• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Del Norte in 10-12 days - where to start

Time of past OR future Camino
2016 fall
My wife and I plan on walking the Camino Del Norte in Sept 2016. We are hoping to walk about 15-20 miles per day but only have about 10-12 days to complete the pilgrimage. What is the most realistic start point? What city should we fly to from the US? Thank you in advance for the help.
Hilary and Kevin

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
What do you mean by "to complete the pilgrimage"? Do you want to get to Santiago?

If not, th most beautiful part of that route is starting in Irun. You could make it as far as Bilbao. Take at look at this site: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/del-norte/.

To get there, fly to Paris, then to Biarritz. Fly out back to Paris out of Bilbao.

What do you mean by "to complete the pilgrimage"? Do you want to get to Santiago?

If not, th most beautiful part of that route is starting in Irun. You could make it as far as Bilbao. Take at look at this site: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/del-norte/.

To get there, fly to Paris, then to Biarritz. Fly out back to Paris out of Bilbao.

Thank you for the reply....we would like to end in Santiago, but need a reasonable start point. I believe we can walk about 18-20 miles per day but only have 10-12 days to complete the walk. This is a pilgrimage for us so it is important that we end in Santiago. Is it feasible to start in Gijon and end in Santiago in 10-12 days? Any help is very much appreciated.

Hilary

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello Hilary. It is app. 330 km from Gyon to Santiago (dont know how much this is in miles). Dont know how fit you are, but
I think you have to walk fast if you want to do this in 10-12 days (it took me longer) & I think it is never a good idea to be in a rush.
I do not know if you have chosen the Norte already, or are open for other possibilities. For example. If you walk from Porto (Camino Portuguese) of Oviedo (Primitivo) you can walk to Santiago in 10-12 days.
Marc.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi,

I am returning week to complete the norther route. By my reckoning it is feasible to walk from Aviles situated on the coastline and walk onto Santiago in 12 days. Gijon is the nearest big city just before it in terms of transport access. The walk out of it GIJON however, is not supposed to be attractive based on my guide book so that is why it might make sense to start in Aviles.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.