• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Camino del Norte from Bordeaux

er325

First timer here. I had a few posts on here before the forum re-set. I was deciding between the Frances and the Norte but have 99% settled on the Norte to avoid the heat and the crowds. As a plus, I know German, so can utilize the go-to guidebook everyone is talking about.

I am leaving the US for Spain on June 24. I have ~40 days to walk the Camino del Norte and was thinking of starting in Bordeaux so I could have the opportunity to see more things and walk more if I feel strong. I am fine taking buses if I fall behind or decide to stay an extra day or two in a city. It is not possible to walk to Finisterre because I am meeting my mom 100 km outside Santiago at around day 35 and we will have just enough time to walk to Santiago, maybe bus it to Finisterre and spend a day in Madrid before flying out.

I wanted to know if anyone has started in Bordeaux before and continued on to the Camino del Norte? Should I be booking my accommodations on the route from Bordeaux to Irun ahead of time? I have read a few posts about people walking from Bordeaux but they went to SJPP. Anyway I would love to hear about your experiences. I feel like I can't get enough info about the Norte--I mean it is adequate, but I need more fodder for my daydreams!

On a side note, I just ordered my pacer poles today and even though I work 60 hours a week and have a biochem final coming up, I feel like I am dreaming about the Camino non-stop :). It really does keep me going, I was so tired of this life, this grind, until I got called to the Camino!!

-Elizabeth

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Elizabeth, like you, me and my two walking companions had a brief flirtation with the idea of starting in Bordeaux, that is where our flight comes in. But apart from a few places it was a real struggle finding Gites to cover all the sections. Another idea we are having is starting in Saint Jean Pied De Port and walking along the nieve valley to Hendaye that would take 3/4days, there is places to stay, one of our forum members(FatmaG) writes about it in her expereince of walking along the Piedmont route http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/the-piemont/topic10239.html, the advantage of doing that is you get to see SJPDP.

A lot of people walk the Norte in 30-35 days, but do not underestimate that caminos ability to throw a lot of obstacles(mental and physical) in your way. There are lots of little detours to other places along the Norte, maybe as you went along you could us any excess time to go to these places.

Whatever you do you will have an adventure.

Buen Camino

Mike

Elizabeth, did you end up walking from Bordeaux and how did you find accommodation if you did? Did you pre-book, find a bed on the day, have trouble?
And if you did, what was your actual distance from Bordeaux to Santiago?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Back