• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del Norte in 2 weeks

katkingham

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte
Hello! A friend and I really want to do the Camino, but as we are both students we can only afford 2 weeks. We really want to do the Northern Route in May, but we need to condense it. We are willing to either start late or bus over some sections. We are looking for suggested start points or the less exciting sections to skip. I hate to have to miss any of this beautiful route, but it is the only way.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Both advices, walking from Iron to Santander or the Camino Primitivo, are worth considering. The advantage from walking from Irun to Santander is that you walk along the sea with views on the mountains. The advantage of the Primitivo is that it is a mountainous route, that it is a "complete" camino, it finishes in Santiago. Many people finish the Camino del Norte by walking the Norte. If you love the sea the primitivo is not suited, you won't see it at all

We started in San Sebastian and skipped over the larger cities in September 2017. I read a few books and blogs while planning our route, and it seemed that the transition from walking through nature to the arrival in Bilbao or Santander would be “jarring” based on what I read. I wanted our first Camino experience to be tranquil. Plus, I have family near Markina-Xemein, so we made a 2-night stop there to visit 44 Basque cousins. That wasn’t tranquil, but boy was it fun! In any case, we followed the following route before we jumped ahead to Oviedo to do the Primitivo:
  • San Sebastian – Getaria
  • Getaria – Deba
  • Deba – Markina-Xemein
  • Markina – Gernika (Jumped ahead to Portugalete)
  • Portugalete – Castro Urdiales
  • Castro Urdiales – Laredo (Jumped ahead to Santillana del Mar)
  • Santillana del Mar – Comillas
  • Comillas – Unquera
  • Unquera – Llanes
  • Llanes – Ribadesella
  • Ribadesella - Colunga
We were planning to do the entire Camino del Norte (starting in Irun and staying on the Norte) this September, but we made a major move this year, so we’re delaying that Camino until September 2020, when we won’t jump ahead. Our training in Park City UT will be a lot different from our 2017 training in SoCal.

Have fun, enjoy the sounds of nature along “the Way”: leaves rustling, creeks babbling, cows mooing, cowbells ringing, birds singing…. Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I don't jump ahead or skip stages but started 8 days ago in Bilbao and walked to Gijón, arriving today. I averaged about 41 km a day so if you would half that you have a great 2 week Camino.

Why don't you do 2 weeks and come back next year to complete it in another 2 weeks?

All good suggestions but I loved Irun and first couple of weeks in Basque Country and Cantabria. Also loved the Primitivo and if getting to Santiago is important to you then it’s doable

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello! A friend and I really want to do the Camino, but as we are both students we can only afford 2 weeks. We really want to do the Northern Route in May, but we need to condense it. We are willing to either start late or bus over some sections. We are looking for suggested start points or the less exciting sections to skip. I hate to have to miss any of this beautiful route, but it is the only way.

We are doing the Del Norte in October 2019. We are going from San Sebastian to Balboa. Did you stay in Hostles/Albergues? If you did this route please share any of the great hostels/albergues. thanks Maria

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.