• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del Norte - start in Saint Jean, Irun, or San Sebastian?

PastorCat

Time of past OR future Camino
May-June 2013
Hi all!

I'm walking the northern route in September (2015), and I'm trying to decide where to being the pilgrimage. I'm hoping to meet a few folks near the beginning - which leads me to shoot for Saint Jean. But because the northern route isn't typically walked from there, would I just be setting myself up for a solitary 2-day walk from Saint Jean to Irun?

Which leads to question 2.

All things considered, Los Angeles to San Sebastian is the most efficient airport to travel to. If I forgo Saint Jean, should I make my way to Irun to begin, or just start in San Sebastian?

Keeping in mind that I'd like to find friends along the way, which would be the better departure point.

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

Best,

~m

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi all!

I'm walking the northern route in September (2015), and I'm trying to decide where to being the pilgrimage. I'm hoping to meet a few folks near the beginning - which leads me to shoot for Saint Jean. But because the northern route isn't typically walked from there, would I just be setting myself up for a solitary 2-day walk from Saint Jean to Irun?

All things considered, Los Angeles to San Sebastian is the most efficient airport to travel to. If I forgo Saint Jean, should I make my way to Irun to begin, or just start in San Sebastian?

Keeping in mind that I'd like to find friends along the way, which would be the better departure point.

Best,

~m
Just start in Irun or San Sebastián. There will be plenty of people starting the Norte in both those places, and even from farther up the coast in France. The people who are starting in St. Jean Pied de Port will be walking a different route. You would meet them, then never see them again, except perhaps in Santiago, so IMHO there is no point in going to St. Jean if you are walking the Norte. If you are flying into San Sebastián, it isn't hard to get to Irun from there, so a starting point of Irun or San Sebastián is just a matter of your own preference. That first day walking from Irun will be a good introduction to the hills, :). Buen Camino!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I arrived at Santiago from Irun today - in 39 days.
The "traditional" starting point for del Norte is Irun. As someone pointed out the airport for San Sebastián is in Irun. Finding a "compatible" walking partner for the entire journey is a tricky one because everyone has different speed and budget etc. Just because two people have the same destination does not mean they are good companions. I hope you find one. I have been lucky to find a Spanish woman who walked with me all the way from Irun.
By the way, the first week on del Norte is physically challenging.

I arrived at Santiago from Irun today - in 39 days.
The "traditional" starting point for del Norte is Irun. As someone pointed out the airport for San Sebastián is in Irun. Finding a "compatible" walking partner for the entire journey is a tricky one because everyone has different speed and budget etc. Just because two people have the same destination does not mean they are good companions. I hope you find one. I have been lucky to find a Spanish woman who walked with me all the way from Irun.
By the way, the first week on del Norte is physically challenging.

Tominrm:

Congrats on completing the Norte.

Ultreya,
Joe

Hi all!

Best,

~m

Pastorcat:

I would start in either Irun or San Sebastian. Very few, if any walking the Norte, start in SJPdP.

Ultreya,
Joe

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'll be walking the Norte this summer, starting from SJPdP. Just feel it is right for me.
Whichever way you go, buen camino!

The first day of walking from Irun to San Sebastion is a lovely walk, and you can choose whether to climb to the top of the first major hill where the view is spectacular, or go around it if it is in cloud. Arriving in San Sebastion after a good days walking is a great feeling. The day gives you a varied combination of scenery, from mountain panoramas, coastal views and a pleasant short ferry ride from a very colourful little town. My first day from Irun is one of my favourite memories from the whole camino.

You will probably meet up with several different walkers who you will meet and re-meet many times, and some will settle into a camino family.

The Norte is a great route, have a great walk!

I'll be walking the Norte this summer, starting from SJPdP. Just feel it is right for me.
Whichever way you go, buen camino!

Wandererjolie:

I am curious, what is the route you plan to walk from SJPdP to the Norte?

Joe

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi all!

Best,

~m
Hi, PastorCat,

Well if you shoot for Camino family to get in SJPdP and then walk del Norte it's a loosing game. All those starting from SJPdP will walk Camino Frances. That's one thing.

The second is that (as @falcon269 already mentioned) San Sebastian airport is actually Irun airport. Only 3kms away, whereas Biarritz/Angelet is some 30kms away.

