• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del norte app

• Thread starter Former member 104767
  • Start date
F

Former member 104767

which app should I use to direct me to coastal pathways off the main camino del Norte?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
which app should I use to direct me to coastal pathways off the main camino del Norte?
We have just completed a part of this 'Way', and for us Gronze was the most helpful, and the pathways certainly worth doing! One piece of advice, do not attempt the path after Santońa to Noja if it has been (or is) raining- clay ,sand and rock!

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
and for us Gronze was the most helpful, and the pathways certainly worth doing!
I haven’t checked them all, but one spectacular alternative that Gronze does not include is the coastal route out of Santander. In comparison to the inland route past the chemical factory and alongside the pipeline, this one is really not to be missed if you have the time and the inclination.

I haven’t checked them all, but one spectacular alternative that Gronze does not include is the coastal route out of Santander. In comparison to the inland route past the chemical factory and alongside the pipeline, this one is really not to be missed if you have the time and the inclination.
Is it the Senda de Litoral shown on this screenshot in red from the mapy.cz app?

Screenshot_20221015-074618.png

I highly recommend mapy.cz because it has all of the major Camino routes already built in, plus many other hiking and cycling trails.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Is it the Senda de Litoral shown on this screenshot in red from the mapy.cz app?

View attachment 134898

I highly recommend mapy.cz because it has all of the major Camino routes already built in, plus many other hiking and cycling trails.
That is the coastal variant. I used mapy.cz to follow the route this summer based on your recommendation. Thanks👍. The coastal variant is beautiful until you get to Soto and Liencres. In the area of those two towns the scenery becomes spectacular imho.

That is the coastal variant. I used mapy.cz to follow the route this summer based on your recommendation. Thanks👍. The coastal variant is beautiful until you get to Soto and Liencres. In the area of those two towns the scenery becomes spectacular imho.
Thanks for the feedback. I hope to be able to use my own advice and follow that coastal route next year.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you want to follow some of the alternatives along the coast that aren't official Camino routes it is helpful to have an app with GPS.
In fact, that is very much an understatement. Without a GPS, you would be hard pressed to even find the way to connect from the official camino to the coastal alternatives. I would say a GPS is not only helpful, it is pretty much essential.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
However, if one is camping exclusively, then there is nowhere to recharge the phone.
Are there maps anyone could recommend if I want to go off the official coastal route and follow the alternative pathways?

For finding accommodations I use Gronze.com. For maps of the trail - I used Wise Pilgrim - Norte app. For maps and directions within a town or city (not looking at the trail) I used google maps (for example - if I needed to find a post office or a grocery store or something OR another example - how to get from the Paris airport to my hotel or the Gare Montparnasse train station). For for directions for transportation options getting to/from my starting/ending points (more long distance transportation) - I used Rome2Rio (for example - for directions and transportation options to get from Paris to Hendaye or from Santiago to Madrid). Nice thing about Rome2Rio is it also gives links to buy tickets.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
For finding accommodations I use Gronze.com. For maps of the trail - I used Wise Pilgrim - Norte app. For maps and directions within a town or city (not looking at the trail) I used google maps (for example - if I needed to find a post office or a grocery store or something OR another example - how to get from the Paris airport to my hotel or the Gare Montparnasse train station). For for directions for transportation options getting to/from my starting/ending points (more long distance transportation) - I used Rome2Rio (for example - for directions and transportation options to get from Paris to Hendaye or from Santiago to Madrid). Nice thing about Rome2Rio is it also gives links to buy tickets.
I am sorry, but this reply has nothing to do with my question.

Having just completed the Norte I can confirm its definitely not as well marked as the Frances. We used the Norte app and the Buen Camino app, switching between them, as there are SO MANY alternatives on the Norte.
Interesting - I felt the opposite about the signage on Norte compared to Frances. The only time I had issues on the Norte was when I left and it was still a little on the dark side early in the morning. Whereas on the Frances - there were times I was totally paying attention in broad daylight and still losing arrows. I rarely used my gps on the Norte unless looking for alternative routes to the arrows. I used it quite a few times on the Frances. But on the Primitivo - I don't think I used GPS at all except when i wanted to be sure to follow the "right" arrows to take the path I wanted to take when there were more than one option. But all three are fairly well signed.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You asked about apps - I told you about apps. Including Wise Pilgrim - which shows some alternative routes.
I do apologise, I am new to this and I had sent a further, more recent, question. I was expecting the reply to be to my most recent question. However, I am delighted the amount of feedback there is in this forum. thank you.

Interesting - I felt the opposite about the signage on Norte compared to Frances. The only time I had issues on the Norte was when I left and it was still a little on the dark side early in the morning. Whereas on the Frances - there were times I was totally paying attention in broad daylight and still losing arrows. I rarely used my gps on the Norte unless looking for alternative routes to the arrows. I used it quite a few times on the Frances. But on the Primitivo - I don't think I used GPS at all except when i wanted to be sure to follow the "right" arrows to take the path I wanted to take when there were more than one option. But all three are fairly well signed.
We used a lot of the optional routes, so perhaps that coloured my experience as they were definitely not so well marked.

I do apologise, I am new to this and I had sent a further, more recent, question. I was expecting the reply to be to my most recent question. However, I am delighted the amount of feedback there is in this forum. thank you.
No worries - I know I did give more information - but I find that once people start asking about apps - it helps to let them know what works in different situations. For finding those coastal paths - I used a combination of following the arrows, the Wise Pilgrim app, and Google Maps. There isn't a true one size fits all app - for any situation I have found. Using a combination of resources works best for me. I start with a Camino app - but then use the other sources to supplement information.

We used a lot of the optional routes, so perhaps that coloured my experience as they were definitely not so well marked.
Could be. But we all interpret things a little differently anyway - maybe I was just more relaxed on my 2nd Camino and noticed them more. Who knows. I just remember thinking I was using my phone less and less on my Norte/Primitivo Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
So if you use the variant through those two towns, where do you recommend rejoining the Camino?

Most read last week in this forum

Hi if I wanted to do the Del Norte and had 2 weeks any recommendations (would be much appreciated ) and which part of the Norte would be less challenging. Marianne
Hi. I only have 7 days and will be walking from Irun to Bilboa end of April, first week of May. Aside from booking ahead in San Sebastián and Bilbao, do I need to book in advance or will I have...
Hello, I am brand new to the Camino and am planning to hike the Norte and Primitive routes starting mid-May, 2024. I think I have access to most of the resources I need except I don't seem to be...
Hi all, and thank you in an advance for your time and consideration :) I'm very much in my "Camino dreaming" phase, but next year I'll be looking to pre-book some of my accomodation for my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.