• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Del Norte Paying It Forward - Save 8km between Vilalba and Sobrado

Globalroaming074

El Norte ‘22, El Primitivo ‘23
Time of past OR future Camino
El Norte (May 2022)
Primitivo (May 2023)
Hi Guys
I’ve just finished my first Camino on El Norte, 5 weeks and 830km from Irún to SDC - it’s definitely been one of the most unexpectedly amazing experiences of my life.
Towards the end, when my feet were really beginning to hurt, a guy I’d walked with and who had since gone ahead of me by a few days sent me the attached - a map showing the two routes you can take between Vilalba and Sobrado after passing Baamonde.
Like many, I’d solely been using the Buen Camino app and it suggested that when it came to the junction and which route to take, the longer route (by 8km) to the left via Miraz might be preferable to the route to the right via As Cruces because the shorter route had no hostels or facilities available. In other words walk to the left, a 44km leg with accommodation and places to eat or walk to the right, 36km with nowhere to sleep or eat.
So imagine my joy when my friend sends me the attached which actually shows that you can take the shorter route to your right because a lovely new albergue/pension has opened up in Parga called Parga Natura. From here you can walk the next day where in actual fact there are 2 bars between Parga and Sobrado and you’ll save yourself 8km.
If I’ve confused you I’ll summarise as follows:
If you go right at the junction, your walk will go:
Day 1 Vilalba - Parga 26km
Day 2 Parga - Sobrado 24km
Total 50km
If you go left at the junction as I’d planned to do based on Buen Camino’s description, it’s:
Day 1 Vilalba - Miraz 32km
Day 2 Miraz - Sobrado 26km
Total 58km
The walk was pretty easy and I was really grateful because both days were warm and muggy, around 30 degrees so this info was a blessing which I’m happy to pay forward for anyone planning their trip or who is currently on the way already. BUEN CAMINO!!!

Attachments

• 4A4AE6CE-F624-4F10-9E6E-61FC22352815.jpeg
    4A4AE6CE-F624-4F10-9E6E-61FC22352815.jpeg
    256.1 KB · Views: 75
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The owners of Parga used to run the Primitivo albergues in Ponte Ferreira (along with another forum member), and I have heard from people who stayed in Parga this year that is is a very nice facility. The only downside I see with your suggestion is that it makes Vilalba a stopping point. Not one of my favorite towns on the Norte, it has always seemed a bit depressing to me.

Where did you stay there, @Globalroaming074?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you very much for this information. It is really timely because I have been trying to figure out how to manage that long stage to Miraz. This seems perfect.
Yes, I was freaking out a little too, especially when Buen Camino suggested the daily stage Vilalba to Baamonde (19km) then the next day Baamonde to Sobrado (40km) or stopping via Miraz to make it three short days. I was so happy to get this map from my peregrino buddy. I’m glad you see how great it is too!

The owners of Parga used to run the Primitivo albergues in Ponte Ferreira (along with another forum member), and I have heard from people who stayed in Parga this year that is is a very nice facility. The only downside I see with your suggestion is that it makes Vilalba a stopping point. Not one of my favorite towns on the Norte, it has always seemed a bit depressing to me.

Where did you stay there, @Globalroaming074?
Aaah, that’s so interesting, yes the owners in Parga are super hospitable and have created a really beautiful, clean, comfortable and welcoming space. I really hope they get great support from the Peregrinos because they deserve it.
Noted your thoughts on Vilalba, I must admit we cheated and took advantage of the Parador there which was a lovely experience, we didn’t leave our room, even opting for room service 😂

Hi Guys
I’ve just finished my first Camino on El Norte, 5 weeks and 830km from Irún to SDC - it’s definitely been one of the most unexpectedly amazing experiences of my life.
Towards the end, when my feet were really beginning to hurt, a guy I’d walked with and who had since gone ahead of me by a few days sent me the attached - a map showing the two routes you can take between Vilalba and Sobrado after passing Baamonde.
Like many, I’d solely been using the Buen Camino app and it suggested that when it came to the junction and which route to take, the longer route (by 8km) to the left via Miraz might be preferable to the route to the right via As Cruces because the shorter route had no hostels or facilities available. In other words walk to the left, a 44km leg with accommodation and places to eat or walk to the right, 36km with nowhere to sleep or eat.
So imagine my joy when my friend sends me the attached which actually shows that you can take the shorter route to your right because a lovely new albergue/pension has opened up in Parga called Parga Natura. From here you can walk the next day where in actual fact there are 2 bars between Parga and Sobrado and you’ll save yourself 8km.
Total 50km
If you go left at the junction as I’d planned to do based on Buen Camino’s description, it’s:
Total 58km
The walk was pretty easy and I was really grateful because both days were warm and muggy, around 30 degrees so this info was a blessing which I’m happy to pay forward for anyone planning their trip or who is currently on the way already. BUEN CAMINO!!!
We too took that route, mostly to avoid the herd on the traditional route. We did stop at the newer Pensión for “beverages”, and yes it was a nice facilities. The staff were attentive and nice. But we continued onto O MUIÑO DE PENA Pensión. Now that was a lovely stay next to the river. Highly recommended from other Pilgrims who have walked numerous times. The following day we walked easily into SdC. We merged with the Frances crowd at the airport, and did not recognize a single pilgrim into the city. ETrain.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We too took that route, mostly to avoid the herd on the traditional route. We did stop at the newer Pensión for “beverages”, and yes it was a nice facilities. The staff were attentive and nice. But we continued onto O MUIÑO DE PENA Pensión. Now that was a lovely stay next to the river. Highly recommended from other Pilgrims who have walked numerous times. The following day we walked easily into SdC. We merged with the Frances crowd at the airport, and did not recognize a single pilgrim into the city. ETrain.
I wish I had followed you and avoided the Sobrado-Arzúa-Pedrouzo path as walking from Arzúa to SDC once all the Caminos merged was a rude shock after the peace of El Norte, you were very smart. It’s sad to say but for me the last stretch from Arzúa to SDC was the worst part of my Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Guys
Total 50km
Total 58km
Thanks for this!
So the first day you went through the town of Baamonde, correct?

