Search 60,048 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

Camino del Norte guidebook?

Dawn Gibson

Past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago from SJPDP 2018
Hola 👋 I would like to buy a guidebook on the Camino del Norte and wondered which ones my fellow-pilgrims here used?📚 I walked with John Brierly's guidebook on the Camino Frances and loved it.👌

Any suggestions and experiences to share, please? 😊 I am initially looking to gain a feel for this northern route (no current plans in place to walk it at the moment, but I am always hopeful of the future. 🙏💚)

Thanks in advance.🚶💚

2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
Past OR future Camino
My preference is the Village to Village guide book. I carry the paper copy because it is very thin and light. However, I carry ALL the other guidebooks on my iPhone, either as an app or in Books or Kindle. Having walked with German speaking Swiss peregrinos, I would have to say the German Kustenweg book is the best and most detailed. But it is easily the heaviest and I don't speak German. Buen Camino

Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Past OR future Camino
Latest: Rota Vicentina '19; Portuguese '19.
Hola 👋 I would like to buy a guidebook on the Camino del Norte and wondered which ones my fellow-pilgrims here used?📚 I walked with John Brierly's guidebook on the Camino Frances and loved it.👌
I too loved the Brierley guidebook for the Frances, especially his simple to follow maps. I was initially disappointed he did not have a guidebook for the Norte/Primitivo routes, so I opted for this one in 2016. Once I familiarized myself with it, I could appreciate the differences and had no problem.
Screenshot_20220119-094712~2.png

Past OR future Camino
cf (2), de la plata, cp. (2003 -2018)

Any suggestions and experiences to share, please? 😊 I am initially looking to gain a feel for this northern route (no current plans in place to walk it at the moment, but I am always hopeful of the future. 🙏💚)

Thanks in advance.🚶💚
CICERONE publish a book entitled : THE NORTHERN CAMINOS which includes the NORTE, PRIMITIVO and INGLES routes. It is an excellent book and I have loaned it out many times. If you cannot get it , I will post it to you. Only on loan of course.

Samarkand.

Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
Past OR future Camino
CDN, Primitivo, Sanabrés, Portugués, Ruta do Mar,
My apologies, I need to correct my previous response. I stated that John's Brierly's CDN guidebook would be an excellent choice without knowing if indeed he had one. I used his Camino Portugués one in 2019 and just bought his new Camino Inglés guidebook and I do think they are excellent.

Past OR future Camino
They are all good, each different, all useful. I buy and read all the latest I can find before I walk my next Camino, carry the most appropriate (usually lightest) in paper form (with unnecessary pages cut out) and all the rest on my iPhone. Don't want to miss anything. The 2022 Wise Pilgrim Guide to the Camino Frances is on the way to me from Ivar's shop as I type. Eagerly awaiting it. Buen Camino

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances

Thanks in advance.🚶💚
Check out the Cicerone Press guide to del Norte and Primitivo, by Dave Whitson. They also do guide books to several other pilgrim routes. I’m planning to walk the Camino Frances in April using their guide written by Sandy Brown. Happy reading. https://cicerone.co.uk pilgrim trails

trecile

Staff member
Past OR future Camino
PAST - Francés, Norte, Salvador, Portuguese
For those who might be interested JB explains in this talk why he hasn't written a guide to the Norte

If you don't have time to watch the whole thing you can skip to 16:18 for his explanation.
Basically, it's because he doesn't have time to walk that route regularly with all of its variants to keep the guide updated.

The video should be cued up to that part on this link

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Camino Magnets

PeterArrow

Past OR future Camino
Frances, Norte, Portugese. Next from Faro

Thanks in advance.🚶💚
Used the Rother on line book. With perfect GPS maps. If the language is a problem you can load it with Google Chrome. Then it’s automatically translated.

Dawn Gibson

Past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago from SJPDP 2018
CICERONE publish a book entitled : THE NORTHERN CAMINOS which includes the NORTE, PRIMITIVO and INGLES routes. It is an excellent book and I have loaned it out many times. If you cannot get it , I will post it to you. Only on loan of course.

Samarkand.
Thank you. 😊 I will try and get hold of it. I've used Cicerone books before and liked them.

Past OR future Camino
Latest: Rota Vicentina '19; Portuguese '19.
Yes, Dave Whitson is!
I always look at Gronze's website, but also have always purchased a guidebook months before I go on my next Camino, especially if choosing a new route. I add many notes in the margins with information gleaned from forum members🙏. Before I finally leave home I do a quick 15 minute screenshot scanning of all the pages and now I leave the guidebook at home, yet still have all pertinent information at my fingertips.

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances May-July 2015
Planning I purchased both cicerone guide and wise pilgrim 2022. I will take wise pilgrim with me in June. I like the maps better. Also have wise pilgrim app on my phone but I like to look at a map on paper.

David with new Kit!

Past OR future Camino
2019 SJPP to Logroño
2021 Logroño - SDC
I just received the Wise Pilgrim Camino del Norte book from Ivar, it compliments the app very well. Having been used to the Brierley books it was a bit strange at first but I quickly came to like the format.

andarapie

Past OR future Camino
I used Cicerone's Guide to the Camino del Norte and Primitivo by Dave Whitson, and found it particularly helpful for variant routes that might be more interesting and for which sites (manmade or natural) to see, whether on or near the camino or in a town. I also bought the Village to Village guide, but it was not helpful to me - it just has maps (which I can get from Google or other online sources) and addresses of albergues and hostels - so I left it at home.

For which albergues are open, and ratings on them, the most up to date guide was Gronze.com. Wise Pilgrim also had helpful ratings, and gps with their maps. (Some other map sites have this, too, but not Google - it doesn't show the Camino or GR routes.)

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Camino Magnets

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 104 ratings
Downloads
Updated