• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del Norte in April

Isabeila

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2017)
Norte (2018)
Frances (2019)
I booked a flight to Biarritz the 4th of April 2018 and was originally planning on walking Camino Frances. Now I am doubting my decision and wishing to walk Camino del Norte. I have one huge question about accommodation though!

– Are the albergues on Camino del Norte open by the time I start walking?
– How many fellow pilgrims should I expect to be walking too?

I know about www.gronze.com for accommodation, but it doesn't say if they are open or not. I wish to ONLY sleep in albergues :) If anyone have any other information about walking Camino del Norte during April I would love to hear about it!

Thank you :)
______________________________________________________________________________________________

For those interested, I decided to head off to Camino del Norte and am beyond exited. If anyone will be walking around the same time as me, feel free to write me a message. Buen Camino thank you for all you input!

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I booked a flight to Biarritz the 4th of April 2018 and was originally planning on walking Camino Frances. Now I am doubting my decision and wishing to walk Camino del Norte. I have one huge question about accommodation though!

– Are the albergues on Camino del Norte open by the time I start walking?
– How many fellow pilgrims should I expect to be walking too?

I know about www.gonze.com for accommodation, but it doesn't say if they are open or not. I wish to ONLY sleep in albergues :)

If anyone have any other information about walking Camino del Norte during April I would love to hear about it!

Thank you :)
That link really won't help with accommodation on the Norte. I should try www.gronze.com if I were you :)

And Gronze does supply info on opening times. You have to click on the accommodation name to open further details. As in: https://www.gronze.com/pais-vasco/guipuzcoa/irun/albergue-peregrinos-irun

The Camino del Norte will be quiet in April. If you look at the statistics from last year: a total of 193 pilgrims who started in Irun finished in April, with this going up to 549 finishing in May. That averages out at about 12 pilgrims per stage, at least for the first few stages from Irun. Other pilgrims will also join along the way, but if you look at the statistics the numbers are quite low even for pilgrims starting in bigger cities like Santander or Gijon.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Many pilgrims will start over the Easter period so that you might find a few more than when Easter falls later. Many places open for Easter onwards so that should be good. As @Tincatinker says the gronze site is best place to look.

Hello Isabeila, I will be starting the Nirte en Irun on the 4 !! I have been reading about it and it is in beggining of April that most albergues open, specially this year being after Easter. Looking forward to meeting you along the way !!!

When I said the 4 , I meant to say April 4 !!!
The guide book that I have is the Rother.
Buen Camino !!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Camino del Norte will be quiet in April. If you look at the statistics from last year: a total of 193 pilgrims who started in Irun finished in April, with this going up to 549 finishing in May. That averages out at about 12 pilgrims per stage, at least for the first few stages from Irun. Other pilgrims will also join along the way, but if you look at the statistics the numbers are quite low even for pilgrims starting in bigger cities like Santander or Gijon.
Hi everyone,
I will be starting around April 18th doing the Norte so from your statistics, am I right in saying there will only be about 12 or so pilgrims I may encounter ( didn't realise so few people ) ? As I'll be on my own hoping to meet others, this does affect things somewhat. Any thoughts people ?

Hi everyone,
I will be starting around April 18th doing the Norte so from your statistics, am I right in saying there will only be about 12 or so pilgrims I may encounter ( didn't realise so few people ) ? As I'll be on my own hoping to meet others, this does affect things somewhat. Any thoughts people ?

The statistics are the official numbers from the pilgrim office in Santiago. I looked at the total numbers of pilgrims arriving from Irun in April and May and divided it by 60 to get a daily average. According to this calculation, someone who started in Irun in April would meet around 12 people for the first few days, but then an extra 2 or 3 people would join per day in Bilbao, and then an extra 1 or 2 per day in Santander. So the numbers will steadily increase, but they will still be relatively low in April.

There are literally ten times the number of pilgrims leaving per day from St Jean Pied de Port over the same period. The Camino del Norte is very different to the Frances in terms of numbers. It only accounts for 3 to 4% of total pilgrims! So unless you meet a camino buddy/ family to walk with consistently, it is highly possible that you won't see anybody until you get to the albergue. Also, there are fewer albergues and many pilgrims decide to stay in hotels as they are very cheap. If you want to meet people, then I'd definitely recommend doing the Camino Frances, as this is very much the "sociable" camino.

Last edited:
Hi fellow peregrinos y peregrinas!

I will be starting my camino del norte from Irun on April 22nd. My understanding from readings on this forum and other resources that albergues normally open right after Easter.

Buen camino a todos :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi dear peregrinos y peregrinas! :)

I will be starting my camino del norte from Irun on April 27nd. I plan to get to Finisterre on June 6th. I'll be flying back home on June 8th.

I have one question. My flight is from Venice to Bilbao. Does anyone have an information if there is a train going from Bibao to Irun? One girl told me she went to Irun (from Bilbao) by train, but I can't find a train-conection from Bilbao to Irun on the internet. She said she arranged everything at the Bilbao airport, but can't remember the details. Any information is very wellcome :)

Buen camino :)

Last edited:
Hi dear peregrinos y peregrinas! :)

I will be starting my camino del norte from Irun on April 27nd. I plan to get to Finisterre on June 6th. I'll be flying back home on June 8th.

I have one question. My flight is from Venice to Bilbao. Does anyone have an information if there is a train going from Bibao to Irun? One girl told me she went to Irun (from Bilbao) by train, but I can't find a train-conection from Bilbao to Irun on the internet. She said she arranged everything at the Bilbao airport, but can't remember the details. Any information is very wellcome :)

Buen camino :)

Bus from Bilbao to San Sebastián and train from there to Irún. Train runs very frequent

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.