• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Camino del Norte - Border Crossing

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

caminobbz2021

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi everyone! I am hoping to walk from Saint Jean de Luz to Irún over the next few days. Does anyone know what the border situation is? Is it easy to walk across without and police controls?
Is the train line from Irún to Hendaya possible with no pcr? Thanks!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Not ignoring at all! Quite the opposite. Have had a google and can’t seem to find any definite answers for current rules so wanted to ask here in case anyone had any insight. Will not walk until certain I can travel across the border

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A friend has walked backwards on the Batzan, and then from Bayonne followed the route to Irun he crossed over the border today( again), the video footage I have seen today of the Ponte Santiago showed absolutely no barriers or checkpoints of any kind.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I am hoping to walk from Saint Jean de Luz to Irún over the next few days. Does anyone know what the border situation is? Is it easy to walk across without and police controls?
Not tests required when you walk from Saint Jean de Luz to Irún and assuming that you've spent the last few weeks in Spain (I assume Madrid, judging by the information in your avatar.

You need to read this: https://travelsafe.spain.info/wp-co...ADA_EN_ESPANA_A_PARTIR_DEL_7_DE-JUNIO_eng.pdf in combination with the currently valid list of countries and areas of risk. The link in the document will give you an error 404. The proper link is https://www.mscbs.gob.es/profesionales/saludPublica/ccayes/alertasActual/nCov/spth.htm - click on tab Risk countries/Areas. Use the Spanish version of the website if the English version gives you an error 404.

Buen camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I can’t seem to be able to post (monga maybe?), so my question is how many have walked and trained (taken train during difficult hikes)? This is for those who do not need the Santiago certificate. Thank you

If you want the crossing the border Camino experience (and yes it is typically symbolically important to me too), if already in Spain, just walk to the little pedestrian bridge in Irun and go to the border line as shown in the photo and take one step over and come back. I suspect the adjacent car/road bridge may have controls but the pedestrian bridge, popular with local fisherman does not.

Attachments

• IMG_3131.JPG
    IMG_3131.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3132.JPG
    IMG_3132.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 38
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The pedestrian bridge between Hendaye and Irun has been closed for some time but the road bridge is open. No controls for pedestrians but there is a control post for cars on the return. There is also the option of crossing with the Navette from Hendaye to Fontarrabia and picking up the yellow arrows there. A glass of wine and a pintxos in one of the numerous bars there would be a nice welcome to Spain. Buen Camino!

Don’t want to be the bearer of bad news.
https://www.france24.com/en/europe/...rtugal-over-spike-in-covid-19-s-delta-variant[/URL] It is currently only advice to French citizens/residents but worth keeping an eye on.
France did not give this advice. It was an opinion of the French minister for European affairs, Clement Beaune. The following day, the French minister for health, Olivier Véran, was explicitly asked about what his colleague had said and he replied: "There is no need to panic for French people who have booked a holiday in Spain or Portugal or elsewhere". He further emphasised that French citizens can travel to Spain or Portugal this summer: "You are good to travel to Spain and Portugal when you are vaccinated and have proof of it."

Both TV interviews are on YouTube.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The French President gave a speech today to the French people. No plans to close borders. Stricter controls at the border to make sure that travellers have vaccination proof or proof of a negative test. This will even be required for long-distance train trips, starting from August.

Opposite direction: Irún to Hendaye. France regards Spain as a green country at the time of writing.
  • If you are vaccinated: proof of vaccination/EU Digital Covid certificate
  • If you are not vaccinated: negative test RT-PCR or antigen less than 72 hours before departure.
There's been an announcement on Twitter yesterday by one of the French government ministers that the time limit for tests will be reduced from 72 hours before departure from Spain to France to 24 hours before departure. This new stricter rule will be implemented within a few days as of 21 July 2021; it is not yet reflected on the French government websites. No changes for those who are vaccinated and have proof of it; EU-Europeans must have an EU DCC.

Last edited:
Hey mate! Did you find out about the Saint Jean de Luz to Irún border situation? Cheers BP

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back