Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

Camino del Norte...starting in France 736 kms Aug Sept 2021

Jenine

Past OR future Camino
C Frances Sept 2018
C Portugues April 2020
Rota Vicentina April 2020
Historical Way April 2020
Hola Peregrinos!
If you are interested in reading a candid and recent journey on the Camino del Norte, see my link below.
I walked 736 kms along the coast of France and Northern Spain.... I assure you it is nothing like the Camino Frances!
Although beautiful, it was far more demanding with plenty more solitude. That being said, I still made wonderful friends, saw beautiful places and made 5 weeks of wonderful memories. Looking forward to the next Camino already!
Enjoy!

Buen Camino!
Jenine

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

deborahbennett

Past OR future Camino
I love your blog, Jenine. I especially like how you alternated brief descriptions of your journey with your lovely photos. Thank you so much for posting this for us to enjoy.

I'm planning to write a blog on my Camino del Norte next spring, and I'm wondering if you could please tell me if you wrote your blog at the end of each day's hike? If you posted every day, about how long did you spend doing the post every day?

I'm trying to imagine if I'll actually have the time and energy at the end of each day's hike to write a post with photos. Thanks in advance for any information you might be able to give me so I have a little better idea how realistic my plans are.

Seamus68

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Apr 2017
Camino Del Norte April 2018
Camino Frances - St Jean to Burgos 2019
Hola Peregrinos!
If you are interested in reading a candid and recent journey on the Camino del Norte, see my link below.
I walked 736 kms along the coast of France and Northern Spain.... I assure you it is nothing like the Camino Frances!
Although beautiful, it was far more demanding with plenty more solitude. That being said, I still made wonderful friends, saw beautiful places and made 5 weeks of wonderful memories. Looking forward to the next Camino already!
Enjoy!

Buen Camino!
Jenine
Kudos weldone... may do this sometime

John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
The most selling Camino Guide is shipping November 1st. Get your today and start planning.
2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Jenine

Past OR future Camino
C Frances Sept 2018
C Portugues April 2020
I love your blog, Jenine. I especially like how you alternated brief descriptions of your journey with your lovely photos. Thank you so much for posting this for us to enjoy.

I'm planning to write a blog on my Camino del Norte next spring, and I'm wondering if you could please tell me if you wrote your blog at the end of each day's hike? If you posted every day, about how long did you spend doing the post every day?

I'm trying to imagine if I'll actually have the time and energy at the end of each day's hike to write a post with photos. Thanks in advance for any information you might be able to give me so I have a little better idea how realistic my plans are.
Thank you! So glad you enjoyed! I wrote daily. Sometimes I wrote while having my cafe con leche or waiting for my dinner but most often I wrote after dinner until my eyes closed and finished up at the crack of dawn. As exhausted as I was, most nights I didn't sleep well. It was difficult to balance living in the moment and recounting my day but had I not written daily, there would be so many details I would have forgotten. As it was, I did feel somewhat rushed and pressured and admittedly did leave out so many fine moments.

My advice is: write daily as not to forget the little things, even if you document in point form and elaborate later. Most importantly, live in the moment, enjoy every step you take. Time passes far too quickly.
Buen Camino.
I would love to read your blog when its done!

Jenine

Past OR future Camino
C Frances Sept 2018
C Portugues April 2020
Brilliant! Thank you for sharing. I am planning to do the Norte in Aug/Sep next year - your account has certainly whetted my appetite
Thank you. I have no doubt you will enjoy your journey.
Buen Camino!!

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Hola Peregrinos!
Enjoy!

Buen Camino!
Jenine
I walked from Irun to Santiago in 2018 and your. brief description does capture the essence of he Norte. Look forward to reading your blog. I think one thing that an old dad noticed that you may have not is that even though there are far fewer people on the Norte, the younger people I met on the Norte were wonderful and had fun but seemed (I know that this is a generalization and only a my impressions) a little more introspective and serious. about their lives and what they were doing. It seems like just about every young person I met had a job that they did for love, helping society in positive ways, protecting the most vulnerable among us. I know that this sounds a little overblown, but damn if I didn't experience this often.

Past OR future Camino
SJPP2Santiago completed (Sept.15, 2018).
Hola Peregrinos!
Enjoy!

Buen Camino!
Jenine
Really enjoyed your trip summary/blog! Thank you for making it available. It provides good info from a 'boots on the ground' perspective. After reading your comments about the weather (as in warmer than usual) I'm reassured my late April - May 2022 start is a good choice. Congrats on your camino!

Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

Jenine

Past OR future Camino
C Frances Sept 2018
C Portugues April 2020
I walked from Irun to Santiago in 2018 and your. brief description does capture the essence of he Norte. Look forward to reading your blog. I think one thing that an old dad noticed that you may have not is that even though there are far fewer people on the Norte, the younger people I met on the Norte were wonderful and had fun but seemed (I know that this is a generalization and only a my impressions) a little more introspective and serious. about their lives and what they were doing. It seems like just about every young person I met had a job that they did for love, helping society in positive ways, protecting the most vulnerable among us. I know that this sounds a little overblown, but damn if I didn't experience this often.
Hello,
I didn't actually meet too many young people. In fact, I met 2 total. Both young women. Both traveling alone. Both were very passionate about their chosen career paths.
I did however see on the daily, many middle aged (and older) solo male travelers. Only a handful of solo female travelers and a handful of couples. Majority of the hikers I met were, French or German, a few Spaniards, very few Americans or Canadians and only one Irishman :)

Jenine

Past OR future Camino
C Frances Sept 2018
C Portugues April 2020
Really enjoyed your trip summary/blog! Thank you for making it available. It provides good info from a 'boots on the ground' perspective. After reading your comments about the weather (as in warmer than usual) I'm reassured my late April - May 2022 start is a good choice. Congrats on your camino!
Thank you! Happy to hear you enjoyed the blog! Buen Camino and best wishes for the spring!
I will be hiking in Portugal in April and also am hoping for great weather!! Maybe I'll bump into you in Santiago de Compostela in May!! :)

Jenine

Past OR future Camino
C Frances Sept 2018
C Portugues April 2020
Always nice if the link is to the first post on the particular journey. Or put one on the sidebar of your homepage.

