Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

Camino del Norte - May 2016

how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).

ParistoCapeCod

"Come on mom this 14k isn't going to walk itself."
Past OR future Camino
Portuguese, Primitivo, Norte. Hospitalera

Dchell

Past OR future Camino
Sounds like your Norte trip wasn't what you had in mind. I was interested, because we are also going to go in 2017 in May and I was wondering about the weather. Since I have never done this, I have zero expectations, only to see nature and to find out if there is empty space somewhere in my head that I was missing out on.

Tania Reano Veitch

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances from SJPDP to Santiago (Fall 2013)
Camino del Norte from Irun to Santiago (May 6th, 2016 - ?)
Sounds like your Norte trip wasn't what you had in mind. I was interested, because we are also going to go in 2017 in May and I was wondering about the weather. Since I have never done this, I have zero expectations, only to see nature and to find out if there is empty space somewhere in my head that I was missing out on.

Hi Dchell. You're right. I found, after walking for a few days, that the Norte wasn't what I had in mind, but it may be perfect for someone else. I can tell you that if you are going to walk the Norte start from Irun. The first two days are incredibly beautiful.

It's perfect that you have no expectations and that you haven't walked a Camino before. That's key. This journey may be really amazing for you. I tried not to have expectations. I logically knew it would be a different experience from the French Way, but sometimes what you logically tell your mind isn't what your heart wants. I missed the pilgrim spirit and camaraderie that I experienced on my first Camino along the French Way, so when I got to Deba, I hopped on a train to San Sebastian and then a bus to Pamplona and began walking from there. The interesting thing was that I knew I had made a mistake in doing that too.

I've been back from Europe for a month and a half now. In all, I walked parts of two Camino's, the Norte and French Way, and then walked the San Salvador route from Leon to Oviedo. I did some other traveling as well. Even though my journey was scattered, the Camino always provides. It didn't give me what I expected or wanted, but it gave me what I needed and for that I am always thankful. There is much to write about!

So yes, if the Norte is calling you, then go. Find that empty space in your head, but don't look too hard, for in looking there is the expectation of finding. Let it come naturally.

Pilgrim Pouch carry bags with different designs
A lightweight carry bag handy for walking, biking, traveling, & Caminos
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads