• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del Norte Starting from Irun on August 10 2015

Angela Leon

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte from Irun (2015)
Camino Portugues from Lisbon (2016)
Finisterra and Muxia (2016)
Camino Frances WInter 09/12/2016
I cant believe I finally will make my dream true. Got three days to prepare the trip :p
Ill fly from London to Madrid on Monday 10 August , arrive at 11 am, them I hope I can take the train to Irun, at 12:22. My question is, should I reserve/buy the ticket now? Or is better to arrive to Madrid them buy it?
I am really excited and also got lot of anxiety, the language is not problem, as I speak fluently Spanish.
What I taking with me is:
  • The guide of Juanjo Alonso. Camino del Norte Ruta Jacobea de la Costa. It still actual?
  • About Clothing my priority are on hiking socks I am taking 6 pairs, as the trip is for 4 weeks. 3 Sport bra, and enough underwear. 3 Capri trousers, and one long trousers, all for hiking and water repellent. 4 T-shirt 100% cotton. One waterproof jacket. Should I buy the Poncho in Spain?
  • Hat, sleeping bag, first aid (just in case), ultralight towel , basic personal hygiene, lowe alpine chocolatseII 50lt backpack with rain cover, blade for water, bag for laundry, teva sandal, shower sandals, Salomon walking shoes, I really hope everything I got is the right thing to have.
  • Camera, charger for phone and camera.
I wonder if anybody can advise me about gps and a way to keep in communication with my love one, as the first three weeks Ill be walking alone :(

I possible would pernoctate in Irun,as I want to avoid walk too late,is any refuge yours can advice me:D. Also where I can get the passport for Santiago and the vieira :rolleyes:

Yours think I am packet properly for the journey? Also how much money should I bring with me for the month aprox of Peregrination? :confused:

Thank you so much for any help/advice :D

Buen Camino:)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Angela,

Welcome to the Forum! You must be very excited today.

This Gronze site lists two albergues for your first night in Irun as well as other hotel possibilities. The pilgrim albergue issues the Credencial

Your packing list seems quite complete. However only 2 pair of Capris as well as the other pants you list should be enough and 6 pair of socks seems too much.

In the past I have found 35 euros per day to be adequate when staying in albergues and eating one large meal per day plus breakfast and snacks.

Do let us know how your trip progresses.

Good luck and Buen camino!

Margaret Meredith

Oh dear, you are walking the Camino where you will do laundry daily and need to carry as little as possible. But fear not, people on this forum love to edit packing lists. You are are in good hands.

You don't need 6 pairs of socks, 3 will do, the third pair is just in case the second has not dried well or if you had to change socks during the day and have to wash 2 pairs. Sportsbras: 2, not three. Troisers, a total of 2, what you wear, and what you'll wear while the first pair is drying. That second pair will typically be the pair you wear the next day as well. Tshirts: 2 only, and not cotton. Too heavy, too long to dry. They should be either fast drying synthetics or light merino whool. You may want a longsleeve t as well, not so much for the warmth but for sun protection. You could actually just have one short, one long.

Rain poncho is always good to have, but i do not recall seeing outdoorsy type of shpos from San Sebastian to Llanes where these would have been available for sale thou Bîbao probably has a decathlon, but that days in after starting.

Your second pair of shoes should serve you for the shower as well as for walking around town, unfortunately the Teeva staps will get we in the shower and take a long time to dry. Go for a 100% plastic shoe like a Croc.

No laundry bag needed, you do laundry daily on the Camino.

Do you need your camera or can your phone do the job? For your phone, buy a sim card when you get to Spain. I had no luck with this system and my card got drained very quickly even if I made only 1 call and had the data on Airplane mode, but others that had success. If not what about Whatsapp? Very popular with Europeans.

As for first aid and foot care, what are you planning on? To prevent blisters try vaseline on your feet every morning, it will prevent rubbing. A needle and thread, and matches to pierce the occasional blister and then something to cover it. Here we all differ on what we like. I like compeed, others prefer taping. What ever you decide to bring will be better than not bringing anything. For personaly hygene, bring the smallest containters you can bring. In fact, why not weigh your bag with all you have in it and see it it is over 8-8.5kg. Remember that you will be carrying water and a bit of food, and that water weighs. If you can get under 8kg you will be a much happier girl.

Have a wonderful time! Oh how I envy you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Angela,

Welcome to the Forum! You must be very excited today.

This Gronze site lists two albergues for your first night in Irun as well as other hotel possibilities. The pilgrim albergue issues the Credencial

Your packing list seems quite complete. However only 2 pair of Capris as well as the other pants you list should be enough and 6 pair of socks seems too much.

In the past I have found 35 euros per day to be adequate when staying in albergues and eating one large meal per day plus breakfast and snacks.

Do let us know how your trip progresses.

Good luck and Buen camino!

Margaret Meredith

Thank you so much Margaret

I am incredible excited !!!

Ill take your advice, and definitely will keep in touch during my trip =)

Buen Camino

Oh dear, you are walking the Camino where you will do laundry daily and need to carry as little as possible. But fear not, people on this forum love to edit packing lists. You are are in good hands.

You don't need 6 pairs of socks, 3 will do, the third pair is just in case the second has not dried well or if you had to change socks during the day and have to wash 2 pairs. Sportsbras: 2, not three. Troisers, a total of 2, what you wear, and what you'll wear while the first pair is drying. That second pair will typically be the pair you wear the next day as well. Tshirts: 2 only, and not cotton. Too heavy, too long to dry. They should be either fast drying synthetics or light merino whool. You may want a longsleeve t as well, not so much for the warmth but for sun protection. You could actually just have one short, one long.

