• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Del Norte or Camino Frances? June 2017

Camino Del Norte or Camino Frances? June 2017

• Total voters
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would be interested in any responses to these questions as well. I completed the Frances in October of 2016 and have been trying to decide whether to try the Norte or not in the coming summer. I have purchased the cicerone guide book, and have downloaded the online pdf from this site for the accommodations on the route.

It is my understanding that there are less hikers on this route, and that it is not as established as the Frances. I have also been told that there are more German persons on this route owing to the best guidebook being the German guide book. I have not heard anything bad or dangerous regarding this route.

Though to reiterate. All of these things I have heard not experienced.

The Norte is now very popular with pilgrims from all over the world...just like the Camino Frances. I would compare it with the CF around 2009 or 2010.
Many first time European Pilgrims are electing to walk the Norte to avoid the crowds on the CF.
I walked in September and most of those starting in Irun or San Sabastian were first time pilgrims.
There were quite a few full albergues along the way. No lack of other walkers anywhere.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Some of my questions are:

1. Will I meet as many people from such a range of places such as Australia, New Zealand, the USA, Italy, Brazil, Sweden etc on the Camino Del Norte as I did on the Camino Frances?

2. Is there a sense of 'Camino family' on the Camino Del Norte?

3. Are there as many young people on the Camino Del Norte as the Camino Frances?

4. Is the Camino Del Norte as safe as the Camino Frances for a 22 year old woman walking alone?

5. What is the weather like in June on the Camino Del Norte?

6. If I do decide to do the Camino Del Norte are there any good up to date guide books that I can use along the way?

1. No. Lots of Spaniards, hardly any people from English speaking countries.
2. No. This is a Camino for long distance walkers. Walk alone during the day, catch up with people at the albergue in the pm. The "Camino family" really is a Frances thing.
3. No. And the younger ones are in good part cyclists.
4. Yes, just as safe
6. I used Editorial Buen Camino (Spanish). In English I used Ciceron and it's fine. In German is Roher, with great maps.

Start on the Norte and of it's not what you want head back to the Frances.

My experience differed from @Anemone del Camino.
1. Mostly Europeans (Dutch, German, Austrian, Belgium..even Russian)
Almost all of them spoke English (as usual)
2. The "Camino family" thing was much the same and folks did walk together.
3. We encountered many younger pilgrims
4. I saw nothing that would indicate any safety concern.

1. No. Lots of Spaniards, hardly any people from English speaking countries.
2. No. This is a Camino for long distance walkers. Walk alone during the day, catch up with people at the albergue in the pm. The "Camino family" really is a Frances thing.
3. No. And the younger ones are in good part cyclists.
4. Yes, just as safe
6. I used Editorial Buen Camino (Spanish). In English I used Ciceron and it's fine. In German is Roher, with great maps.

Start on the Norte and of it's not what you want head back to the Frances.
I am a 22 year old female and walked the Camino Frances last August. I graduate in May and am thinking of doing another Camino to decide what to do next with my life in June. I loved the Camino Frances and really enjoyed meeting so many wonderful people from all over the world, I would love this experience f meeting so many different wonderful people again however would love to walk along the coast beside the ocean.
So I cannot decide wither to do the Camino Frances AGAIN or to try out the Camino Del Norte!!

1. Will I meet as many people from such a range of places such as Australia, New Zealand, the USA, Italy, Brazil, Sweden etc on the Camino Del Norte as I did on the Camino Frances?

3. Are there as many young people on the Camino Del Norte as the Camino Frances?

4. Is the Camino Del Norte as safe as the Camino Frances for a 22 year old woman walking alone?

6. If I do decide to do the Camino Del Norte are there any good up to date guide books that I can use along the way?
1.) In April/May of 2016 I walked the Norte but turned inland to combine it with the Primitivo. I found there to be few English speaking pilgrims, mostly Europeans from Netherlands, Germany, Austria a few French and Spanish. Fortunately some of them spoke English.

2.) I didn't experience a Camino family, but walked with a family member, so probably put forth less effort since I had a partner. But we often could connect at days end with a few pilgrims we'd gotten to know and do have good memories of those times in the albergues.

3.) I felt there were quite a few younger people, more by percentage than the Frances which I'd walked in Spring of 2015.