Thanks for this!
So the first day you went through the town of Baamonde, correct?
Both alternatives go through Baamonde. The split comes after a few kms along the road.

Gronze shows it clearly on this map.

This makes for a tough choice, IMO. Miraz is one of those iconic albergues (@ebrandt and other forum members have been hospitaleros there), but the lure of getting to Sobrado in one 32 km day’s walk is strong.

If you stay in Parga (which many have recommended, run by Isabel formerly of Ponte Ferreira on the Primitivo), there is an absolutely wonderful option about 6 km beyond Sobrado. Abeiro da Loba has both private rooms and an albergue. It is a rural oasis, just lovely. Last year I walked from Friol on the Camiño Verde, had lunch and a monastery visit in Sobrado, and then walked on to Abeiro da Loba. It is really a beautiful place to relax. The dinner served was not the best, but it was totally edible.

Abeiro da Loba has a very nice backstory, too. It’s the homestead of the owner’s great grandparents, once in ruins and now an eco-lodge that has won several prizes. I can’t remember the young man’s name, but he has a beautiful book of pictures showing the construction stages. Quite something, I hope this is a successful venture!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I stayed here in June. Indeed, it is a wonderful place. Muy tranquilo. Alex is the name of the proprietor. He speaks excellent English.
A few pictures. Muy tranquilo is a great description of the Abeiro da Loba. I was nursing a muscle injury when I got there, so I spent a lot of time on the bed in my room and outside in the yard.

Attachments

• AE778703-0C12-4636-86A4-1B19AE67F06B.jpeg
    AE778703-0C12-4636-86A4-1B19AE67F06B.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 25
  • 88948BB0-7A6D-4DAE-A25D-AC7DB4D3D1AC.jpeg
    88948BB0-7A6D-4DAE-A25D-AC7DB4D3D1AC.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 15
  • 6774067D-F2D5-4726-A06D-B7B12F158F69.jpeg
    6774067D-F2D5-4726-A06D-B7B12F158F69.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 12
  • E682F283-7725-4930-A32A-EA02B1BB123C.jpeg
    E682F283-7725-4930-A32A-EA02B1BB123C.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 23
I faced this question in May 2022, bang a left, or a right? I did the left before, but this time I had some friends ahead and they took the right. We hooked up at the naturalist parga Albergue. I and two of my friends got private rooms, we all shared a vegan dinner, and a box breakfast. It was great. They had cards too.

I too was scratching my head, going over all the options. You advice is very useful, especially the Parador stop in Vilalba.
David, phone the Parador directly fhe day before you are going to stay there. Bed and Breakfast for 2, €107. DONT use bookings..

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi all thanks for your tips! We are currently in Salinas on the Camino Del Norte.

Based on everyone’s suggestions - just wanting to check if this is right/doable:
- Vilalba to Parga (26km)
- Parga to Abeiro da Loga (30km?)
- Abeira da Loga to O Miina de Peña (25km)
- O Muina De Peña to Santiago de Compostela (20km)

Also- if we follow the above will we be going off route quite a bit and if so, is it pretty easy to follow via google maps etc?

Thanks!

Hi all thanks for your tips! We are currently in Salinas on the Camino Del Norte.

Based on everyone’s suggestions - just wanting to check if this is right/doable:
- Vilalba to Parga (26km)
- Parga to Abeiro da Loga (30km?)
- Abeira da Loga to O Miina de Peña (25km)
- O Muina De Peña to Santiago de Compostela (20km)

Also- if we follow the above will we be going off route quite a bit and if so, is it pretty easy to follow via google maps etc?

Thanks!
Yes it’s easy to follow. You will mostly be walking along quiet country roads. The Wise pilgrim app has the route on gps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Guys
Total 50km
Total 58km
Thanks! Worked well for us, a few weeks back. Food in Parga Natura is v good. Book ahead!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.