I tried to find the first post by going to your first blog post at the bottom of the August post page and still it didn't seem like the right one?
Thank you for pointing that out. You are correct. Some posts are missing and none of the posts seem to be in order. The beginning from Archachon is not even there. The links on the sidebar are supposed to take you to each individual post and they aren't.
I will follow up this weekend and figure it out. I have had many problems with the blogger site and may have to switch.
Unfortunately most blogs are designed to post the most recent first essentially frustrating readers.
I will figure it out and repost the link.
Sorry for the mess :(

Jenine

Past OR future Camino
C Frances Sept 2018
C Portugues April 2020
Always nice if the link is to the first post on the particular journey. Or put one on the sidebar of your homepage.

I tried to find the first post by going to your first blog post at the bottom of the August post page and still it didn't seem like the right one?
ok so I did find the first post...at the bottom, there is a tiny link that says 'older posts', that takes you to the first one about the Dunes and Pines....it doesn't seem like the beginning because I had spent a week in Paris and started writing there. That's a different blog called "a weekend in Paris".

Regardless I agree, the format is crap and it encourages me to start my novel instead ;)
Thanks for your efforts....
:)

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Hello,
I didn't actually meet too many young people. In fact, I met 2 total. Both young women. Both traveling alone. Both were very passionate about their chosen career paths.
I did however see on the daily, many middle aged (and older) solo male travelers. Only a handful of solo female travelers and a handful of couples. Majority of the hikers I met were, French or German, a few Spaniards, very few Americans or Canadians and only one Irishman :)
You know thanks for reminding me when I usually make a comment about the people I meet I will include some sort of disclaimer that what happened to me is unique based on when and where I walked and someone a week ahead or behind may be experiencing something completely different. I bet this year especially all bets of what someone "normally sees" is really thrown out the window. Thanks

Past OR future Camino
Planning on the pilgrimage 2015
Hola Peregrinos!
Enjoy!

Buen Camino!
Jenine
That Norte is the most beautiful hike I've ever done. Yes it's very challenging. The 1 st week out of irun made me doubt if I had it in me to finish. But with a couple of rest days here and there and some great new friends to help pass the time it was all worth it. Beautiful bog posts of your trip very well done. Thank you for the effort!! Buen camino

kdespot

Past OR future Camino
Francés SJPP-SdC Sept-Oct 2016
I blogged daily from my wonderful 2016 Camino because it was the easiest way to meet the requests for contact of my friends and my elderly mom (https://walkingthecamino2016.wordpress.com/). It became a bit more burdensome as the days progressed, but I disciplined myself to do it each evening over a glass of wine and I was so so happy to have the record when I returned home. Then it served as my cathartic re-entry therapy to make sense of it and to add a bit of factual stuff that had been left out. I printed and bound it and every year at this time I re-walk my Camino. Such a precious possession!

Past OR future Camino
Planning on the pilgrimage 2015
I blogged daily from my wonderful 2016 Camino because it was the easiest way to meet the requests for contact of my friends and my elderly mom (https://walkingthecamino2016.wordpress.com/). It became a bit more burdensome as the days progressed, but I disciplined myself to do it each evening over a glass of wine and I was so so happy to have the record when I returned home. Then it served as my cathartic re-entry therapy to make sense of it and to add a bit of factual stuff that had been left out. I printed and bound it and every year at this time I re-walk my Camino. Such a precious possession!
Great idea. It would take lots of discipline especially after a long day to miss your nap and work on the blog but you have a wonderful permanent record of your travel. I'll try to do the same on my next camino. All the best

Stephan the Painter

Past OR future Camino
Frances 2022
I looked at your blog. Looked promising, but I couldn't find the first post. Just scrolling to the bottom of the page does not work. You have it set to infinite scroll so new posts keep on appearing, and it just is really difficult.

And why would I want to spend that much time for a casual look to see if I find your story compelling? After a few minutes I gave up. And it's a shame, because the disjointed snippets I read were good.

Just a thought: You could solve that problem by turning the "The Camino posts begin with the one that’s called Flying Out," sentence into a link that goes to that blog post instead of making people hunt for it.
I use wordpress and this is really easy to do. You can also create a link to it in your sidebar. Or a search widget in your sidebar. There are multiple ways to make this easy for your visitors.

Last edited:
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery

John A Richard

Past OR future Camino
Frances (2017), Portuguese (2019)
Very well documented record of your experiences. I am hoping to return and do the Camino del Norte in the near future. Thanks for your insight and photos.

Buen Camino

Past OR future Camino
please see signature

@deborahbennett, I have also scanned through the blog prepared by @Jenine. A marvellous feature is the photos and the stories.

I also kept a blog. You can see the link below.

I started long before I left home. En route, my practice was to write some notes each night.
When I had a lay day I would tidy them up, put in the headers and post them one day at a time.
But no photos. I told myself they would come later. Well, later hasn't come yet!

My next suggestion is, when you do a training walk, prepare some notes (best the same day, I think) to find the style and content that works for you.

Kia kaha, kia māia, kia manawanui (take care, be strong, confident and patient)

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads