• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del Norte in April/May 2015?

simpleton

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del norte (2015)
Hi there, I'm planning on doing the Camino del Norte in April/May 2015. Is it possible to start this camino in Biarritz? If not, do you suggest hiking from Biarritz to Irun? Do you collect your credencial in Irun, and if so, where? And finally, what is the average length of this camino? I'm really just going to take my time, but it would be nice to get some sort of idea. I'm a first-time camino-er, but I'm determined to do the Camino del Norte!

Thanks so much in anticipation!
Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi there,

Yes its possible to start in Biarrtitz, I haven't done this stretch myself, but I've read that it is a really nice walk and a good way to start the Norte. You can get a credencial by ordering on this forum, or pick one up at the alberge in Irun. There are lots of posts on this forum with suggested itineraries for walking the length of the Norte, but if you are taking your time and average 20 km a day, then 800 km would take 40 days. Remember that it is very hilly in the early stages between Irun and Bilbao, and you should add 25% to your daily length to cover the up and down hill effort. I did the Norte as my first camino in May / June 2013 and had a great time, it is a fabulous walk.
For details of accommodation and suggested walking stages and maps check out this link
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/del-norte/

Last edited:
Hola and welcome to the forum

Get your credentials from this forum, your local Confraternity of Saint James, the albergue in Biarritz/Irun or at most local Tourist Informations.
It would be easiest to get it before your departure, so you don't have to think about it once in France/Spain.
I have not walked this stretch myself but it is said to be 2-3 days.
This thread has some information about it:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...t-norte-route-irun-bilboa-or-santander.13746/

All guides have different lenghts of the Caminos as well as pilgrims with GPS track different lengths.
In one guide Norte is 830 km. but if you opt to walk Primitivo, which is 320 km., then you you have to do some calculation to find the exact length.
Either route should have approximately the same length.
Add Finisterre/Muxia to your total length as another 87-113 km.

This thread discuss some of the thoughts connected with March/April Norte.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...onth-info-needed-por-favor.23481/#post-179170

Happy planning and Buen Camino.
Lettinggo

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am planning to do the same walk about the same time. In April/May,2014 I walked CF. Plan to start from Irun because I will fly into Madrid, and Biarritz being in France, it would be a little bit inconvenient to get there unless I miss something important. I am wondering if there is a good English guide book. Unless it is very heavy, I rather have something I can quickly look up rather than looking into my iPhone.
Secondly, do you think Fitbit type of gadget is worth carrying in this type of trip? If so, I will ask my family for one this Christmas.
Sorry, I am piggybacking on someone else's question.

Tominrm:

This is a great Camino, possibly my favorite.

That said, it is a tough start. If you have lots of time I would definitely recommend you break with the suggested etapa's in several guides. This Camino has many beautiful ocean views and some great communal Albergues. April is also a good time to walk to avoid more congested periods.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Tominrm,

There is a good English guide book called The Northern Caminos see this link to find details
http://www.cicerone.co.uk/product/informationSheet.cfm?isbn=9781852846817.
The author Dave is a contributing member to this forum, and posts updates and information on this here.

I confess to being an IT dinosaur, so don't know what a Fitbit gadget is and therefore can't proffer an opinion on it. I walked the Norte in spring 2013 and didn't take a guide, other than a very basic and rather inaccurate one I got from the Tourist Information preferring to wing it. Generally speaking the hospitaleros are well informed about the next days walking and and can tell you your options, it often boils down to the choice of walking to the two next albergs say 15 or 22km. The Norte is a great walk, I really enjoyed it, and hope you do too.

As I understand it a Fitbit tells you how far you walked, floors climbed, workouts, heart rate, sleep periods. No GPS though, so no breadcrumb trail. Most smartphones do have GPS (and lots of apps to use the GPS) but battery drain is significant. I looked at the Garmin Forerunner 15 but decided it was money I did not have and did not need to spend.

Just follow the yellow arrows.

Ondo Ibili !

I agree with Mendi. I did get a gps last year for the Camino Olvidado but very much disliked the fact that after a day, I found myself using it as my primary source of directions. So, I put it away in my pack and let the gps track my walk so that some of my friends who are GPS fanatics could see where I walked, elevation, etc. But I decided I would take it out only when I was lost, and even on the untraveled and sometimes remote Camino Olvidado, I only needed it at one spot. At that one spot, however, it did REALLY help me out, so I was glad I had it. Battery usage is enormous, I have a Garmin Dakota.

