• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Del Norte around Easter

Dert2

Time of past OR future Camino
El Camino Norte in April 2020
Hi, we are planning to walk the Camino Del Norte in April 2020 and not sure whether we should start just after Easter or the week prior. We plan to walk for 10-11 days and have a tight budget. My concern is that Easter would be more crowded and expensive.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would walk after Easter.
Week before and Easter Sunday many places closed or reduced hours.
Many off from work, students etc will all be there.
Increase amount of walkers, mostly locals, on the Camino then.

This is big holiday time in Spain.

On the other hand... the week leading up to Easter is Semana Santa. Definitely a cultural highlight, if you haven't experienced it before. Even if you don't stay the whole week, I'd recommend arriving in/walking through a bigger town over the Easter weekend (pic attached, to give you an idea. I think that was in Gijon, Easter Friday).

DSC_0112_3.JPG
You should know that the weather at this time of year can be very, very wet and windy. I walked last year March/April and some sections were actually flooded. Nothing a seasoned walker couldn't handle, but you really do need to be prepared with the right gear.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We walked the Norte starting the week before Easter, it was busy for the week before and after as a lot of people had to use up their vacation time. Plus the schools are out for quite a bit of time then also. Overall it is still okay to go a bit busier but fine.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.