century. And travel travel travel!!

The decision to go on the Primitivo or on to Avilés will be a difficult one, no doubt, but hopefully with no regrets, but with the desire to return and try the route not chosen on this upcoming trip :D

Mary

Hi, Mary,
I've often had the same thought you describe -- that in another life I would have studied visigothic/pre-romanesque/romanesque architecture! But as things turned out, being a pilgrim on the camino is a good place to dabble in that interest, that's for sure. There are so many incredible sites, and many, like Valdedios, are just a stone's throw from one Camino or another. You will love the route, whichever decision you make in Oviedo. When are you starting out on the Norte?

Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Laurie,

My plan is to begin on the 3rd of May. My flight arrives in Bilbao on the 2nd and I will bus to San Sebastián for the night and on to Irún. My thought is to be in Pasajes that night and then I´ll pace myself accordingly! I can´t wait to be there, so much time planning makes your mouth water with desire to see it all :D
Will you be traveling the Camino this year Laurie? If so, what´s your route and plan? I see you love to post and help so many of us that are newbies, and I find that remarkable. Thanks so much for all your good insight.
Mary

Hola Mary,
We have just sent you a PM
TerryB and Tia Valeria

Most read last week in this forum

Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Considering that we were dipping ourselves in the sea in beautiful Zarautz yesterday evening it is certainly a change in weather today, however, that has not dampened our excitement of the walk...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.