For the other caminos I have walked, I would never recommend a GPS. I would only bring one if I knew the camino had some remote spots that were not near civilization. Invierno no, Cami Sant Jaume, maybe, still haven't decided. Buen camino, Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
On the CF (if starting at SJPdP) you have a 'mountain' start, flat parts in the middle, 'mountainish' ending.
On the somewhat longer C del Norte I found that it keeps going up and down, up and down, neverending.
And sometimes, take of your shoes and walk through the water!
At some point (near Oviedo) you can choose to continue the Del Norte or pick the (mountainous!) CPrimitivo.

There are several smartphone apps with offline maps that tell you the route (gpx trails) and your position (no internet connection needed).
Keeping track of all you walk will probably drain the battery, never tried that on longer camino's.
Not convinced to add a seperate gps system.

And Simpleton, it's subjective...
I walked both CF and CdelN. Both OK. But I have idea that the CF has more of the 'camino feeling' (whatever!), more nationalities, more variation in landscape, more 'feeling' with the way. It's just my idea.

Hi guys, thanks for all the help. I am planning on doing the CdN because it passes through San Sebastian, and it's kind of a joke between my friend, Sebastian, and myself that I'll be going through San Sebastian, sans Sebastian. Unfortunately he isn't able to join me. I'm not that techno-savvy, so I'm guessing if I get lost, someone will find me… eventually. It's all part of it, right?

Its actually remarkably difficult to get lost, the yellow arrows are very prominent and as Mendiwalker says, just follow them.... the difficult part is when you get home and find there are none to follow...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi there, I'm planning on doing the Camino del Norte in April/May 2015. Is it possible to start this camino in Biarritz? If not, do you suggest hiking from Biarritz to Irun? Do you collect your credencial in Irun, and if so, where? And finally, what is the average length of this camino? I'm really just going to take my time, but it would be nice to get some sort of idea. I'm a first-time camino-er, but I'm determined to do the Camino del Norte!

Buen Camino!

I have a Jawbone Up 24 and loved it for the Camino for one reason: it serves as an alarm clock by vibrating on your arm. This way you do not wake everyone up with your cell or other type of alarm. Other than that, nice to have to know how much you have walked, but your guides, and everyone else will tell you that at the albergue. If the Fitbit has the vibrating alarm, by all means bring it with you. Fellow pilgrims will love you for it.

Tominrm:

This is a great Camino, possibly my favorite.

That said, it is a tough start. If you have lots of time I would definitely recommend you break with the suggested etapa's in several guides. This Camino has many beautiful ocean views and some great communal Albergues. April is also a good time to walk to avoid more congested periods.

Ultreya,
Joe
Joe, I am not familiar with the use of this board. I know you have offered to help me at least twice. I meant to follow up with your offer later, but can't find your contact info again after viewing it once. Somehow can't read alert twice.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have a Jawbone Up 24 and loved it for the Camino for one reason: it serves as an alarm clock by vibrating on your arm. This way you do not wake everyone up with your cell or other type of alarm. Other than that, nice to have to know how much you have walked, but your guides, and everyone else will tell you that at the albergue. If the Fitbit has the vibrating alarm, by all means bring it with you. Fellow pilgrims will love you for it.

I had several Jawbone up bands. They were great for walking locally and counting my steps. That said, after about 5 days walking the Camino it stopped functioning two years in a row. After three different bands, I gave up on this device. Possibly all the sweating but it was supposed to be waterproof. It also became inconsistent on holding a charge, possibly the long daily walking. It did have some nice features including the vibrating alarm clock. At $125., I expected a more reliable product.

The company did provide replacements and has great Customer service but after three bands in two years I gave up on it. Your version might be a better model.

Ultreya,
Joe

Joe, I am not familiar with the use of this board. I know you have offered to help me at least twice. I meant to follow up with your offer later, but can't find your contact info again after viewing it once. Somehow can't read alert twice.

Tominrm:

Sent another PM in response to your PM. That method of communication or my email are fine for communication.

Joe

Buen Camino!

Hi Simpleton,
The hostel in Irun has credenciales for a couple of Euros. Average length is 807 km or so, just don't get lost, cause that way it'll be longer . . .
Taking your time is a great idea, There are a couple of long days,, day 1 being one of them, but the amazing scenery will keep you going. It can be wet so bring proper rain gear. Buen Camino !

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Re: fitbit

I walked the Camino With a FiBit Zip two years ago. I thought that it was great because it was a easy way to estimate how far Id come and how much walking I had let without pulling out the map or the information overload that you wold get from using a GPS. It helped me keep that spontaneous feeling that is so great on the Camino On the two occassions thaetI did get lost, knowing howfar I had com helped me pinpoint where I on the map. Not to mention, as someone who is not the best at eating when I need too, having the FitBit app pester me to eat more calories was also super helpful.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi pilgrims , last year i had some spare days and i walked from Irun to Santander , so my plan for this year was to start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago in 24 days . It turned out that i can...
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.