Rain poncho is always good to have, but i do not recall seeing outdoorsy type of shpos from San Sebastian to Llanes where these would have been available for sale thou Bîbao probably has a decathlon, but that days in after starting.

Your second pair of shoes should serve you for the shower as well as for walking around town, unfortunately the Teeva staps will get we in the shower and take a long time to dry. Go for a 100% plastic shoe like a Croc.

No laundry bag needed, you do laundry daily on the Camino.

Do you need your camera or can your phone do the job? For your phone, buy a sim card when you get to Spain. I had no luck with this system and my card got drained very quickly even if I made only 1 call and had the data on Airplane mode, but others that had success. If not what about Whatsapp? Very popular with Europeans.

As for first aid and foot care, what are you planning on? To prevent blisters try vaseline on your feet every morning, it will prevent rubbing. A needle and thread, and matches to pierce the occasional blister and then something to cover it. Here we all differ on what we like. I like compeed, others prefer taping. What ever you decide to bring will be better than not bringing anything. For personaly hygene, bring the smallest containters you can bring. In fact, why not weigh your bag with all you have in it and see it it is over 8-8.5kg. Remember that you will be carrying water and a bit of food, and that water weighs. If you can get under 8kg you will be a much happier girl.

Have a wonderful time! Oh how I envy you.

Thank you so much for your advice =)

You are absolutely right about t-shirts, ill find the right ones. My tevas are perfect, the straps are waterproof leather, I had all ready check it, Croc shoes aren't too friendly with my feet =).
Thank you for the tip of the vaseline.

My bag at the moment weight less them 8kg =)=)=)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you so much for your advice =)

You are absolutely right about t-shirts, ill find the right ones. My tevas are perfect, the straps are waterproof leather, I had all ready check it, Croc shoes aren't too friendly with my feet =).
Thank you for the tip of the vaseline.

My bag at the moment weight less them 8kg =)=)=)
Under 8kg?! Good girl! You will be glad you did not decide to over pack. Don't forget the sunscreen and safety pins for hanging your clothes to dry.

Under 8kg?! Good girl! You will be glad you did not decide to over pack. Don't forget the sunscreen and safety pins for hanging your clothes to dry.

With the help of all of you I had make few changes about clothing, now I have the right garment ;). I am all ready packet, just waiting for Monday :D, and my back pack is exactly 6.7 kilos , Including the sleeping back :p:p:p.

Hope all have a good trip.

Buen Camino

Attachments

• DSC_0046.JPG
    DSC_0046.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 10
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well done and Buen Camino Angela!

You may also want to consider bringing a pocket pack of Klenex for emergency toilet paper and ear plugs to wear at night to block out the snoring from other peregrinos.

You may also want to consider bringing a pocket pack of Klenex for emergency toilet paper and ear plugs to wear at night to block out the snoring from other peregrinos.

Thank you Mike, Is an excellent Idea ;).

I am counting the hours to start my journey :rolleyes:

Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I cant believe I finally will make my dream true. Got three days to prepare the trip :p
Ill fly from London to Madrid on Monday 10 August , arrive at 11 am, them I hope I can take the train to Irun, at 12:22. My question is, should I reserve/buy the ticket now? Or is better to arrive to Madrid them buy it?
I am really excited and also got lot of anxiety, the language is not problem, as I speak fluently Spanish.
  • The guide of Juanjo Alonso. Camino del Norte Ruta Jacobea de la Costa. It still actual?
  • About Clothing my priority are on hiking socks I am taking 6 pairs, as the trip is for 4 weeks. 3 Sport bra, and enough underwear. 3 Capri trousers, and one long trousers, all for hiking and water repellent. 4 T-shirt 100% cotton. One waterproof jacket. Should I buy the Poncho in Spain?
  • Hat, sleeping bag, first aid (just in case), ultralight towel , basic personal hygiene, lowe alpine chocolatseII 50lt backpack with rain cover, blade for water, bag for laundry, teva sandal, shower sandals, Salomon walking shoes, I really hope everything I got is the right thing to have.
I wonder if anybody can advise me about gps and a way to keep in communication with my love one, as the first three weeks Ill be walking alone :(

I possible would pernoctate in Irun,as I want to avoid walk too late,is any refuge yours can advice me:D. Also where I can get the passport for Santiago and the vieira :rolleyes:

Yours think I am packet properly for the journey? Also how much money should I bring with me for the month aprox of Peregrination? :confused:

Don't forget a couple of large bandanas. Many uses. Buen camino

I mean to say thank you few weeks ago, I had completed the camino on the 07 of September. It have been the most amazing experience ever, I leave my heart in there, so much that as soon I back home (London) I become member of the Confraternity of St James, and ill back next year, not just as pilgrim but also as hospitalera for two weeks in Miraz =) . I wish I can meet next year once again pilgrims that I had meet this year, I know it just a fantasy but would be absolutely amazing, like Rachel in Castros Cardinales, Josh in Aviles, Maite in Bilbao.

Next year would be Pyrinees, them Camino del Norte once again, and if the time permit, camino portugues, just thinking aloud.

Once again a HUGE thanks all of your for the wise advice.

Buen Camino.

Angela

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Congratulations Angela!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.