• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del norte budget?

Giovanni02

Time of past OR future Camino
First camino planned on July-August 2023
Hi all!
I'm Giovanni, from Italy, I'm 21 years old and I'll start my first camino on the 12th of July.
I'm here to ask if my 4150€ budget will be enough for my trip. So please allow me to give you some info to judge.
I will walk the camino del norte from Irun, and I'll arrive in Santiago de Compostela around the 17th of August (if all goes well!).
After that, I have to be in Lisbon on the 29th of August to meet up with my girlfriend, so I have 11-12 days of time to mess around. I will probably be tired so I'd rather not walk too much during those days. I probably will move by bus and take many one night stays around portugal (I pre-booked to avoid price increase, bu I can cancel the reservation until like 3-4 days before, so all good) in Braga, Porto (2 nights), Aveiro, Coimbra, Tomar and Santarem. The first reservation (in Braga) is for the night between the 22nd and the 23rd. This gives me 5 days of leeway in case I need more time to finish the camino or to go to Finisterre in case I feel like doing so.
I already calculated the prices for all these stays, and it's 145€.
During those days I probably will spend around 10-15€ a day for trains to go from one city to another. Maybe even less if I book a flixbus (for example, Braga-Porto is 4€). Flights are already paid.
I have around 4150€ (4000€+150€ already "booked" for the hostel stays) for these 49 days
I think it is a decent budget but I'd like to hear it from more experienced and savy pilgrims :)
Also If you have any tips on how to save and budget the money, and how to find accommodations (is some days ahead needed on the camino del norte? Or can I be sure to find a place to stay even If I don't book?) feel free to tell me!
Aside from this, any tips and must-knows for a new pilgrim are more than welcome!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Unfortunately you left out some really important information. Will you stay in albergues/donativos/municipals or in hotels. Will you shop for food for lunch and dinner, eat in restaurants? WIthout knowing this your question can't be answered. You can stay in a donativo/municipal for 10 or 12 Euros a night. Shop for food and spend about the same a day or you can stay in hostels or pensions or hotels for alot more and eat out for alot more also.

But remember, Albergues such as Donativos and Municipals are only for those actively walking or biking the Camino. Once you have finished your walk and begin bussing from place to place, your budget will need to factor in Hostel /hotel rates.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If I followed your itinerary correctly, you have euro 4000 to spend over 49 days. That's euro 81 a day. That's plenty! After walking the Camino you may be a little tired but you will be in great shape. With 11 days to spare you might very well feel like keeping on walking to Finisterre and Muxia. Buen Camino

Unfortunately you left out some really important information. Will you stay in albergues/donativos/municipals or in hotels. Will you shop for food for lunch and dinner, eat in restaurants? WIthout knowing this your question can't be answered. You can stay in a donativo/municipal for 10 or 12 Euros a night. Shop for food and spend about the same a day or you can stay in hostels or pensions or hotels for alot more and eat out for alot more also.
I will be staying in the cheapest albergues most of the time during the camino del norte. After arriving in Santiago, I'll be mostly staying in private hostel (About 20/25€ each night) while roaming around in Portugal. Regarding food, I'll probably have a cheap breakfast, a packed lunch to eat while walking, and probably I'll eat out for dinner, if I find a cheap place with a menu del Dia that I like. Otherwise, I'll just cook something in the albergues communal kitchen. I'll probably eat out a bit more while in Portugal, but there food should be a bit cheaper than in, Spain so it should not drain as much finances.

But remember, Albergues such as Donativos and Municipals are only for those actively walking or biking the Camino. Once you have finished your walk and begin bussing from place to place, your budget will need to factor in Hostel /hotel rates.
I know! I will actively walk all the camino del norte, and I will use albergues and donativos where possible. I know the hostels cost a bit more, so I've already pre-booked 7 nights in Portugal (I can cancel anytime and get a full refund until like 3 days before for each of these nights, if there's a change of plans, so I should be safe!), for a total of 150€. Not bad.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I will be staying in the cheapest albergues most of the time during the camino del norte. After arriving in Santiago, I'll be mostly staying in private hostel (About 20/25€ each night) while roaming around in Portugal. Regarding food, I'll probably have a cheap breakfast, a packed lunch to eat while walking, and probably I'll eat out for dinner, if I find a cheap place with a menu del Dia that I like. Otherwise, I'll just cook something in the albergues communal kitchen. I'll probably eat out a bit more while in Portugal, but there food should be a bit cheaper than in, Spain so it should not drain as much finances.
If those are your plans you should be fine budget wise when you are on your camino. It will obviously get more expensive after you are done.

Hi all!
I'm Giovanni, from Italy, I'm 21 years old and I'll start my first camino on the 12th of July.
I'm here to ask if my 4150€ budget will be enough for my trip. So please allow me to give you some info to judge.
I will walk the camino del norte from Irun, and I'll arrive in Santiago de Compostela around the 17th of August (if all goes well!).
After that, I have to be in Lisbon on the 29th of August to meet up with my girlfriend, so I have 11-12 days of time to mess around. I will probably be tired so I'd rather not walk too much during those days. I probably will move by bus and take many one night stays around portugal (I pre-booked to avoid price increase, bu I can cancel the reservation until like 3-4 days before, so all good) in Braga, Porto (2 nights), Aveiro, Coimbra, Tomar and Santarem. The first reservation (in Braga) is for the night between the 22nd and the 23rd. This gives me 5 days of leeway in case I need more time to finish the camino or to go to Finisterre in case I feel like doing so.
I already calculated the prices for all these stays, and it's 145€.
During those days I probably will spend around 10-15€ a day for trains to go from one city to another. Maybe even less if I book a flixbus (for example, Braga-Porto is 4€). Flights are already paid.
I have around 4150€ (4000€+150€ already "booked" for the hostel stays) for these 49 days
I think it is a decent budget but I'd like to hear it from more experienced and savy pilgrims :)
Also If you have any tips on how to save and budget the money, and how to find accommodations (is some days ahead needed on the camino del norte? Or can I be sure to find a place to stay even If I don't book?) feel free to tell me!
Aside from this, any tips and must-knows for a new pilgrim are more than welcome!
Yes, it is quite enough.

For walking a Camino - you have more than enough. For your "tourism" days - it depends on your accommodations and activity and your eating habits.

I would say - not including flights/transportation - $2000 is usually more than enough for the Camino del Norte with staying in a mix of mostly albergues and with some less expensive private rooms mixed in - and eating a mix of pilgrim menus and supermarket food or inexpensive breakfast/lunch at local bars. (but good to add more for a buffer). That rest of the money would be for your other travels.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.