• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del Norte - Video

evanlow

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
After 11 Caminos, want to Ruta de la Lana next...
The video of my recent Camino del Norte. The transition of the images are fast (1 sec), but it's so you get an idea of the route from beginning to end (I ended up after Santiago walking to Muxia first then Finisterre for finale).

Vimeo
http://vimeo.com/47449438

YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccdz3nEqUeA

Many of the photos are in my blog (from Apr 30 - June 2nd) if you want more commentaries.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The photos you posted on Facebook and on your blog were wonderful - can't wait to look at the video.
So - tell us, in a nutshell, did this route live up to your expectations or not?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sil,

None of my Caminos has let me down. Only my first Camino surpassed my expectations, even though I had to limb my way to Santiago the last two days due to a injured ankle.

So for the Norte:

1. The first third to Santander was the toughest physically, with equally breathtaking scenery.
2. Because of many resorts along the coast, it feels a little less of a pilgrimage than the other routes. Once I turn inland after Ribadeo, it felt like the Camino that we all know.
3. But what really makes this a true Camino like any other routes is... the people! Always the people.
4. And finally, on to Muxia and Finisterre, I didn't really understand the other pilgrim's excitement when they saw the sea. :)

My hats off to the medieval pilgrims that has walked the Norte. I now understand the importance of Camino Frances during the middle ages, the reconquest to make that route available and it's popularity immediately after.

what really makes this a true Camino like any other routes is... the people! Always the people.
I agree. I never quite understand why pilgrims try to avoid them by choosing remoteness. To each his own, of course, but I can get all the isolation I need walking the busiest camino. When one is comfortable alone, then people become the joy, not something to avoid. The bed race exists only in one's mind, but becomes a convenient excuse to indulge a fear of others and choose an isolated walk. Alternative caminos for a change of scenery is completely different from avoiding people. As you say, they are the heart of a pilgrimage.

Thanks for sharing that awesome video. The timing couldnt be any better. I will be doing "el camino del norte" next month :D
I can't wait!!!
Frank

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Really Nice! I have been wanting to do this camino for a long while! This might be enough to do it! I love all the "camino giddy grins"!

Hi, Evan,
Great pictures! I see you took a detour to Cudillero -- did you sleep there or somewhere else? There was no albergue anywhere near there when I walked and so we splurged on a beautiful little hotel rural right down by the water.

Lots of memories in those pictures, it's funny how we all seem to take pictures of the same things. I swear I have one of that goat, too. :)

Buen camino, Laurie

Buen Camino Frank!

Laurie,

I stayed at a one star hotel about 200 meters along the main road out of this town.

As for the goat, I've never seem a more vocal and friendlier goat. Must be the reason why it's in everyone's pictures or memory. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Aunque el reportaje no tenga nada que ver con el camino, en él se puede ver la senda costera que se puede coger si se duerme en San Esteban de Pravia. Empieza en el minuto 9:30 más o menos y ello la recorren al revés de como la haría un peregrino.
Creo que es una buena alternativa para quitar unos kilómetros de asfalto.

http://www.rtpa.es/programa:Mochileros_1283778127.html

Although the story has nothing to do with the way, he can see the coastal path you can take if you sleep in San Esteban de Pravia. Begins at minute 9:30 or so and it run through the reverse of how would a pilgrim.
I think it's a good way to remove a few miles of asphalt.

http://www.rtpa.es/programa:Mochileros_1283778127.html

Awesome video brought back many memories.I did the Camino Norte in 2010, would like to do it again someday.
n

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.