• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del Norte in April?

eowyn_alva

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés in 2018.
Hi everyone. This is my first time posting here and I need some advice. I walked the Francés last august and it was wonderful (maybe a bit hot). I would like to walk the del Norte but I have to start in the beginning of April. I know that it rains A LOT that time of year so I'm a little bit nervous to be honest. Also, I really like people and loved the social aspect of the Francés, will it be different on the del Norte? Especially in April? I'm a bit afraid to be by myself most of the time. I did walk alone a lot on the Francés but I loved that I could always walk with someone if I wanted too. Also I'm in my mid twenties and fairly athletic so I'm not scared of how hard the trail is rather that I will be the only one my age? Thanks everyone.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We walked the Norte last year April ,May, very quiet no problem with accommodation you do not need to book ahead,remote in places no cafes or bars not like the Frances, be prepared for mud and rain along the coast.quite a bit of road walking but stunningly beautiful along the coast, in my opinion far more scenic than other caminos,we have walked from Lisboa,santiago to Muxia, Fisterra, Porto along coast and the interior route enjoy a great experience, ps am over 70 and terrain and distances no problem.

We walked the Norte last year April ,May, very quiet no problem with accommodation you do not need to book ahead,remote in places no cafes or bars not like the Frances, be prepared for mud and rain along the coast.quite a bit of road walking but stunningly beautiful along the coast, in my opinion far more scenic than other caminos,we have walked from Lisboa,santiago to Muxia, Fisterra, Porto along coast and the interior route enjoy a great experience, ps am over 70 and terrain and distances no problem.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not worried about acommodation tho but I'm worried about the way being to solitary that time of year. I'm very social and would love to meet lots of people. Was it really quiet when you walked and did you meet any young people on the way?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We met very few perigrinos on the Norte sometimes two or three and some young people mostly from Germany, but every year is different, I think this camino is one for those liking solitude though the big cities you pass through, Gijon,Santander etc are always busy.

I walked some of it in May 2 years ago. I was with my cousin and we did meet people each night in the albergues. I think you will meet people as April coincides with Easter and this will draw more pilgrims to el Norte. It is very beautiful. Enjoy

April will be fairly quiet, except maybe around Easter time (although I walked around Easter time last year, and there were only ever maximum 10 people in the albergues). Almost everyone I met last year was German, and a mix of ages (from 25 upwards). It's a very different experience to the Frances; if you're walking alone you might not see a single other pilgrim during the day. However because there are fewer pilgrims, you tend to bond more intensely, if that makes sense.

I spend a lot of time off-season on the Norte, and I find that it can sometimes feel more sociable than the Frances, which sounds contradictory.... but what happens is that because there are only a few of you, you tend to stick together, and you're less "anonymous" than you would be on the Frances. It's an incredibly beautiful camino, and I'm sure you'll meet some lovely pilgrims along the way.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I did the Norte in April, and yes it is a much more solitary path than the Frances at the same time of year. As said above - it is possible not to see another pilgrim for a full day, indeed, I barely saw any for the first two weeks, but those I did encounter were great fun. (i.e. to have a few cidras with) I found it was mostly Germans doing the path. Bring waterproofs! As it can rain all day as well, and worse get cold. That makes it quite tricky over higher land if you get a bit sweaty on a climb: For the first few days as there are long stretches in the hills where it can be difficult to find respite and warm up/get dry. Definitely one for the nature lovers and of course the sea is there for stolid company.

Not always easy to get stamps I found as well. This could be important if you do quick caminos and don't get enough stamps (so the office in Santiago did not believe that I had done it in 20 days as I did not have enough stamps, I had to show them my app to prove it- I found the Buen Camino app to be brilliant btw). For example in cafes etc if you ask for the stamp they probably won't have one in the early parts.

There are some awful stretches, through the back of Bilbao up to Portugalete and the factories near Gijon uurrgh! And a few stretches on/besides main roads. Head down and carry on at those points - however, the vast majority is lovely walking. Overall it's an amazing camino - and if you're fit and young as you it's a great camino to do in April. Best of luck!

Seeing as this thread has come alive again I would disagree about the back of Bilbao to Portugalete. I skipped this first time round as with friends who took a metro to far end of Bilbao. Went back alone prior to flight home and walked along the river to the very impressive bridge. Sorry now forgotten the name. I think it was interesting walking by the river through Bilbao's industrial past. Don't just skip it.

Paul, good info. Sounds like you have done the Frances and the Del Norte. Which did you prefer?

Thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sandy, both Caminos have their own rhythm and are equally wonderful, so I dont have a preference. I am an ex sailor who loves seas and oceans so really enjoyed walking along the cliffs and views on the Norte but I also enjoyed walking across the Meseta as it reminded me of the vast Canadian prairies and the huge open skies. Every Camino is unique and utterly different depending upon time of year walked which ever you choose take your time go at your own pace breathe in the culture and scenery, remember its your Camino you dont have to walk every step take a bus taxi etc . Buen Camino enjoy.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi pilgrims , last year i had some spare days and i walked from Irun to Santander , so my plan for this year was to start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago in 24 days . It turned out that i can...
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.