• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del Norte in October

josephleaf

Hi,

I'm planning my camino in October (and maybe into early Nov, depends on when I could start).

I"m deciding between Frances and Norte. I'd prefer the Norte as I would like more time on my own, as I've read that there are less pilgrim on the Norte.

It's hard to find info on the Norte in Oct, so if you have experience/info, please kindly assist:
- What's the weather like? Is it colder/wetter? How about rain? Is it cold in the evening? 10 deg C is considered cold to me.
- Is it harder to find Albergues / hostels in the Norte? Do they open in Oct?
- A sleeping bag seems necessary, should I also bring a tent in case I cant find a place to stay?
- Other than the CSJ guide, is there any other guide you would recommend?

Regards,
Joseph

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Joseph
I can't answer any of your del Norte questions.
This note is just to wish you well and buen camino.

David, Victoria, Canada

You might try PMing Mermaid Lilli She walked the Norte last year.

I did a beautiful but short section from Bilbao to Santander end of October last year. There was partial sunshine 2 days and rain 2 days. It was definitely wetter than along the Frances, which I had just walked.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We cycled Irun to Guernica (well, from Limoges really) last October (early in the month). Weather bright, nights quite cold, certainly need a sleeping bag. We then walked Guernica to San Vicente (nearly end of Cantabria) this April. We had fine weather almost all the two weeks, but others had it very wet in May. There are adequate albergues in the middle of the year (see the mundicamino site) but some were closed in April and would also be in October. If you have enough money to spend the occasional 25/30 euros on a one star hotel/pension then you will be fine.

Guides - well, the CSJ one is rather confusing, we think. We took a german one as well which was better but our german let us down. There are good spanish ones out there with maps. You could buy one at the albergue in Irun. Also each region has good regional guides with maps available in the tourist office. Always go to the tourist office - they know all sorts of useful things like which hotel does a deal for pilgrims (in Gernica we paid less for a night and an evening meal in the hotel than in the youth hostel).

There are quite a lot of route variations for the Norte, so collecting info as you get into a new area, talking to the hospitaleros and other pilgrims will help you decide as you go.

It's a very beautiful route, with views of sea and mountains, interesting towns and cities, cliff paths and countryside tracks. We'd be there now cycling from San Vicente to Santiago, except that we forgot to rescue our passports when all our belongings went into store, as we are between houses!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...
Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back