• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del Norte route

Shauna

Time of past OR future Camino
We would like to do part of the CDN and have two weeks. Which would be the best part to do with accommodation choices (we prefer own room). Would like best scenery. How does this route compare to the Frances, which we have done in the past.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
"When" might be a useful piece of information. Where you are travelling from and returning to might help as well. Much of the Norte passes through popular summer holiday resorts and passes exquisite beaches. In July and August your choice of accommodation style will offer challenges.

That said the Asturian stages, from Santander to Gijon or even Ribadeo will tick the scenery box but private accommodation will be expensive.

"When" might be a useful piece of information. Where you are travelling from and returning to might help as well. Much of the Norte passes through popular summer holiday resorts and passes exquisite beaches. In July and August your choice of accommodation style will offer challenges.

That said the Asturian stages, from Santander to Gijon or even Ribadeo will tick the scenery box but private accommodation will be expensive.
We are looking to go 26 August onwards, possibly flying in to Bilboa but this may change. We are coming from UK. Originally we were going to do a week but think we will add a few more days on. Sorry to be vague, only just decided we want to go!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Late August, tail end of the local holiday season but likely still busy. It’ll be worth spending an hour or two on Gronze and booking.con to get a feel for accommodation options (and costs).
You can take a FEVE train to Santander from Bilbao though the buses are probably quicker. Simply walking out of Bilbao and seeing how far you can get could be fun but watch your return travel options.
Happy planning

We are starting from Irún August 23rd and accommodation for the first week is between 65 euros and 105 euros for a private room, and there were very few of them, so I agree with @Tincatinker above.

BTW - We are also flying from the UK, but into San Sebastián airport as its right beside Irún

We too will start from Irún August 23rd and hope to walk till Bilbao. We reserved private rooms mainly through Booking. I felt that it was not east to find rooms in some places. it might be best to reserve ahead. David I hope to meet you on the camino:)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We too will start from Irún August 23rd and hope to walk till Bilbao. We reserved private rooms mainly through Booking. I felt that it was not east to find rooms in some places. it might be best to reserve ahead. David I hope to meet you on the camino:)
Just a few suggestions. I just finished the whole del norte a few days ago. Several suggestions on places to stay 1) Orio - San Martin Pilgrims Hostel - well run with a good sized kitchen for cooking dinner and a grocery store down in town 10min. Many places say they have cooking facilities but don't really have equipment/pots/utensils and space - this place did. Breakfast is very basic and not worth the charge. 2) Zumaia - Sana Klara Hostel - it is expensive 30e but very nice. Great rooms/beds. good kitchen. Amazing views of the town and ocean. It is past the town which gives a good start on the next day but is a steep hill to get there. dont count on walking back into town - pick up food/supplies as you go through town. 3) There is a big converted old train station is Deba which is I hear is nice but I pushed the 5k on to the Izabide Pilgrims Hostel in Ibiri quarter. it is not a town or anything but gives you a good start on the long huge elevation gain/loss for the next day (with little facilities) be sure to get a sandwich supplies in Deba for that leg. The albera is fairly basic but does have a bar for drinks. They offer a pilgrams meal but had us go to a nearby Italian restaurant they worked with for it (and it was good for fixed price). 4) Markina - I had the advice to push on past town to the moestary at Monasterio de Ziortza - if you want to say you stayed at a monastery go for it. Rooms/facilities are really old - have to go outside and back into building for toilets. No real kitchen and the pilgrims meal is a huge pot of pasta the monks bring in then leave. I heard amazing stories from the people that stayed at the Inzauspe Hostel in Markina about a fantastic meal etc. and would have stayed there in retrospect. 5) there may be great places in Gernicka-Lumo but I pushed on the extra 6m to Muzika and the Pozueta Rooms hostel for one of the best pilgrims meals I had. Not in a town just out in country (the way I like). Small great place. For sure go there if you can. 6) the walk into Bilbao is horribly hard because the last bit is straight up and straight down. It probably took me 1.5 hours for the last mile down because my quads hurt so much. There may be other nice places to stay but I booked this amazing botique hotel right in the old quarter. You looked down on the busy cobblestone streets in the old town with restaurants, nightlife, shops and a great vibe. The hotel had smaller rooms but all modern and great. The plus is that the old town is the first thing you hit after coming down this huge climb down. Pension Ama Bilbao. Frankly the rest of Bilbao just seemed like a busy crowded city. Those are my recomendations!!! have a fantastic trip. Eric.

Just a few suggestions. I just finished the whole del norte a few days ago. Several suggestions on places to stay 1) Orio - San Martin Pilgrims Hostel - well run with a good sized kitchen for cooking dinner and a grocery store down in town 10min. Many places say they have cooking facilities but don't really have equipment/pots/utensils and space - this place did. Breakfast is very basic and not worth the charge. 2) Zumaia - Sana Klara Hostel - it is expensive 30e but very nice. Great rooms/beds. good kitchen. Amazing views of the town and ocean. It is past the town which gives a good start on the next day but is a steep hill to get there. dont count on walking back into town - pick up food/supplies as you go through town. 3) There is a big converted old train station is Deba which is I hear is nice but I pushed the 5k on to the Izabide Pilgrims Hostel in Ibiri quarter. it is not a town or anything but gives you a good start on the long huge elevation gain/loss for the next day (with little facilities) be sure to get a sandwich supplies in Deba for that leg. The albera is fairly basic but does have a bar for drinks. They offer a pilgrams meal but had us go to a nearby Italian restaurant they worked with for it (and it was good for fixed price). 4) Markina - I had the advice to push on past town to the moestary at Monasterio de Ziortza - if you want to say you stayed at a monastery go for it. Rooms/facilities are really old - have to go outside and back into building for toilets. No real kitchen and the pilgrims meal is a huge pot of pasta the monks bring in then leave. I heard amazing stories from the people that stayed at the Inzauspe Hostel in Markina about a fantastic meal etc. and would have stayed there in retrospect. 5) there may be great places in Gernicka-Lumo but I pushed on the extra 6m to Muzika and the Pozueta Rooms hostel for one of the best pilgrims meals I had. Not in a town just out in country (the way I like). Small great place. For sure go there if you can. 6) the walk into Bilbao is horribly hard because the last bit is straight up and straight down. It probably took me 1.5 hours for the last mile down because my quads hurt so much. There may be other nice places to stay but I booked this amazing botique hotel right in the old quarter. You looked down on the busy cobblestone streets in the old town with restaurants, nightlife, shops and a great vibe. The hotel had smaller rooms but all modern and great. The plus is that the old town is the first thing you hit after coming down this huge climb down. Pension Ama Bilbao. Frankly the rest of Bilbao just seemed like a busy crowded city. Those are my recomendations!!! have a fantastic trip. Eric.
Tons of really useful information thanks Eric

Thank you. Important info for us

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.