4.) I thought the Norte was very well marked, and I'm sure it is safe, however there were many long stretches of seeing no one, so if you are a woman, make sure you are comfortable with some isolation. I'm sure you can find others to walk with, even in your first few days. I did meet people who had done that.

5.) I have read that June is a good month weather wise to walk with less rain, and the Europeans are not yet on vacation. University students may be out, but they would be more your age if walking.

6.) We used the Northern Caminos by Dave Whitson. It was hard to get used to after the Brierley guide, but it worked fine and we never got lost.

I loved the Norte, but that route feels more like a personal hike, as the religious spirit is not nearly as alive in the tourist beach communities and cities.

As an afterthought, you might give some consideratuon to the Portuguese route. I hear it is growing in popularity, very safe, less expensive, well marked, great food and friendly and welcoming people.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My experience differed from @Anemone del Camino.
1. Mostly Europeans (Dutch, German, Austrian, Belgium..even Russian)
Almost all of them spoke English (as usual)
2. The "Camino family" thing was much the same and folks did walk together.
3. We encounter many younger pilgrims
4. I saw nothing that would indicate any safety concern.

Our experience was very similar.
1. Also mostly European but also Argentina, USA , Turkey.
2. The "Camino Family" thing was mainly in the evenings and at coffee stops. Evening numbers in September/October were usually about 10-15.
3. Yes, younger pilgrims predominated.
4. Agree
6. Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino apps were useful, particularly for information on albergues. For planning, Gronze and Eroski provide a lot of information.

I haven't walked the Norte but what I remember from reading on this forum is that due to longer stages and scarcity of accommodation you will often be spending nights with the same people.

I think that may be an older description.
The stages are pretty easy to modify to fit your preferences now.
There are accommodations of all type available.
The infrastructure is similar to what the CF was in about 2009, in my opinion.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am going to offer a brief and different perspective--the environment/your surroundings. I'm not saying that one is "better" than the other, just that there are unique features to each. The Norte is a very different experience in terms of the sites that you will see. The large cities in the Basque and Asturian region have a very different feel than those in along the Frances--the tapas/pintxos, the wine bars in Basque country; the sideria bars in Asturias. Unique kinds of architecture to be seen--the Guggenheim in Bilbao--as an example. The early (coastal) regions of the Norte are more oriented towards tourists than pilgrims (explains why there are fewer pilgrim-specific accommodations --though this is slowly changing). And less emphasis on the religious aspects, and emphasis on the coastal riches--the beaches, fishing villages (depending where you are along the Norte). We walked the majority of the Frances in 2001, and completed the Norte in 2016 and I loved it. I know that many people return to the Camino Frances and find it rewarding to do so--and perhaps have a different set of experiences each time--but I prefer to walk different Caminos each time we go. Buen Camino

1.) In April/May of 2016 I walked the Norte but turned inland to combine it with the Primitivo. I found there to be few English speaking pilgrims, mostly Europeans from Netherlands, Germany, Austria a few French and Spanish. Fortunately some of them spoke English.

2.) I didn't experience a Camino family, but walked with a family member, so probably put forth less effort since I had a partner. But we often could connect at days end with a few pilgrims we'd gotten to know and do have good memories of those times in the albergues.

3.) I felt there were quite a few younger people, more by percentage than the Frances which I'd walked in Spring of 2015.

4.) I thought the Norte was very well marked, and I'm sure it is safe, however there were many long stretches of seeing no one, so if you are a woman, make sure you are comfortable with some isolation. I'm sure you can find others to walk with, even in your first few days. I did meet people who had done that.

5.) I have read that June is a good month weather wise to walk with less rain, and the Europeans are not yet on vacation. University students may be out, but they would be more your age if walking.

6.) We used the Northern Caminos by Dave Whitson. It was hard to get used to after the Brierley guide, but it worked fine and we never got lost.

I loved the Norte, but that route feels more like a personal hike, as the religious spirit is not nearly as alive in the tourist beach communities and cities.

As an afterthought, you might give some consideratuon to the Portuguese route. I hear it is growing in popularity, very safe, less expensive, well marked, great food and friendly and welcoming people.
I haven't walked the Norte but what I remember from reading on this forum is that due to longer stages and scarcity of accommodation you will often be spending nights with the same people.
This was very true when I walked it last spring. The long stages also had me staying in a few more pensiones/hotels to shorten some of the longer ones.

