• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del norte from biarritz cathedral.

Andrew2019

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello all, I am going to be walking the del norte in late April/ early may 2022.
I'm flying into Biarritz and would like to start at the cathedral there.
I've a few questions.
Can I obtain a credential there and my first stamp.
Is there a route out of the city to towards Irun.
And any places to stay on the way.
I've walked a few camino's back in 2019 so I know mostly about the route but not my first bit.
Thanks Andrew.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello all, I am going to be walking the del norte in late April/ early may 2022.
I've a few questions.
I've walked a few camino's back in 2019 so I know mostly about the route but not my first bit.
Thanks Andrew.

As far as I know there is no cathedral in Biarritz ( lots of common churches yes ) . Do you mean Bayonne?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You can order a credential in advance from the Forum Store.

St. Eugenie near the Grand Plage would be as good as any, it never crossed my mind to seek out a sello there. However, I have purchased a credential and had it stamped in the Cathedral in Bayonne. To depart from Biarritz it is quite simple, just follow the main road D-911 southwest past the Cite de l'Ocean toward Bidart. There are a few arrows at the top of the hill before you reach Bidart that lead you to the right to the Corniche to St. Jean de Luz. It is a lovely walk and there are many summer resort towns all the way to Irun with hotels.

I've a few questions.
Thanks Andrew.
Andrew,
After you land at Biarritz Anglet airport you might want an inexpensive place to stay. A nearby youth hostel is Nami house.

Happy planning and Buen camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You can start your walk from the airport itself! If so, you’ll likely skip the Bayonne Cathedral since it’s in the wrong direction, but if you have the time and energy that detour is worth it! Plus you CAN buy a credential and stamp there!

If you skip Bayonne, head straight to the coast and turn left! You can walk on the street above the shore basically all the way to St Jean de Luz - some of it’s marked, some isn’t, but you won’t get lost. We found no “pilgrim” lodging along that route until reaching San Sebastián, but there were a few cheaper housing options - definitely check the usual (booking.com, Google maps) to see if they’ll be open when you walk and due to lingering Covid concerns.

It’s a lovely walk to Irun and we’ll worth the effort. Not as cheap or supported as a regular Camino route, but quite delightful.

DM me if you want more info - we walked in October 2021.

St. Eugenie near the Grand Plage would be as good as any, it never crossed my mind to seek out a sello there. However, I have purchased a credential and had it stamped in the Cathedral in Bayonne. To depart from Biarritz it is quite simple, just follow the main road D-911 southwest past the Cite de l'Ocean toward Bidart. There are a few arrows at the top of the hill before you reach Bidart that lead you to the right to the Corniche to St. Jean de Luz. It is a lovely walk and there are many summer resort towns all the way to Irun with hotels.
Hello Thank you so much for the information.
It's a great help thank you.
St Engenie is where I was planning to start.

You can start your walk from the airport itself! If so, you’ll likely skip the Bayonne Cathedral since it’s in the wrong direction, but if you have the time and energy that detour is worth it! Plus you CAN buy a credential and stamp there!

If you skip Bayonne, head straight to the coast and turn left! You can walk on the street above the shore basically all the way to St Jean de Luz - some of it’s marked, some isn’t, but you won’t get lost. We found no “pilgrim” lodging along that route until reaching San Sebastián, but there were a few cheaper housing options - definitely check the usual (booking.com, Google maps) to see if they’ll be open when you walk and due to lingering Covid concerns.

It’s a lovely walk to Irun and we’ll worth the effort. Not as cheap or supported as a regular Camino route, but quite delightful.

DM me if you want more info - we walked in October 2021.
Hello, Thank you everyone for your help.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I've a few questions.
Thanks Andrew.
Hi Andrew, I've started in 2017 directly from Biarritz airport terminal and got my first stamp into my credential (bought in advance here at the forum from Ivar's e-shop) from the customs officer in the arrivals hall. There's a way how to go under the highway (check online maps) and come to bidart. From there the yellow arrows will lead the way...I loved the way before Irun. Enjoy!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.