• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

camino del norte last week in july from santander

jimmyd

Time of past OR future Camino
walked from villafranca del bierzo to santiago october 2016
walked from porto to fistera august 2017
hi , arriving in santander on 27july ,will spend 2-3 days there and start walking on the saturday 30 july ..have planned to walk for 14 days from santander ..has anybody walked this route during the summer months and would i need to book accommodation before i leave ireland ,,this is the only time i have from work so restricited ..walked a section of camino de frances last october so want to try a different route ,, thanks

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
hi , arriving in santander on 27july ,will spend 2-3 days there and start walking on the saturday 30 july ..have planned to walk for 14 days from santander ..has anybody walked this route during the summer months and would i need to book accommodation before i leave ireland ,,this is the only time i have from work so restricited ..walked a section of camino de frances last october so want to try a different route ,, thanks
You will have to book, particularly in places that are not for pilgrims only as it will be high season and half of Spain will be on the coast. It is a lovely walk and you will enjoy it no doubt: history, architecture especially.

Don't miss the cave replicas at Altamira, the Collegiata in Santillana, the Gaudi Capricho and the university in Comillas. Do miss the albergue in San Vicente de la Barquerra but enjoy the grilled sardines and cider on the restaurant strip and make it up the hill to take a look at the fortress but especially to visit the church: it's a proptected monument with gorgeous volumes, and floors made of large slabs of wood, each one the cover of a grave. And the views are lovely, especially in the fog. And in Llanes take a look at the "Casas de Indianos", houses built by Spaniards who made $$$ in South America, and taste the Carbayones, the best pastry ever!

thanks a lot for info anemone .,already finding it difficult to find reasonable priced accommodation in santander ,might have to bring a tent ..

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, Jimmyd,

Welcome to the forum.

Have you tried this place? http://www.hostelsantander.com/ It's an albergue, but private so you can stay several days, unlike in the municipal. It's a great location. I have never stayed there, but was expecting to because of a late arrival into Santander. But there were spots available in the municipal albergue, so I went there.

And for your last night, you could just move over to the municipal so you can meet others starting out with you the next day!

My caution would be to realize that the first few days out of Santander are exclusively asphalt, and that can be really hard on your feet, on your tendons, and on your frame of mind.

I have stayed twice in the albergue in San Vicente, the first time I had a terrible experience, as a victim of the hospitalero's anti-US hostility. Second time, he must not have recognized me, and I was treated quite well. Truth be told, I probably wouldn't have stayed there the second time, but for the fact that I was starting the Camino Lebaniego-Vadiniense the next day and I knew that he had a lot of information.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.