• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del Norte and Primitivo? Second Camino

shanefitz1

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino in May
Hola Peregrinos!

I'm a 21 year old male and last year walked my first Camino along the Camino Frances from St Jean to Santiago. It changed my life and was phenomenally amazing! I walked alone yet met so many amazing people who are now true friends. I felt that along the Camino Frances, the experience of the Camino is more than the sum of its parts. That is, he Camino has amazing people, gorgeous scenery, walking, contemplation, amazing food, meals with friends, spiritual churches. Yet when I consider the experience, by adding up all the factors, it still falls short to explain the true brilliance of the Way. There's a magic to it!

I'm feeling the pull and considering another Camino next summer, this time I'm thinking about the Camino del Norte, joining to the Primitivo. Could anyone give me advice as to these Caminos? Do they have the same magic as the Frances? I know there is more solitude, which can be good and bad. Would you recommend it?

Thank a lot!
Shane

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola Peregrinos!

I'm a 21 year old male and last year walked my first Camino along the Camino Frances from St Jean to Santiago. It changed my life and was phenomenally amazing! I walked alone yet met so many amazing people who are now true friends. I felt that along the Camino Frances, the experience of the Camino is more than the sum of its parts. That is, he Camino has amazing people, gorgeous scenery, walking, contemplation, amazing food, meals with friends, spiritual churches. Yet when I consider the experience, by adding up all the factors, it still falls short to explain the true brilliance of the Way. There's a magic to it!

I'm feeling the pull and considering another Camino next summer, this time I'm thinking about the Camino del Norte, joining to the Primitivo. Could anyone give me advice as to these Caminos? Do they have the same magic as the Frances? I know there is more solitude, which can be good and bad. Would you recommend it?

Thank a lot!
Shane
Hi Shane,
Wow it always interesting to read what we all lived through the forum. I am sure it will be another great ... experience. You are so young and doing the Camino del Norte is what I understand more challenging physically and more solitude ....
I too finish the Camino Frances ... but thinking about doing the Camino del Norte next August ! Go for it ... !

The del Noirte is very different from the Frances. It is more physically challenging. I went in July and although it wasn't nearly as crowded as the Frances there still enough people to have some banter with at night.
The joy of jumping in the sea half way through the day is very special. No race for beds either

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My first Camino was the Frances in fall of 2012 then I walked the Norte from Irun to Santiago June 2013.

The CF changed my life and the Norte gave me more solitude to understand at a greater depth what and why my life was and is changing. I never lacked for companionship on the Norte. Always had a bed, plenty to eat and met pilgrims that I will never forget.

I hope you go on the Norte, you will not regret it. :)
Bobbie

I will be walking camino Norte early may, 3 weeks from Irun to Oviedo, then primitivo later, also have plans to walk Porto to Santiago/ finnestere , muxia sept / October next, always walk solo but partner will join me for Portuguese adventure, Buen camino

I did this spring, I started in Irun and in Villaviciosa follow the arrow to Oviedo. The del Norte and Primitivo routes are very different, but both are awesome!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.