• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del Norte, October

Juls458

Time of past OR future Camino
Francese
Hey guys, I need your advice.

I am from Russia, already have made Camino Francese, Portugese, Englese, Primitivo, Finisterre! :)
Now I want start del Norte from San Sebastian in October.
Before I was doing all the Caminos in August, so it was pretty hot..

What will be the weather these time in October?
Which clothes I must take?
What reccomendation can you give me?

Many thanks in advance,
Julia from Moscow :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
When I walked it until Llanes in late September temperatures got as high as 34 degrees! Still very hot. I also got only 1 day of rain in three weeks, but this was quite unusual. So I would say plan for hot and cooler temps by bringing layers, including a light fleece, a light sleepingbag and rain gear.

It's a beautiful route you will love.

I walked Irún-Bilbao last mid October and it never was hot but pleasant walking weather in t-shirt and 3/4 leggings. It did rain or actually pour arriving into San Sebastian but looking back at my pictures it was pretty good after that. Just remember that most of the municipal albergues close after September 30th. We were lucky that Irún and Bilbao stayed open a few weeks longer. Otherwise we found reasonable youth hostels or private albergues.

I did Bilbao-Ribadesilla this summer and although I enjoyed it, the first part in the País Vasco gets my vote.

Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Julia,

I'm also planning on departing from Irun along the Camino del Norte for Santiago on 14th/15th October. Perhaps we'll see each other along the way somewhere.

Having walked the Frances and Primitivo in September-October previously, I'm also hoping that it won't get too cold. I have long-sleeved shirts, trousers with zip-off legs, a lightweight jacket and thermal under layers if necessary, but I'm hoping not.

P.S. Oh yes, I have a fleece vest for the mornings.

If worse comes to worst, there are always shops!

Buen Camino. Regards, Brett

Last edited:
I will be setting off as late as middle of November
Hey guys, I need your advice.

I am from Russia, already have made Camino Francese, Portugese, Englese, Primitivo, Finisterre! :)
Now I want start del Norte from San Sebastian in October.
Before I was doing all the Caminos in August, so it was pretty hot..

What will be the weather these time in October?
Which clothes I must take?
What reccomendation can you give me?

Many thanks in advance,
Julia from Moscow :)

Hi Julia,

I will be setting off as late as middle November for my Camino o_O

I did the Camino Frances in 2013 Leaving 31st October and arriving 1st December to Santiago and then continuing on to the coast, I only had two half days of rain!

You will love it, being Scottish I would never last in the August heat, and I work until 1st November.

Good luck and enjoy

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.