I am going to offer a brief and different perspective--the environment/your surroundings. I'm not saying that one is "better" than the other, just that there are unique features to each. The Norte is a very different experience in terms of the sites that you will see. The large cities in the Basque and Asturian region have a very different feel than those in along the Frances--the tapas/pintxos, the wine bars in Basque country; the sideria bars in Asturias. Unique kinds of architecture to be seen--the Guggenheim in Bilbao--as an example. The early (coastal) regions of the Norte are more oriented towards tourists than pilgrims (explains why there are fewer pilgrim-specific accommodations --though this is slowly changing). And less emphasis on the religious aspects, and emphasis on the coastal riches--the beaches, fishing villages (depending where you are along the Norte). We walked the majority of the Frances in 2001, and completed the Norte in 2016 and I loved it. I know that many people return to the Camino Frances and find it rewarding to do so--and perhaps have a different set of experiences each time--but I prefer to walk different Caminos each time we go. Buen Camino
I totally agree and kudos on such an eloquently written description of the Norte's coastal portion!

I am not Basque but live nearby I know the territory well and I would equate some of the Norte as walking from one fjord to the next., i.e lots of hills. I contemplated walking it this year but decided to walk the CF again. The CF is a good friend.

I am not Basque but live nearby I know the territory well and I would equate some of the Norte as walking from one fjord to the next., i.e lots of hills. I contemplated walking it this year but decided to walk the CF again. The CF is a good friend.
Lucky you, living in rather close proximity to many of the various Caminos!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
After reading all of this thread, now I am questioning my plan. I have about two weeks of time in the end of May / beginning of June. I was planning to the the Norte to better balance the crowds with some peace and isolation (some decent cities as well as the last two days combined with the CF before Santiago). My dates are fixed. I was originally thinking of doing the last two weeks of the CF but then bailed and am now planning to the the CdN. I really don't want to be in massive packs moving from city to city each day, which is why I thought the CdN would be better. Thoughts?

After reading all of this thread, now I am questioning my plan. I have about two weeks of time in the end of May / beginning of June. I was planning to the the Norte to better balance the crowds with some peace and isolation (some decent cities as well as the last two days combined with the CF before Santiago). My dates are fixed. I was originally thinking of doing the last two weeks of the CF but then bailed and am now planning to the the CdN. I really don't want to be in massive packs moving from city to city each day, which is why I thought the CdN would be better. Thoughts?

You may want to consider the Primitivo and adjust your starting point to match your time schedule. It branches off from the Norte and meets up with the CF in Melide.

I will be leaving from San Sebastian on 22 April. My daughter is walking with me for a week until Bilbao. I plan to take the Camino Primitivo after Villavicosia. I walked the Camino Frances in 2014 and the Camino Portugues last year. I am sure that this will not be as crowded as the Camino Frances. There were very few pilgrims on the Camino Portugues until Porto.I think walking a different Camino is the way to go, especially along the coastal part. Good luck and Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We, Canadian English speakers!, walked the Norte/Primitivo in May 2016. Loved it all the way until Mellide..... we encountered many Japanese, Spanish, Canadian, Irish, Danes, Polish, Dutch, Swedes, French, American, Germans but not enough of any to call a dominant pack. The Norte seemed a bit older than Frances demographically but we were in pensions so that might have skewed us older.

Well marked and safe.

I am a 22 year old female and walked the Camino Frances last August. I graduate in May and am thinking of doing another Camino to decide what to do next with my life in June. I loved the Camino Frances and really enjoyed meeting so many wonderful people from all over the world, I would love this experience f meeting so many different wonderful people again however would love to walk along the coast beside the ocean.
So I cannot decide wither to do the Camino Frances AGAIN or to try out the Camino Del Norte!!

Yes: The Northern Caminos by Laura Perazzoli and Dave Whitsom There is also a good app but it is in Spanish, Eroski.
For sure do the Norte. It is far more beautiful that the Frances and less crowded and I believe it is safe. I did it alone last Sept/Oct I did not like the Frances at all.

