• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del Norte (first section) in May - info and buddies

Dam

Time of past OR future Camino
Comino del Norte (May 2017)
Dear all,

I am planning to do el Camino del Norte from San Sebastian to Bilbao between the 19th and 28th of May. Probably visit San Sebastian the 19th, start walking on the 20th from Irun and arrive in Bilbao the 26th, visit Bilbao the 27th, depart the day after. I still have to fully define things though, but I suppose that would be pretty much it.

It would be great to collect as much info as possible from people that have done the same route in the past years. For example, where I can find decent maps? And do I actually need detailed maps? Are there books or guides that are worth checking? I know about the Cicerone guide, but I see around that it has some very bad reviews...

Regarding the albergues, do I really need to book places in advance for this time of the year? I would not thing it's gonna be busy in May...

I am also looking for travel companions, in case some of you are attracted by the idea and want to share this amazing experience with me and other people. I am pretty sociable, easygoing y puedo hablar un poquito de espanol :). I have done many hikes in the past so I know the basics very well.

Looking forward to hear from you!
Cheers
Dam

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Dear all,

I am planning to do el Camino del Norte from San Sebastian to Bilbao between the 19th and 28th of May. Probably visit San Sebastian the 19th, start walking on the 20th from Irun and arrive in Bilbao the 26th, visit Bilbao the 27th, depart the day after. I still have to fully define things though, but I suppose that would be pretty much it.

It would be great to collect as much info as possible from people that have done the same route in the past years. For example, where I can find decent maps? And do I actually need detailed maps? Are there books or guides that are worth checking? I know about the Cicerone guide, but I see around that it has some very bad reviews...

Regarding the albergues, do I really need to book places in advance for this time of the year? I would not thing it's gonna be busy in May...

I am also looking for travel companions, in case some of you are attracted by the idea and want to share this amazing experience with me and other people. I am pretty sociable, easygoing y puedo hablar un poquito de espanol :). I have done many hikes in the past so I know the basics very well.

Looking forward to hear from you!
Cheers
Dam
Hello Dam,

I walked the Del Norte/Primitivo last spring, starting April 22nd. Most of the knowledge I gained was from this wonderful forum. I did use the Ciccerone guide and it was kind of difficult to get used to initially as I was used to the Brierley guide for the Frances route. The Ciccerone guide did provide a wealth of helpful information and I used it daily for finding the albergues and grocery/restaurant options along the way. For me, it was the maps I found to be lacking, but the Way is quite well marked.

I did occasionally resort to hostels or pensions to break up a few longer stretches but only booked ahead a couple of times. You will love this route, it is very lovely!

Hello Dam-

Have you also posted your request on the forum page that is specific to the Camino Norte? Lots of great info there about the route from others who have completed it.

I am planning to start in Irun on May 18th so will be in the area about the same time as you. Good luck with your plans and finding walking buddies.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Doing El Norte this december, I ended up with full use of the app "Buen Camino"......leaving in the dark mornings...?......most helpful to give me peace of mind when "lost".......works a treat

((SAN Sebastian airport provided a small/compact guide from 2012 for free...enjoyed the maps aswell))

Buen Camino

Doing El Norte this december, I ended up with full use of the app "Buen Camino"......leaving in the dark mornings...?......most helpful to give me peace of mind when "lost".......works a treat

((SAN Sebastian airport provided a small/compact guide from 2012 for free...enjoyed the maps aswell))

Buen Camino

Hi PlutseligPilegrim,
thanks!
yeah I saw there are many apps out there and I am definitively gonna trying one or two out, however I personally prefer an old-school type of guide.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.