• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del Norte or Camino Portugues?

mattesJ

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances several times. This year it ithe northern route
I've walked from St. Jean last year and have 40 days this summer to try either the Camino del Norte or the Camino Portugues. I love Portugal, but my phone is Spanish, so not sure which would be better. Has anyone done both? Any pros or cons you can throw my way?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Like you, I've done the CF from SJPP and will be doing my second camino later this year. After researching and evaluating different factors, I've decided to do the camino Portugues this time (I may do a portion of the Norte in the future as I have some friends in that area). The decision to do the CP is mostly due to the fact that I've never been to Portugal - and have heard many good things about it. I've also read a couple of historical books about the Peninsular War of the early 1800 when the French invaded Spain & Portugal and attempted to capture Lisbon. As I walk the CP I hope to get a feel for the terrain as many of the battles were fought between Lisbon and Porto. The CP is also considered somewhat easier than the Norte - so that's a plus for me (I'm a polio survivor in my late 60s, with one artificial knee). BTW, I allowed myself 45 days to complete the CF but manage to do it in 33 days. Since both the Norte and Portugues are shorter - I'm quite sure you can do either in fewer than 40 days. Finally, I do not fully understand your reference to your Spanish phone. IMHO, your decision should not be dependent on your phone. Beside, can buy a Portuguese SIM card and use your phone in Portugal. Buen camino.

I allowed myself 45 days to complete the CF but manage to do it in 33 days. Since both the Norte and Portugues are shorter
The Norte is the same length as the Frances.
MattesJ: I enjoyed both, for different reasons. Both have a lot more road walking than the CF. Norte has lots of variety and a lot of beauty. The CP (starting in Lisbon) is flatter and occasionally a bit featureless and the road walking here feels more precarious. But the CP is less travelled and so fresher. There are new albergues opening up in places that had none before, so you can feel a bit of a pioneer. I found the people along the way to be disarmingly open and kind, which more than compensated for the careless drivers!
hnguyen: a good spot for considering the peninsular war is the Via de la Plata just before Salamanca, where you literally walk across what was the battlefield for the 'Battle of Salamanca' and there's a handy plaque/notice on the overlooking hill, explaining where the armies engaged and how Wellington used the hills to outmanouvre the French.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've walked from St. Jean last year and have 40 days this summer to try either the Camino del Norte or the Camino Portugues. I love Portugal, but my phone is Spanish, so not sure which would be better. Has anyone done both? Any pros or cons you can throw my way?
Can't speak for the Norte, which I'm planning to walk this fall, however, I did walk the coastal route in Portugal from Porto to Santiago and that can be accomplished in under 12 days. It is extremely beautiful. A compromise might be to do the Porto route and then a section of the Norte walking from Santiago. However, if you are anything like me, once I've reached Santiago, it's either on to Muxia or it's finished.

If you have 40 days, then you can walk the Norte, then still have some time to spend on the Portugese camino. The Norte is very different from the Frances, but is a very lovely walk.

This is my dilema and I hope there are some other people who have done both that can suggest pros and cons. It seems a lot of people are suggesting that the Norte is a little more scenic than the CP. I have posted on both the CP and the CN to see which is the better signed and it appears both are.

Personally, I like views, quaint village, trees and wooded.

Any views ?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This is my dilema and I hope there are some other people who have done both that can suggest pros and cons. It seems a lot of people are suggesting that the Norte is a little more scenic than the CP. I have posted on both the CP and the CN to see which is the better signed and it appears both are.

Personally, I like views, quaint village, trees and wooded.

Any views ?
Hmm...personally I like the warmth and kindness of the Portuguese people.. Their food...their wines...the Portuguese landscape is a bonus..

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back