My experience in 2010 when I walked it in May and June was that the Camino Frances was not crowded and I had no trouble finding accommodations in the auberges. All was quiet and contemplative on the Camino Frances until I reached Sarria. It is there that a large number of Spaniards begin their 100 km pilgrimage. They want the document to hang on their walls without the long, hard slog from France. If you finish the Camino before the Spaniards begin their vacations in early July, you should not be overwhelmed with pseudo-pilgrims i.e. no skin, as in shoe leather, in the game.

What you may want to do to help your decision making is to go on a weather site and add the cities through which you will be walking. It will provide you a useful planning tool and you can use it as you travel down your Camino route.

I'll be doing the Camino del Norte in Oct. 2017 and from what I've gathered from others experiences is that I should be ready to stay in hotels along the route as many pilgrim auberges may be closed or few and far between. If money is a consideration I believe the Camino Frances is a more affordable option.

Although I haven't hiked the Camino del Norte, I have traveled from Gernika to Luarca on the bus and the narrow gauge electric railroad called FEVE. My experiences were of a much greener route than Camino Frances. I remember riding Feve and looking to my right and seeing beautiful coastal coves and beaches along the Sea of Cantabria and to my left the snow covered peaks of the Picos de Europa National Park. Did you know that brown bears like the ones you find in Alaska and Siberia, inhabit the park? There is much to see and experience. In Comillas there is a restaurant designed by Gaudi in his early days. If you like seafood then you will definitely like Cantabria and Asturias.

If you've already done one Camino then you're more than equipped for any of them. Go for it!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My experience in 2010 when I walked it in May and June was that the Camino Frances was not crowded and I had no trouble finding accommodations in the auberges. All was quiet and contemplative on the Camino Frances until I reached Sarria. It is there that a large number of Spaniards begin their 100 km pilgrimage. They want the document to hang on their walls without the long, hard slog from France. If you finish the Camino before the Spaniards begin their vacations in early July, you should not be overwhelmed with pseudo-pilgrims i.e. no skin, as in shoe leather, in the game.

What you may want to do to help your decision making is to go on a weather site and add the cities through which you will be walking. It will provide you a useful planning tool and you can use it as you travel down your Camino route.

I'll be doing the Camino del Norte in Oct. 2017 and from what I've gathered from others experiences is that I should be ready to stay in hotels along the route as many pilgrim auberges may be closed or few and far between. If money is a consideration I believe the Camino Frances is a more affordable option.

Although I haven't hiked the Camino del Norte, I have traveled from Gernika to Luarca on the bus and the narrow gauge electric railroad called FEVE. My experiences were of a much greener route than Camino Frances. I remember riding Feve and looking to my right and seeing beautiful coastal coves and beaches along the Sea of Cantabria and to my left the snow covered peaks of the Picos de Europa National Park. Did you know that brown bears like the ones you find in Alaska and Siberia, inhabit the park? There is much to see and experience. In Comillas there is a restaurant designed by Gaudi in his early days. If you like seafood then you will definitely like Cantabria and Asturias.

If you've already done one Camino then you're more than equipped for any of them. Go for it!
I did the Camino del Norte in September/October 2017 and it was wonderful. No need for hotels. Plenty of albergues with plenty of room. Gorgeous scenery and wonderful pilgrims. Spectacular views. some walking along highways, though, but doable. Because I lost 9 days because of infected blisters I had to go down to the Camino Frances at Leon. It can't even compare to the Camino del Norte. I would never want to do the Frances again. Even in the fall there were too many noisy people on some parts, dry, baren and just plain ugly in other places. No question: Camino del Norte

What did you decide? I am still figuring it out as well...will start in SJdPP on May 18th and am seriously considering bussing it up to Irun from Pamplona.

Buena suerte con todo!
Sue

What did you decide? I am still figuring it out as well...will start in SJdPP on May 18th and am seriously considering bussing it up to Irun from Pamplona.

Buena suerte con todo!
Sue

Thank you so much every one for your help! I decided on the Frances route from SJPDP to Santiago and will challenge myself a bit more and go to Finnestere this time and then possibly walk up the coast towards Muxcia! The beauty and magical atmosphere among fellow pilgrims from such a variation of cultures has drawn me back to the Frances route! I begin walking around June 1st/2nd.
Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It is day 2 on the Norte
24c and just beautiful in getaria
The Camino is well marked and the walk along the coast is spectacular
Most pilgrims are locals but there have been a few other nationalities
Knees and feet are sore
A medicinal cold beer should fix that
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.