But if you really want to start in SJPdP (I can't even imagine a reason why if you would want to gain Camino family and then walk del Norte) take a look here:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/norte-in-july.30532/#post-309295

Ultreia!

www.aucoeurduchemin.org/ These guys have the route with maps, places to stay on the above website, there is also the option of walking the 1st day of the Frances over the Pyrenees and going to Irun/Hendaye on a route on the other side.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I actually walked from St Jean to Irun in four days vis the amazing GR 10 which is a route along the stunning Pyrénées. It is not a Camino route it is high mountains, it is a tough walk on a very well marked paths, there are Gite de Etaps to stay in very rewarding. I have been told that there is an easier low level country road route.

This particular walk inpired me to walk the entire GR 10 a year later, the result can be seen on my website, http://www.caminogallery.com/gallery/?id=19&area=13

Dermot

Hi Dermot,, Great Photos, just a couple of questions about Gr10 from SJPDP to Irun, what is it like for steep drop off sections alongside the trail? Do you have to book the albergues in advance? Any pointers would be great.

Mike I done it in 2011 with a lovely Swiss companion that I meet in Cahors. None of us knew what we were doing. Up to then I never heard of the GR 10. I persuaded the local tourist office to copy the relevant pages of the Topo guide. I did not book anything in advance, but it is France the French always book so I think it would be good to book.
Get your hands on the French Topo guide it would be the Pyrénées Atlantique. In French but information essential and not hard to follow. The book is prob written West to East BUT IT IS NO PROBLEM ONLY THE TIMES WONT BE 100 PER CENT. The Topo guides will always give times between places instead of distances. Of the Pyrenées it is not the highest part, I cant remember exactly but there was no great problem, but it is still mountains.
As I said earlier I have been told of a new trail aimed at Pilgrims that is not high level, I believe the local tourist office have the details in French.
I now have walked about 9000km in four years and above anywhere else the Pyrénées steal my heart, they are worth the effort. Thank you for your nice comments re photographs.

The Pyrénées have a short window to walk in because of altitude and snow. Generally mid June to late September, also the Gites wont be open at other times.
Any more help I can give just pm me.
Dermot

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
...there is also the option of walking the 1st day of the Frances over the Pyrenees and going to Irun/Hendaye on a route on the other side.

Here is more regarding that option. For personal/non commercial use I have now abstracted and translated into English sections from the French site Liason Roncesvalles-Irun which describes walking in Spain from Roncesvalles to Irun using both local trails and in part the east-west Spanish GR11 trail. If you wish a copy of the above abstract/translation please write me via a Forum Conversation.

Here is more regarding that option. For personal/non commercial use I have now abstracted and translated into English sections from the French site Liason Roncesvalles-Irun which describes walking in Spain from Roncesvalles to Irun using both local trails and in part the east-west Spanish GR11 trail. If you wish a copy of the above abstract/translation please write me via a Forum Conversation.

Hi there, not sure how to write via a Forum Conversation, but this sounds useful to me as I am looking at this route, starting next week
Don't know the area, only from having walked French Way from SJPDP a few years back, but doing the Norte & like the idea of starting at Roncesvalles, just because it's such amazing country - would appreciate any advice whatsoever

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi there, not sure how to write via a Forum Conversation, but this sounds useful to me as I am looking at this route, starting next week
Keen for a copy
Don't know the area, only from having walked French Way from SJPDP a few years back, but doing the Norte & like the idea of starting at Roncesvalles, just because it's such amazing country - would appreciate any advice whatsoever

The abstract/translation has been sent via email.

Happy planning!

MM

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The abstract/translation has been sent via email.

Happy planning!

MM
Just came across this thread; am planning to do same route. Would you still be willing to share?

Just came across this thread; am planning to do same route. Would you still be willing to share?

Yes I would. Please send me your email address in a Conversation and I will send it to you tomorrow.

I know this thread is quite old now but is there any chance this abstract is still available to get a copy of? Would be much appreciated! Cheer

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I know this thread is quite old now but is there any chance this abstract is still available to get a copy of? Would be much appreciated! Cheer

No problem; I will send you more later today! Please send me your email aaddress via the Conversation modeso that I may send the full abstract to you.

No problem; I will send you more later today! Please send me your email aaddress via the Conversation modeso that I may send the full abstract to you.
Is it possible to get this information also I will PM you with my email.
Thanks in advance

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back