• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del norte difficulty from Santander

galega88

Time of past OR future Camino
CF desde Sarria 2015
Hi, I know a lot of people have said that the Camino del Norte is more difficulty (more hilly) than the Camino Frances. But I have noticed that a lot of the inclines are in the first section before Santander. If I start in Santander, will it still be considerably more hilly than the Camino Frances?

Hola. He visto que mucha gente dice que el Camino del Norte es mucho mas dificil que el Camino Frances. Pero me he dado cuenta que la mayoria de las cuestas en el Camino del Norte son en la primera parte, antes de Santader. Si empiezo mi camino en Santader, todavia será mucho mas dificil que el Camino Frances?

Gracias!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It would be much better after Santander, provided you walk to Ribadeo and head down instead of via Oviedo to the Camino Primitivo.

It makes me smile when I read experinced Caminoers say how the first bits of the Norte are because not only did I walk them but didn't think they are any more difficult than the CF. Clearly despite the extra pounds I am not doing that poorly on route.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There are two great websites that give information on elevation for both the Frances and the Norte, so you can easily compare. For each stage there is a profile map that shows ups and downs. Check out mundicamino and/or gronze.

The Norte before Santander may be hillier, but I would take those days over the days after Santander hands down. From Santander, you have 3-4 days of 100% asphalt walking, that is the real killer. Asphalt probably ends more caminos than steep hills.

Buen camino, Laurie

We started in Barreda, just west of Santander. The cercania (local train) goes there every half hour and it avoids that first pounding on asphalt. First stop is then Santillana del Mar, approx 7kms from Barreda. The Camino is picked up at the corner by the FEVE station.

I started the Norte a couple of days west of Santander and was a little surprised at how much up and down there was. I don't think I was expecting a stroll along the beach, but between Comillas and Pendueles, for example, there was almost 5000' of accumulated elevation (according to my wikiloc of that day), which is quite a lot in one day - more than between St Jean Pied de Port and Roncesvalles, or over Fuenfría between Cercedilla and Segovia on the Madrid.

http://es.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=11317358

Lovely landscape, with the Picos to the left and the sea to the right. I come from hill country, so I suppose I'm more used to bumps in the landscape than most people, and much prefer el campo undulado to, for example, the seemingly endless flat of the area after Albacete on the Levante.
picos1.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am not an experienced hiker or anything but am interested in doing the northern route from Santandar. I'm worried I won't be able for it but fancy more of a challenge than the French route? Help! Pretty keen on trying the northern route but scared I won't be able. Should I struggle is there buses to next towns/villages? I will avoid doing that as much as possible though!

Nichola is undoubtedly back, for those reading and wondering now:
first the walk is not that bad, but it's difficult to predict how anyone can do...and even the most fit have a bad day, twist an ankle, etc.
so:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/camino-del-norte-public-transportation.516/
(info compiled by Castilian, just made into a PDF by me :))

I think public transportation options on the Norte are phenomenal. One afternoon, looking for a place to stop, I found a beautiful hotel on the beach (literally steps to water), and was given a huge room with large balcony overlooking said water. For the next two steps I took the train to and from start/end points in order to come back and stay at that hotel. OK, I was also avoiding persistent pestering in the albergues :rolleyes:, but I would have done it anyway to listen to the waves at night).

Last edited:
Nichola is undoubtedly back, for those reading and wondering now:
first the walk is not that bad, but it's difficult to predict how anyone can do...and even the most fit have a bad day, twist an ankle, etc.
so:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/camino-del-norte-public-transportation.516/
(info compiled by Castilian, just made into a PDF by me :))

I think public transportation options on the Norte are phenomenal. One afternoon, looking for a place to stop, I found a beautiful hotel on the beach (literally steps to water), and was given a huge room with large balcony overlooking said water. For the next two steps I took the train to and from start/end points in order to come back and stay at that hotel. OK, I was also avoiding persistent pestering in the albergues :rolleyes:, but I would have done it anyway to listen to the waves at night).

On the whole from Santander it is up and down but quite doable; however there are a few stiff short climbs such as after San Vincente de la Barquera and before arriving in Llanes. I found the most difficult day to be between Villaviciosa and Gijon with two long climbs out of deep valleys, particularly the first which is pretty much straight up 400 metres.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.